Parent reviews for The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Perks of Being a Wallflower Poster Image

Not for the Faint of Heart

This is a very heavy, very mature story about struggling with mental illness, abuse, and making mistakes on the journey to adulthood. Other prevalent themes include alcohol, drug abuse, and sex. I think the merit of this movie can easily be overlooked as it lies mostly in personal interpretation. On the surface it's pretty much a bunch of teenagers doing irresponsible things, but it carries a deeper message of overcoming self-destructive habits, surviving your past, and rediscovering the joy of living through shared moments with other people. I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of this movie, but it's definitely not something I would recommend to everyone. Proceed with caution.

Good movie

This movie stayed true to the book (the author of the book wrote the screenplay) but obviously they couldn't include every detail. There are quite a few drug/alcohol references. I would suggest parents watch it (also read the book) before allowing their younger (12-14) kids to watch/read it. I watched the deleted scenes and there is one about Charlie's sister Candace getting an abortion. Perks is a good coming-of-age movie and has a lot of positive messages of friendship. There are a couple of violent scenes and a handful of sexual innuendos and references. If your child has experienced any sexual abuse, I would not recommend this movie.

Enjoyed the Film, but Not How it Normalizes Drug Use

I am the parent of an 11 year old and a mature almost 14 year old, and while I would be fine with my older child watching "The Perks of Being a Wallflower," it would need to be accompanied by lots of discussion, because while it is a wonderful, very worthwhile film, there is just a lot of drinking, drugs, sex, and partying happening in a way that normalizes and makes them attractive. I love how this movie explores the struggles teens experience with acceptance, connection, rejection, shame, and self respect, and this film puts a light on teen mental health challenges, and lifts the shame in a way that I think is *really* important. But drugs are seen as a vehicle to gain acceptance with peers (pot/hash brownie and a tab of acid), as is sex, to a lesser degree. Normal life can certainly work that way, and almost all kids are going to encounter it in media and situations with their peers, but before 15 and 16 at least, I'd want to be able to discuss it with them as much as is possible.

Captivating and Emotional Film (great for teens)

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is one of the more memorable movies I have seen. It is well thought out, emotional, realistic, and touching. The themes explored in the movie are very real and very relevant, especially for high school and college kids. Which is why it makes a great film for ages 15 and up. However, some of the content may be a bit mature for tweens and younger children. First off, it deals with the depression of a main character who has been molested as a child and who's best friend committed suicide. Also, the movie has a couple non explicit sexual scenes, both verbal, physical, and between same-sex and opposite-sex couples. There is a couple moments of drug use, including laced brownies, acid, and drinking at parties. And lastly, there is language throughout, albeit not too strong. Personally though, I feel that all the stuff I just listed is warranted and completely on topic considering the story's plot. And at the end, even if watching with kids, parents will most likely come to the conclusion that it was worth the watch. The film is a great learning experience, and offers plenty of conversational points that may be important to parents of teens that are growing up. Perks is certainly a must watch film that provides just the kind of edgy story people need to see. I 100% recommend it.

Trigger warning: non explicit sexual abuse of minors has its part in the movie

May be a bit disturbing for sensitive kids

Overall it is a very sweet movie If your young one is sensitive, it might take more of them to sort out the good and the bad in the movie. There are many references to various types of abuse so may be uncomfortable to watch/explain. The movie is about love and friendship and how friends can support each other with a lovely positive end.

Realistic View

This movie is one of my favourites because it shows a realistic side to what it means to become an adult. The problems you go through when it comes to love and friendship + drug and alcohol abuse what is, if we look close to the new teen generation, a normal thing that shouldn´t be hushed up. It even has some lgbtq representation what is important for everyone who may struggle with it themselves. I get the point that some parents don´t want their children to know about these things and I agree: this is NOT a movie for young kids. But if your children are older then 15 they can learn from this movie how confusing and complicated it is to grow up and how to deal with all their feelings. Amazing movie, 11/10 would recommend.

This IS what high school is like

As a 19 year, I can honestly say this is an honest portrayal of high school. If you don't want your children doing drugs, having sex, or drinking then TALK TO THEM ABOUT IT. Its important for teenagers to know what is really out there and not be sheltered. Help your children decide their values, but I don't think this is a movie that shouldn't be watched. It teaches an important message about friends, and shows reality in a true form. The main character is relatable. Over all a GREAT movie.