Kid reviews for The Producers (1968)

The Producers (1968) Poster Image

Pretty funny

Could have got a bit edgier with its humour but relatively enjoyable

Another treat for fans of quirky Mel Brooks comedy

Mel Brooks displays more of his classic comedy in The Producers. Except this humor is different—in a more weird/quirky way; nonetheless, the humor still is effective in evoking laughter from the audience. As a matter of fact, the quirkiness of the humor makes it more effectively funny. This aspect plays as an effective tool of creating funny moments in The Producers. The Producers doesn’t just have quirky but effective humor, it has good characters with understandable qualities. We are able to understand the characters’ motivations due to their actions throughout the film. These motivations are clearly stated but still subtly displayed throughout the film, another smart aspect of this Mel Brooks production. The characters are also very good due to their complex portrayal. The main characters in the film are likable characters, but they also are motivated by a greedy desire for money/fame. These motivations aren’t particularly admirable, but at the same time, you root for the characters, which makes them very complex. These smart concepts created by Mel Brooks led him to win an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay, and he certainly deserved it for this film. However, the mature content displayed throughout the film makes this more appropriate for teens and up. Here is a brief content description of the film: Positive messages: N/A Positive role models: N/A. The main characters are motivated by a desire for money and fame, and swindle/cheat old ladies for their own profit. Violence: 4/10. Some slapstick violence—characters are injured in several scenes. An explosion occurs in one scene, this has a comic tone. Shooting occurs in another scene, and guns are brandished in a couple scenes. Comical injury with a wrench in one scene. Sex: 6/10. Sexual content isn’t graphic, but some of the content is a little mature for young kids. Sexual favors are implied in a couple scenes with nothing explicit shown. Suggestive costume wear in a few scenes; some cleavage is displayed. A stereotypical portrayal of homosexuality; nothing explicit is shown. Profanity: 4/10. Song lyrics handle sensitive topics such as anti-Semitism; anti-Semitism is portrayed throughout the lyrics. No swearing occurs in the film, however, but some song lyrics could be sensitive to people. Drinking/Drugs/Smoking: 4/10. A couple instances of drinking in the film; no drinking to excess of which I remember. However, characters do drink occasionally in the film. Nonetheless, apart from some mature content, The Producers still has more effective Mel Brooks humor. This time, the humor is different and more bizarre, but still evokes laughter from the audience due to its quirkiness. The characters are also well-written, as their motivations are clearly though subtly stated throughout the film, which helps us understand our characters and their motivations. Their portrayal as people with good and bad sides make you root for the main characters, even though their deeds aren’t particularly admirable. The portrayal of these characters give them a complexity. The Producers will certainly be a treat for comedy fans. I give The Producers 4 out of 5 stars, and recommend it to mature teens 14 and up.

Must-see film for comedy fans

No wonder this movie is considered such a classic! It was a revolutionary film when it was first released back in 1968, and I truly believe that it helped open the door for modern comedies. Zero Mostel (R. I. P.) and Gene Wilder (R. I. P.) are hilarious as Bialystock and Bloom, the former a con man who swindles old women into giving him money and the latter a timid, hysterical accountant who gets dragged into his client's scheme to create the worst play ever made in order to make a quick buck, with the end result being "Springtime for Hitler." Oh, and the film is filled to the brim with offensive humor that often crosses the line. Alright, so given all of that, the movie is obviously not for young kids or anyone who is not okay with offensive comedy. But those who can handle it will probably love this movie!

Mel Brooks comedy is sexy and funny

this hilarious first movie of the ever talented Mel Brooks is both funny and engaging. but be warned that this comedy has some sex, including a long opening sequence of the main character doing some strange things with old women. there is little violence though. a theater is blown up, a gun is shot, and slaps and punches are abound. all in all, this comedy is perfect for younger kids.

Comedy Classic.

What else can I say about the Producers that hasn't already been said? The premise is simple but still effective. A sleazy broadway producer and a meek accounting agent try to make a surefire flop. Why? Because apparently if you raise a lot of money for a flop you get to keep the money you raised and you won't have pay the investors back. So the two decide to produce a play called Springtime for Hitler, which is as the producer called "A love letter to Hitler". Then they get the worse director who turns it into a stinking musical and then they get a beatnik to play Hitler. So you'd think this wouldn't last a number right? Well it almost doesn't but then they see the beatnik playing Hitler and suddenly assume that this is a farce. That's the main plot and while there's nothing incredibly R-rated about this movie it's definitely not a family film (I don't even think it's rated). There's a couple of adult jokes, mostly to do with the Nazi playwright plus the broadway producer makes money by having fun with old ladies. However what's really funny are the main characters played by the great Zero Mostel and the very funny Gene Wilder. They play each other off perfectly and are a great comedic team. The beatnik who plays Hitler is also very funny with his performance as Hitler. It's so over the top you gotta love it. I give this film a 5 out of 5. If you don't own it you should. Just don't show it to your children until they're older.

Classic Mel Brooks Film

This is a classic comedy film. It's very clever and original. Although I think the musical version of this is better, this is still funny. I recommend it.

Not As Bad As It Seems

I've been watching this move since I was like 7 (although I couldn't understand most of it), so it's not that bad. There are a little sexual things, but nothing explicit.

not rated for age

The remake is SO much better

This looks positively archaic compared to the (fabulous) musical remake that just came out recently. The plot is there, and there is some humor, but the new one is SO much better compared to this. I watched this one because I am such a fan of the new one and was disappointed. All the lines are basically the same, but this one is so stylized it's hard to believe. This one is more appropriate, but for older viewers, the new one is the choice to make. Gene Wilder is good, but Matthew Broderick outshines him in all areas. Overall: OK, but the remake is the best.
not rated for age