Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Pillars of the Earth

Impressive medieval miniseries heaps on graphic violence.

Based on 1 review
Adult Written byPeavypie August 16, 2011

The historical context and the details about cathederal construction and structure is very interesting and informative. I highly recommend this book for it ability to keep the readers interest. It consistantly gives conflict and resolutions to keep you riveted to the story.

This book is not for anyone younger than 17. If it is read by those under 18 it should accompany guided discussions and before and after the sexual passages.

Parent of a 11 year old Written bytmn August 29, 2018

Trying too hard to get ratings

The other reviews are for th e book. The mini series is not the book. The language is ridiculous. No one used the term Bitch in 12th century England. Also, the sex is too much. I feel like it was directed by a 12 year old boy that wanted to see every actress naked. The book is by far better. No part of this show is appropriate for anyone younger than 18.

Adult Written byJames Hedrick March 19, 2019

Powerful and Compelling Historical Drama, not for Kids!

The Pillars of the Earth, both the book and miniseries are intense but enjoyable and well written. The story is engaging, the characters believable and the plot complex and many layered. The phenominal acting performances of Ian McShane, Rufus Sewell, Eddie Redmayne, Hayley Atwell, and Matthew Mcfadan are all worthy of emmys. Most of the protagonists are good loving people who put others above themselves and I don't think this gets enough credit for positive role models and messages. The themes are ultimately about loss, struggle, perseverance, and love. There is considerable graphic violence and sexual material, including an intense rape scene, but nothing that is overly gratuitous or unnecessary to the story. There is also some occasional intense language but it is period appropriate and not pervasive. Kids under 18 would do well to find a medieval piece with less sex, nudity, and bloodletting. For those 18 and above who are looking for a deep and complex medieval epic and fantastic characters, I would highly recommend the series or the book. Better yet, get both! It's worth it. I absolutely love this series and cannot praise it enough.