All parent member reviews for The Passion of the Christ

Adult Written byRooster57 April 9, 2008

Most Powerful

I have never before witnessed such a moving and emotional movie. My entire life I have been presented a sanitized version of the crucifixion, it is shocking to finally understand the magnitude of Jesus Christ's sacrifice. I saw nothing derogatory or anti-semmetic about the movie. What I did come away with was a strong message to love your neighbor as Jesus loved us. I also was presented a inkling of what the Virgin Mother experienced when she watched her son be tortured. This is not a film for children - heed the ratings. But, I recommend every adult see this movie and live the message it sends. Love your neighbors.
Adult Written byLowe's man June 18, 2014

a detailed depiction of Jesus's death

Even if you've heard the story of Jesus's death many times before, when watching this movie you'll see that the "process" was much more brutal than you assumed. High school seniors who are undergoing a serious study of religion or the life of Jesus should see this movie too, as they'll see things they won't find anywhere else. Highly recommended.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byCare giver December 16, 2012

great movie

its good movie but voilent
Parent of a 14 year old Written bychickaflik April 23, 2011

Good religious movie-not for younger kids

This is a wonderful film that every Christian needs to see but it's not for little kids. It is very violent but it's a movie about the death of Jesus, do you really expect it to be nonviolent? I think parents need to diside whether their kids can handle it. It's a very real and personal depication of the Easter story. They did leave out a few small things like showing the temple curtain rip and the centurian saying "surely, He was the Son of God". This story follows the Catholic Bible and tradition very close, I'm a Lutheran so there are a few parts that I had never heard of. I watched this on Good Friday with my 14 year old daughter, she could and did handle it. I don't understand why people are making a big deal of the violence, this actually happened and there is a reason it's rated R. The actor that plays Jesus is hurt during the movie-he is actually whipped a few times, he gets his shoulder dislocated during the cross scene (you can here it pop when they're nailing his hands into the cross) and he was struck by lighting but not seriously hurt. It's a good movie and it's snaps you into reality of what really happened.
Parent of a 18 year old Written byJesusrulz666 February 21, 2011

A Film

This is not a Christian film. This is a historical film showing the death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

This is what it is all about

This is why Christians believe what they believe. Love has no bounds.
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 May 9, 2015

One of the most violent films I've ever seen...still it'd be OK for teens

As CSM points out, it all depends on your faith. If your child is very religious (especially Catholic) and is interested in seeing one of the most told stories performed in a very stylized, graphic manner, then I'd say to wait til they were in their later teens before presenting them this film. If you are non-religious like myself, and just wish to see the movie as a movie, and not as an affirmation of faith, maybe wait until you've seen more mature content so you can handle this. It is relentless in its portrayal of Jesus' torture; you will become very familiar with the sound of Jim Caviezel moaning. His performance has been praised, and he does do a fine job in the beginning, expressing the agony of Judas' betrayal. But all he does is wince, moan and scream for the entire film, get spit on, scourged and beaten. Gibson shows us these scenes with slow motion, and especially focuses in on Jesus...falling. We understand the significance: this is a holy man that several groups despised and hated, and crucified because they thought his claims were blasphemous. Don't hammer us over the head with it. The movie does have a lot of interesting symbolism, especially in the specific choice of how Satan looks, and how Judas reacts with life after he turns Jesus over. But a lot of that is taken away with the excessive nature of the violence, like "Unbroken" with Tarantino blood splatter.
Parent of an infant, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18 year old Written bymykidsarebabies April 14, 2015

10+

I KNOW MY 10+ YEAR OLDS CAN HAND LE THIS KINDA VIOLENCE
Parent of a 2, 4, 8, 10, 14, 14, 14, and 17 year old Written byparentof7 March 1, 2015

only if your mature

well I wanted to show my kids the story of jesus how he gave his life for his people it did scare my kids but I did watch it with them even my youngest ones but not my youngest but my 17 year old wasnt scared
Adult Written byEntertainment Medley December 1, 2012

The Passion

Parent of a 8, 8, 9, 12, and 15 year old Written byChrist-Lover April 8, 2012

AMAZING!

Parent Written byMusicRock668 February 27, 2012

very painfull movie Amazing Storyline !

this is best movie ever i has very good story but parents need know is very graphic Movie first of all the story done really yes this is very painfull movie but has great Things think ever one needs see this movie is just Amazing and great acting i think this movie would fine on martue young kid it really dose have very good Role moldel
Adult Written byaiew2009 February 2, 2012

Educational

Depends on the kid. Passion Of The Christ came out when I was 14 or 15. I'm almost 23 now. I cried the first few times I saw it , after that I didn't. If your looking for something educational and religious to watch then this is your movie. If people want to understand and see what Jesus went through for all of us so we wouldn't suffer and go to hell . Then this is the best movie about what happened. But it was obvious way worse then a movie could ever possibly show. The only bad thing is the violence the violence is bad because obviously people were toturing Jesus and doing things to the people that he loved. Obviously kids will most likely get upset watching that happen to him or to anyone. The devil also torments Jesus mother Mary a lot. Like with a demonic looking baby holding him saying my baby's ok and yours Isn't as Jesus is getting whipped. All my brothers and sisters have seen it the only one we had trouble with was my sister was five and shes very emotional and was getting over having cancer and she started crying because shes like why are they doing that to Jesus? So my mom shut the movie off. I think 16 is a bit ridiculous , I'm not sure I can make a age. Depends on the kids maturity or reaction to things. But a lot of people who are religious or want to understand things saw it way before 16. My sisters 11 now , she thinks the movie is sad. But she was able to handle it a few years ago. And also the kids might not freak out that much because most kids wont get the whole movie. Plus there's subtitles in Latin the whole time. And you gotta watch them every second or you'll miss something.
Adult Written byTheSanguineOne June 2, 2011

Awesome Character Surrounded by Violence

Good Role Models: Jesus Christ and Peter are the best role models, as they help each other carry to cross. Violence: Sheesh . . . The violence was total overkill. Jesus is whipped for nearly 30 minutes with shards of glass, as Jews and Romans spit on him. His wounded body carries the cross across the town, and one of the crucified persons has his eyes gouged out by a crow. My Thoughts: Since violence is so readily available, I'd place this film for kids >15 (at the least).
Adult Written byjermainedaman May 30, 2011

It's for Christains only

Well i watched it with my 10 year old sister yesterday night and she covered her eyes a while but got over it.
Adult Written byrockmonster January 23, 2010

GRIP

well, i AM a christian so i ?ed this movie (i can't say i loved this movie, but it definitely moved me and i will definitely see it again) i am hoping my sister will watch it soon... it's cool. hope you don't mind having to read the movie, unless you happen to speak arabic.
Adult Written byuytt2 December 19, 2009

a gory and brutal movie about jessus

wow this movie is awsome its violent,good preformnces,its scary, and it has to do with jessus. there is also a pretty weird ending if your going to watch it dont watch it with religius people they will hate you for life
Parent Written byPlague December 10, 2009

Passion of the Christ.

I didn't really care much for this movie since im an Agnostic. But the acting wasn't all to bad, and would be a great movie for all believers in God.
Adult Written bygreen_goblin May 8, 2009

If they are Christians then I guess it's not off for that age.
Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 14 year old Written byJamesRobertson January 4, 2009