All parent member reviews for The Princess Bride

Adult Written byshelznh February 25, 2011

Classic movie but not as clean as CSM claims

I love this movie and always have. However I am not sure how Common Sense Media can say that language is not an issue. There are two expletives son of a b---- and, even worse is when the boy utters Jesus' name in a profane way. The torture scene is a little extreme in my opinion. Also there is a tad more than "just kissing" as far as sexy stuff goes including when Wesley refers to Buttercup's "perfect breasts". It is still a classic movie but I must say that I prefer the movie reviews at Plugged In Online as they seem to be much more acurate.
Adult Written bybestiame April 9, 2008

One of my favorites, but it depends on the kid

I have always loved this movie; I can't remember a time when I didn't. When I was a kid, I had a self-imposed tradition of watching it on Christmas Day in the afternoon when I was bored. Recently my stepdaughter (6.75 at the time) was sick in bed and my husband and I decided we'd watch it with her. What a mistake! I hope we didn't ruin it for her forever. I always thought, "what's not to like?" but she's not really used to movies with almost constant fighting, a lot of witty (but often fast-paced and subtle) dialog, and very little overt physical comedy. Most of the jokes went over her head, and she proclaimed it to be "scary" and "boring". The sort of magical parts (Miracle Max, Westley's return) aren't the fantastic and wondrous "Disney-style" magic, either. All in all, a great movie in my opinion, but not really for kids under 8 or 9 unless they have a decent sense of nuance.
Parent Written bytobewunaskwun March 26, 2010

Practically Perfect in Every Way...Practically

I really, really, really love this movie! My wife, my child and myself just watched the blu ray version, which we got today, and it was just as enjoyable as ever. I recommend this movie to any seeking truly family friendly entertainment, with only a couple of concerns. Those being as follows: The" R.O.U.S.es" might be enough to frighten very young children. The torture of Westley is pretty intense. The battle between the Spaniard and his nemesis, the Duke, has quite a lot of very realistic blood. There are a very few deaths, but those are not graphic and, at least one, happens in a, yes, hilarious manner. Also, Westley does make one remark about Buttercup's "perfect breasts." Still, even this is done in a somewhat delicate manner which is more affectionate than sensual. Furthermore, the grandson becomes really stressed with his grandfather on a couple of occassions over what is taking place in the book, even to the point of being rude, but never apologizes to his grandfather. One time, he is so upset he exclaims, "Jesus!" Which, in this otherwise nearly perfect movie, is even more out of place. This move I'll recommend for eight and above. Still, my daughter saw it at five or six. I was there with her to cover her eyes at any "bad parts." (i.e. blood, R.O.U.S.es, or kissing, etc. ) That being said, if you do the same, I think it would be fine for even younger children. Yes, we reccommend this movie and consider it a classic in our home. It's just too bad that we can't yet buy a blu ray player with TV Guardian. It's just too bad that we can't always separate the baby from the bathwater.
Adult Written byJacieDaize October 18, 2011

Scary content to young kids

Fun movie but there's talk of suicide and a bit of sexual content. Lots of violence. Been a while since I've seen it.
Parent Written bySusan Marlowe CPA July 11, 2011

Wonderful movie but...

This film scared the living daylights out of me when I was a kid! Do I love it now? Yes. But if a child is sensitive to violence, a parent may want to think twice about this film. While the violence is not graphic by today's standards, it is highly personal and inflicted on characters that the audience cares about. That being said, the twist on the fairy tale is a welcome one and I think that it really is a fun film for a tween who is coming out of her princess stage. There is also enough adventure to satisfy the boys who may want to watch it.
Parent Written bytanshep August 20, 2011

Princess Bride is awesome but has a torture scene

Such a great movie. Other kids will refer to this movie ("My name is Inigo Montoya ...") but heads up--there is a torture scene. My girls weren't expecting it and freaked out. It looks comical to older kids and adults, but sensitive kids may be disturbed.
Parent of a 2 and 6 year old Written byEmmas Dad February 25, 2011

Means well, some iffy content.

The movie uses the name of Jesus in vain (especially offensive since it is a child who says it). The B-word is also used once. A TV guardian may take care of that. One man goes on a drinking binge. There is a torture scene that leaves the main character presumed dead. The movie means well but treats life and death very lightly.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byemmybaldwin January 29, 2011

the rating is correct better for 8+

i love this movie so much!! but the torture scene is definitely something to fast forward through--i don't even like watching it-- and depending on your kid, the shrieking eel and rodents can be scary.
Parent Written byArbor Mom November 15, 2013

Troubling reference to abuse; warrants discussion with your family!

We like this movie EXCEPT for a troubling line in the middle. The hero, disguised as a pirate in a mask, argues with the heroine about why she gave up on her true love. After her wistful reply, he angrily raises his hand to strike her. She cowers, and he harshly quips, "where I come from there are penalties when a woman lies!" A friend told us he was watching this movie on a bus ride for a school trip, and at this part of the dialogue, a classmate gaped and asked, "What was that??" He replied, "Oh that was just Disney advocating for domestic violence." Ah. Please be sure to discuss this with your kids! Not okay to strike a woman for lying. Or anyone.
Parent of a 5 and 11 year old Written bydpd November 27, 2011

Love the movie but not for young kids

I love "The Princess Bride" but I agree with the other comments about the language issue, particularly the violent, vengeful "s-o-b" uttered by Inigo at the end. That one scene is why I would push the rating to 9+. We watched this when my older son was 9 and it was strong but welcome. He enjoyed it but was sensitive to the violence.
Parent Written bykiltkop June 4, 2011

Classic!

Fun classic everyone should see.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byTrebuchet May 26, 2011

A wonderful movie, which can be watched over and over again

This is one of my favorite books, and the movie was a very good adaptation. I've probably watched it a dozen times. I even watched it with my 6-year-old (after some careful discussions about the story) and we took it in little pieces. She handled it fine, but generally I'd show it to an 8-year-old, not 6. If you like the movie, give the book a try, but hold off until they are 10 or 11. The author's commentary, which is fictional but sounds real, has a lot of stuff about infidelity, unhappy marriages, and disdain for one's own child. None of that is in the movie, though.
Parent of a 6 and 7 year old Written byardrummo November 11, 2010

Great, but a little scary

I love it, but a few scenes are too scary for my younger child
Parent of a 4, 9, 12, and 14 year old Written bydeann22666 June 30, 2009

over all a great movie for the family. Nothing that major to mess up the movie.
Parent Written bybebarce December 10, 2014

There are educational values inherent to the movie

Aside of course from the most important of all learned facts from the movie "To never gamble with a Sicilian when death is on the line!" there is a great deal of value to be learned in the art of reading to ones children, and the effect of being read to. One can learn how conflict, even conflict that has reached acts of physical confrontation, can be resolved by level-headedness, and the fairness, and understanding each others motives. It is this consideration that saves both Inigo Montoya and Fezzik by allowing Westley to rest before a sword fight, or Fezzik to warn him. It is the empathy of Westley then shows them in return, that turns enemies into friends. These are values to live by. These are lessons one should always learn.
Adult Written byhelsingmusique November 9, 2014

A Classic

I can only name a handful of people I know who did not watch this growing up, this movie is something everyone I know has seen at least once and I have never heard a single argument about this movie. It is a romance movie, it has action, it can be watched by both boys and girls without problems as the movie isn't gendered by society. We all still watch this movie as we've grown out and claim it to be one of the best movies ever, it's charming and quirky.
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian February 7, 2014

When Your Kids Ask to Watch This, Say, "As You Wish!"

The movie that can make a parent eager to let his or her kids watch it is rare these days, but The Princess Bride is one. Buttercup and Westley are a great couple, both passionate and pure. The usual fairytale love story also gets a major upgrade because here, their love is tried and tested, not rushed through a kiss and a marriage in one day. Sidekicks Fezzik and Inigo are also well-developed, especially since at first, they seem like the bad guys. Whether or not you see Christian undertones in the story, it's a beautifully told tale with plenty of adventure and romance. Some caveats do prevent me from making a recommendation to older kids. There are a few scary moments, such as the shrieking eels and the Pit of Despair scene. The final swordfight between Inigo and Rugen is quite bloody, and Inigo's quest for revenge is not something you'd want children to emulate. For all but the smallest moviegoers, however, this flick is a true (twoo) pleasure.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byDanzaJoy February 2, 2014

Has some inappropriate scenes and messages

I'm surprised to see the rating of age 8 and no warnings on the editor's pick. This is one of my fav all-time movies but didn't want my kids to see it yet (ages 9, 10). Their are scenes of frequent dismissiveness from the young woman to the young man and yet he falls in love with her anyway. It might be a great example of compassion, or it might send the message that it's okay to be treated with disrespect. The theme of vengeance also figures strongly, which I'm work hard to erase from my children's habits (or at least ideation). And aside from the violence in general, there are the multiple scenes of torture. We ended up seeing in the waiting room of our pediatric dental clinic. I let it go and then my child started asking, "Are they really hurting him? Why are they doing that? Does that machine really work?" coupled with the agonizing screams heard throughout the forest. This is, at best, a tween movie. However, I would encourage parental supervision and discussion. If the family isn't in the habit of having these conversations with cooperative or thoughtful children, then I'd wait until they were older.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bykgsandd January 12, 2014

Ok for kids if you don't mind pausing to explain things every 5 mins.

We watched this with our 9 year old twins (girl and boy). It was fun but there is so much that needs to be explained and requires context to understand. The kids liked it but found it more strange than funny. Meanwhile the adults were laughing while the kids were confused. After we explained A LOT they got some of it.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bycrankylibrarian January 3, 2014

A classic that never gets old

A romantic, swashbuckling parody of romantic swashbucklers,and one of the funniest movies ever. A dream cast: deadpan Cary Elwes, sweet Robin Wright Penn, mustache twirling Christopher Guest, hissable Chris Sarandon, agile yet inarticulate Mandy Patinkin, wacky Billy Crystal, huggable Andre the Giant and a squawking Wallace Shawn star in this classic fairytale, framed by a lovely story of a grandfather (Peter Falk) reading aloud to his initially skeptical yet increasingly enthralled grandson.