Parent reviews for The Perfect Game

Sentimental, inspiring tale about Little League underdogs.

Adult Written byCarlosvs August 3, 2018

What a movie

This movie is just awesome. I have seen another review of the same movie. Students may also learn how to make a good movie review
Parent of a 8-year-old Written byNick in NH May 13, 2018

A fun, uplifting story with religious overtones that includes overt displays of racism

In terms of movie making, this is a very average film. Our son enjoyed it, but wasn't overwhelmed. The overall message of perseverance is a good one. The film heavily emphasizes the role of religion in the boys' lives from phenomenology to the power prayer. Our family is not religious, so this required some explanation. Further, the film addresses racism head on and shows its effects in terms of exclusion, derogatory language and racial epithets. While this is true to the time and to the story - it is also why it may be better suited for slightly older kids who can process that information properly with guidance.

Parent of a 4 and 7-year-old Written bycolinashley April 2, 2017

Wonderful inspiring movie!

Beautifully filmed with excellent casting. Several teachable messages covered elsewhere in all the other 5-star reviews. Regarding the official reviewer of this movie here on CSM....he has his opinion but I ask in genuine bewilderment as to how someone can be so cynical as to award this movie just 3-stars!
Adult Written byPeter K. Smith April 28, 2015

Powerful Movie!

This is a great movie for the whole family. It will bring you to tears. It is educational in so many ways. Teaches about perseverance, and that if you can dream it, you can make it. It teaches that hard work, no matter how bad the conditions are, pays off. It also teaches about discrimination in the past and odds these kids had to overcome. I don't care how tough you are, this movie will bring you to tears, not once, not twice, many times. One of the best I have ever seen about overcoming odds completely stacked against you.

Parent of a 4, 8, 10, and 11-year-old Written byShaun Marksbury February 2, 2013

Life and faith affirming.

Educational Value
Parent of a 7 and 10-year-old Written byPrudentMom August 30, 2012

Excellent for Family Movie Night

We watched this DVD with our two boys (ages 10 and 7). They play little league baseball and LOVE all things baseball and they really enjoyed it. This was an excellent family film.
Yes, it is sentimental, but honestly, when most movies aimed at kids feature emotionally disturbed comic book superheros with "moderate" violence and "just a little sex", the throwback to old Hollywood sentimentality is a welcome change. We enjoyed this story which celebrates the innocence of children.
I could critique some of the sub plots and minor inconsistencies, but with a movie like this you need to suspend disbelief and lose yourself in the story, in the same way kids do.
Cheech Marin does a surprisingly great job as the priest. My kids groaned when I brought this DVD home for them (it hadn't received any hype on "Nick" or any other network) and ended up watching it twice they loved it so much.
The film presents a great opportunity for a conversation about racism and provides, at a level appropriate to my boys' ages, an example of that terrible time in our nation's history. And to keep it light, some of our national character is redeemed when the underdog Monterray Industrialists become a crowd favorite.
The major themes of the film are, overcoming adversity through faith and perseverance, and redemption (for two of the adult characters who turn to drink to ease their personal suffering).
Parent of a 9-year-old Written byMoviebrat824 April 18, 2010

A great movie and true inspirational story!

This is a great film for all children! A must see!

Adult Written bynhillan April 18, 2010
My 11 year old son and I loved this movie. It is based on a true story and features real people and real human drama (there is some emotional intensity). No strange-looking characters, no special effects! Just a charming, cathartic, ultimately uplifting film. I will not be able to complain that there aren't any good kids movies this year. In fact, I think I have a moral responsibility to see this film again!