Kid reviews for The Producers (1968)

Slapstick comedy-musical -- not meant for kids.

Teen, 14 years old Written byMelBrooksFan September 2, 2016

Must-see film for comedy fans

No wonder this movie is considered such a classic! It was a revolutionary film when it was first released back in 1968, and I truly believe that it helped open the door for modern comedies. Zero Mostel (R. I. P.) and Gene Wilder (R. I. P.) are hilarious as Bialystock and Bloom, the former a con man who swindles old women into giving him money and the latter a timid, hysterical accountant who gets dragged into his client's scheme to create the worst play ever made in order to make a quick buck, with the end result being "Springtime for Hitler." Oh, and the film is filled to the brim with offensive humor that often crosses the line. Alright, so given all of that, the movie is obviously not for young kids or anyone who is not okay with offensive comedy. But those who can handle it will probably love this movie!

Teen, 13 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 October 6, 2012

Mel Brooks comedy is sexy and funny

this hilarious first movie of the ever talented Mel Brooks is both funny and engaging. but be warned that this comedy has some sex, including a long opening sequence of the main character doing some strange things with old women. there is little violence though. a theater is blown up, a gun is shot, and slaps and punches are abound. all in all, this comedy is perfect for younger kids.

Teen, 15 years old Written by1upmushroom October 5, 2012

Comedy Classic.

What else can I say about the Producers that hasn't already been said? The premise is simple but still effective. A sleazy broadway producer and a meek accounting agent try to make a surefire flop. Why? Because apparently if you raise a lot of money for a flop you get to keep the money you raised and you won't have pay the investors back.

So the two decide to produce a play called Springtime for Hitler, which is as the producer called "A love letter to Hitler". Then they get the worse director who turns it into a stinking musical and then they get a beatnik to play Hitler. So you'd think this wouldn't last a number right? Well it almost doesn't but then they see the beatnik playing Hitler and suddenly assume that this is a farce.

That's the main plot and while there's nothing incredibly R-rated about this movie it's definitely not a family film (I don't even think it's rated). There's a couple of adult jokes, mostly to do with the Nazi playwright plus the broadway producer makes money by having fun with old ladies.

However what's really funny are the main characters played by the great Zero Mostel and the very funny Gene Wilder. They play each other off perfectly and are a great comedic team. The beatnik who plays Hitler is also very funny with his performance as Hitler. It's so over the top you gotta love it.

I give this film a 5 out of 5. If you don't own it you should. Just don't show it to your children until they're older.

Teen, 16 years old Written byhamstergurl09 April 17, 2011

Classic Mel Brooks Film

This is a classic comedy film. It's very clever and original. Although I think the musical version of this is better, this is still funny. I recommend it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMissGrace4 July 1, 2010

Not As Bad As It Seems

I've been watching this move since I was like 7 (although I couldn't understand most of it), so it's not that bad. There are a little sexual things, but nothing explicit.

Teen, 14 years old Written byKaty0 September 18, 2009

Teen, 15 years old Written byanimalloverkt April 9, 2008

The remake is SO much better

This looks positively archaic compared to the (fabulous) musical remake that just came out recently. The plot is there, and there is some humor, but the new one is SO much better compared to this. I watched this one because I am such a fan of the new one and was disappointed. All the lines are basically the same, but this one is so stylized it's hard to believe. This one is more appropriate, but for older viewers, the new one is the choice to make. Gene Wilder is good, but Matthew Broderick outshines him in all areas. Overall: OK, but the remake is the best.
Teen, 14 years old Written bywookiepie93 April 9, 2008