Parent reviews for The Polar Bear King

Norwegian fairy tale is confusing, long, and a bit scary.

No reviews yetAdd your rating
Adult Written byMotorcitymull January 4, 2020

Execution isn’t the best, but the story is fun

It’s pretty cringy, the acting is pretty bad, and the graphics are bad even for the 90s. But with all that said it’s still pretty enjoyable. The thing I like the most is the Princess has a very active role, and is very clever, which is cool to see in a more “traditional” fairytale. Kids will like it.

Parent of a 3-year-old Written bytsweds7 October 11, 2019

Oldie but goodie

Obviously not up to the visual standards we are used to today but I quite enjoyed this movie growing up.
Adult Written by[email protected] May 16, 2016

Beautiful fairy tale film

This is a beautifully filmed live-action adaptation of a Scandinavian fairy tale. I have watched it with children younger than 8, although of course if your particular child is sensitive about scary elements in traditional fairy tales, it might be best to hold off on this one. I was disappointed to see low ratings for this film on this site because it does have strong role models and messages in it--a devoted father, a loyal and loving and brave heroine who is more selfless than her sisters (who are rather shallow but still loyal to the family), a virtuous young king who won't give in to the evil schemes of the witch, and right-minded servants who help the deserving heroes escape. This tale type is especially popular these days because the protagonist is a resourceful woman who goes on a dangerous quest to rescue her husband. Viewers can relate to her coming-of-age conflict between loyalty to her family home in the "winter land" and her lifelong dreams that she is destined to go off to another kingdom, the "summer land." The film is thought-provoking in that even Satan himself points out that "too much evil destroys evil," and then the good characters are able to use the witch's excessive ambitions against her and destroy her. There is a heart-warming intergenerational family reunion at the end. The special effects may seem outdated today but I still think they are charming in the way they depict fairy tale magic and lots of small children like watching old movies and cartoons. I show this film to my college class on folktales and literature.

Adult Written byRaithlyn February 21, 2011

A movie for mature, culturally interested children.

This is a fanciful adaptation of Norwegian folk legends. While certainly not a blockbuster or a roaringly entertaining flick, it still provides a beautifully told story that is commonly seen in watered-down, very PC versions. While sensitive children might not benefit (as there are scenes of wild animals and the subject of overt evil) a mature child, older child, or someone interested in world cultures would be able to handle this just fine as well as learning about different kinds of oral traditions.

The cinematography is beautifully done, especially for a low-budget and older film, and great attention is paid to props and costumes in making this feel more like a filmed play. The story is timeless: faithfulness, keeping your promises, and having the courage to face your own mistakes and your fears. In the end, as with all truly fantastic movies, Good triumphs over Evil.