Kid reviews for The Purge: Election Year

Third violent Purge is more political but not very smart.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMovie_Expert1 September 28, 2016

Violent, yet has a lot of discussion points

The film, while very violent and bloody, has a lot of controversial subject matter that might be able to start a discussion. The whole point of the film is to start a political discussion, and about how why a purge would be bad, and provide political commentary on America as a whole. Because of this, it would be a great thing to discuss with your 14 year olds or above. However, there are definitely some concerns that would make me give it a higher age rating if it didn't have the aforementioned commentary. There is a whole lot of violence, with guns, knives, rituals, people being tied up, threats, axes, etc. It's mayhem throughout its nearly 2 hour runtime. One massive issue is the scene where (MINOR SPOILERS) the Senator and Frank Grillo's character are surrounded by menacing figures dressed in uncle Sam, statue of liberty, etc. costumes and threaten to torture and kill her. It's very menacing, and could potentially give someone nightmares. Another scene shows a helpless man, tied down, being stabbed. If your child is sensitive to this stuff, you might want to fast forward through these scenes. There is some swearing throughout, but I almost never judge a film by its swearing, as most middle schoolers have heard a lot worst. However, there is very prominent usage of the word c__ksucker, which could be a concern for some parents. Overall, it's a very violent film, albeit one that could start up some discussion points.

Teen, 17 years old Written byManOfMidNights July 9, 2016

Very Entertaining If You're Into That Kind Of Stuff

I saw this movie on opening night with my parents, and we all were pretty satisfied. Unlike some, we took this movie from a fantasy perspective and didn't really look at it from the political or social commentary many hold it up to be, so that's probably a big part of our enjoyment. Another big part is our tendency to find humor in ironic/awkwardly executed violence, so we actually took many parts of the movie as a comedy.

All in all, a non-stop violence fest (not quite a grind house film, but close); I work at the movie theater part time, and definitely the most violent thing we've had for a long. Deaths include people being shot with pistols, shotguns, and rifles (usually at close range and eager to show the carnage, esp. in several massacre scenes), people being executed with guillotines and knife stabbings, and several close-range fights. As mentioned, several massacres occur, including one with 4 teenage/young adult-ish girls being run over (a pair of legs literally flies away) and executed point blank with a shotgun; also a riot of foreigners is mowed down by snipers. Some other ones are also present, but not as bad imo. The first scene is, to put it lightly, pretty ghoulish, so be warned. Language is very strong, esp. in the first 10 minutes. No sexual content whatsoever. Definitely for those who are prepared for the ride (I'd recommend watching Anarchy to get a feel for what's gonna happen) and not for those who intend to get offended by any possible political or social agendas. Finding humor in violence is also a plus, and kids will probably like it for that.

Teen, 17 years old Written byjoey123456j July 1, 2016

very much a movie that involves modern day politics. overall its pretty good a lot of action but it makes it realistic.

Teen, 14 years old Written byEthan_whaterver May 20, 2020

Great Movie Concept

The movie had a really great concept with a major political aspect to it. I have to say it was a little more violent than the first 2, and with tons of language, it makes this movie for 14+. That being said, the acting was great, and besides a few noticeable mistakes that are too hilarious to go unnoticed, its fine. Oh also, parents, the beginning scene might be a bit frightening because it does happen in real life, so just be warned.

Teen, 13 years old Written byDatboi22 May 20, 2020
Teen, 13 years old Written bybryanisbeast06 December 9, 2019

when i first watched it at nine i was a little confused but i watched it back to back like 9 times it was really good you should watch it 2

Teen, 14 years old Written byVenicediamond October 23, 2019
It wasn’t too scary but it was kind of violent and there was a bit of swearing

Teen, 13 years old Written byBrickrocks May 29, 2019

Why so much hate

All of the purge movies are violent as are any horror movies but these ones help you to show how corrupt government officials can be and it raises many questions about yourself and the people around you. More than anything it leaves you thinking “Would I Purge?”

Teen, 14 years old Written byevibear_11 February 12, 2019

Yet again.......just hate for a movie that isn’t that bad

I’ve been reading all this negativity that really doesn’t need to be said. This movie wasn’t bad at all. It’s not the best...but it’s not so horrible. I think bringing politics was a good idea but it was rather weak than strong. Coming from a purge fan, I’d say it was okay and so much better than The Purge Anarchy. Another thing I’m reading is the whole 18+ thing. I’m a teen and seriously this movie wouldn’t be 18+ for me. I watched all the movies and I’m absolutely fine, I guess it really depends on the maturity of the kid, if they can handle seeing scary things without having nightmares. But 18+ is crazy....I think teens 14 and up are good for now.

Teen, 15 years old Written byNmcgrann13 August 22, 2018

EXTREMELY VIOLENT

Usually, when I see r rated movies... I have no problem. My parents are usually over protective of me and what I see. This movie was horrifying. The plot was cool, but the ways that people are killed in this movie are horrible, brutal deaths. I would only show this to kids who are extremely mature.

Kid, 12 years old July 11, 2018

The Purge: Election Year Review

This is a very good movie though it has some iffy stuff for teens 13 and under. During the start of the film, there are brutal killings done by a masked purger. There are beheadings, gun violence and lots of stabbing. Also, the language is too inappropriate. There are many uses of swearwords. My Rating R for strong violence, terror, some drug use and strong language throughout
Teen, 13 years old Written byShaylaseymour877 July 7, 2018

What a 13 yrold thinks

Honestly I think even 12 year Olds can watch it I mean the language is bad but it's not that scary I'd there the type to not pay attention to the words and meaning they will be fine I mean even if the hey do its probably fine i mean most kids do swear be hide parents backs

Teen, 17 years old Written byLori R. September 8, 2017
Teen, 15 years old Written byJMS12392952 May 29, 2017

VERY SILLY AND DUMB

This movie is way worse than The Purge: Anarchy. I liked Purge 2, and Purge 3 is laughable and boring.
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavispittman March 15, 2017

Not as good as the first, but still pretty good

This third purge film centers around a United States Senator (Elizabeth Mitchell) that is running for president and wants to abolish the purge once and if elected. The acting in the movie is good from Mitchell and frank grillo, who is the man protecting Senator Roan on the night of the purge, they both also display great positive messages by risking their lives to get elected and end the purge once and for all. The store owner in the film also displays very positive admirable attributes including protecting others and being kind. Although there are good moral characters in the film, there are also depictions of graphic bloody violent acts including: decapitation, hangings, stabbings, and shootings. The disturbing twisted church sacrifice scene is the most disturbing and malevolent scene. The language is also very rough. Uses of c**ksucker, f**k, sh*t, c**t, and more. I think teens 15+ can handle it, especially since good does win out in the end and good moral characters stand up for what is right amongst all the evil.

Teen, 15 years old Written byghatzis2001 December 23, 2016

Teen, 16 years old Written byTornadosplash44 October 30, 2016

The Purge that triumphs them all!!!!!!

This film was just as good as Anarchy, if not better!!!!! Definitely a plot twist also due to the Purge rules too. However this movie can be inappropriate for younger teens. The film contains frequent strong language. Such as f**k, s**t, motherf**ker, c**t, c**ksucker, and more. Violence is the star of the show, and the violence in this Purge film is much more disturbing and bloody than the first two. We're talking lots of dead bodies, bloody gunshots, decapitation, hangings, and more. Due to the explicit language and bloody violence, this movie is best left to teens 17 and up.

Teen, 14 years old Written byNzkool October 25, 2016

NOT FOR KIDS!!!

this movie had sooooo much searing in it and some crude jokes. there is a lot of c**t in it a lot of f***k ing and motherf***ker in it and alot of violence.

Teen, 15 years old Written byDylanjr3 October 12, 2016

Best in the series!

Best movie yet but gets more disturbing and violent.

Teen, 17 years old Written bywizzy 249 October 12, 2016