All teen and kid member reviews for The Purge

Teen, 16 years old Written bySean Broucek June 6, 2013

Thought-Provoking, violent film deals with intense ideas.

Parents, this mind-blowing horror-drama hybrid from the director of Sinister is probably on your teen's radar. Just know, most of the mature content will be fine for age 15+. The year is 2022, and there is a 12-hour period where all crime is legal, including murder. One family must decide to kill an innocent man to save themselves, or face the deadly consequences that will follow. I personally enjoyed this movie very well. It's one of my favorite movies now. There is some pill popping, swearing and violence. Violence includes surveillance footage of acts of brutal violence and murder, a stabbing, punching, kicking, slapping, brief torture, and bloody attacks, but it is mostly the disturbing images that are the most mature. Images of bloody handprints, sliced body parts, bloody fingers, dead bodies, and the storyline is built on thematic violence. Kids use medical prescribed drugs, Language includes infrequent use of f--k and s--t, used in derogatory terms. Also includes a middle finger gesture. I would rate this movie PG-13 For Thematic Violence Involving Some Disturbing Images, Brief Strong Language, & Drug Use, and that most mature teens can handle.
Teen, 13 years old Written bynv2pa October 20, 2013

CRAZYYYYYYY!!

I saw this movie with my aunt just over the summer and I LOVED IT!!!!!! Yes it has some violence but if your a parent and thing your kid can handle it, then let them watch it! If you feel the need to tell them to leave during it, then you can, but as a 13 year old, I say 10 and up is the PERFECT age.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCWG1 November 9, 2013

Not good, and cliche movie.....

Bad movie especially if you are calling it a horror film. The issue is the bad acting, weak plot, and ridiculous all around. This movie features violence including a few stabbings but more of gunshots, and it isn't really that strong or graphic. To some kids this movie would come off as intense, but to a lot I think it wouldn't be to a lot of people. Some language was used, and it contained a few uses of F*** and S***, but it is pretty mild R with language and violence. There is no sex or nudity in this except for some kissing. This movie had violence within and is the main reason for the R, but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be. Suggested for mature 10, but don't bother it wasn't even that good.
Teen, 14 years old Written byShnep007 August 12, 2013

HILARIOUSLY STUPID!

I'm a wimp with horror movies (I was scared of "The Sixth Sense [1999]") but this movie was very predictable. Director James DeMonaco hasn't made many other movies and I respect his attempt at a horror movie. When making a horror film, it's probably hard to make it scary because as the director you know what's going to happen so you have to overestimate the suspense. He overestimated the suspense a little too much because I knew when a murderer was going to appear (and I bet everyone else in the theater did too). The murderers didn't even appear with surprise, they just put them into focus. To make it more suspensful, the lights in the house were off the whole movie for absolutely no reason. Wouldn't the family want to have them on to help them find a murderer. I bet this is just because DeMonaco ran out of suspense strategies. Seriously, all they had were flashlights. A thriller is also meant to have plot twists and James DeMonaco also tried to add a plot twist [SPOILER ALERT AHEAD] that their neighbor that has an appearance in the beginning turns against them when she says she's saving them form the murderers but is actually there to kill them. I knew by her facial expressions in the beginning that she would do this. It was a very cheesy movie with people always mentioning constitutional stuff and saying how they are proud to be an American because of the purge (blah, blah, blah). The only upsides to the movie are the cinematography and the acting. In case you don't know, here's a brief summary: in the year 2022 or something like that, an American law exists that gives people a whole night once a year to commit any crime they can think of (murder, robbery, etc.). this law is known as the purge, which means release. The purge has helped America reduce unenployent to 1% and people letting out their agression they keep inside, but of course there are negative points to it, too. As you can tell, this story would've worked much better as a political drama. On one purge, the youngest son in a family of four lets a man who was asking for help into their house without permission. This leads to the murderers with smiley masks who were after the man knocking on their door and asking for him back in a certain amount of time or else they will break into the house. They eventually do as the famliy struggles to do what's good and this leads to unexpected consequences. Not really that unexpected actually. This movie contains some positive messages about how wrong a law such as the purge can be and people coming to realization about that, but it's still a really dark movie; I don't how people have a big problem with the violence in the movie but their is a stabbing, camera footage of murders and beatings, some shootings with blood, a woman gets slammed into a table and gets a bloody nose, and a man is tied in duct tape and they stick a knife in his wound; Two teens embrace on top of each other and make out, the girl unbuttons a bit, but they stop before it goes wrong; One or two uses of "f--k" and a middle finger; Adults drink wine as part of their dinner meal.
Kid, 10 years old March 16, 2014

Pretty scary but in a good way!

I think the movie is very scary, probably one of the top five scariest I’ve seen but in a good way. There is no nudity, some violence but could have been worse because they don’t show much up close. It’s a great scary movie because it makes you feel very nervous. I think you should be at least about 9 years old, or at least old enough not to have a lot of night mares.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLillliiiaaannn November 11, 2013

Don't Even Bother!

This movie is HORRIBLE! Don't even bother watching it! Of course the previews look GREAT, but the movie itself isn't that good. The violence isn't into detail and there is some language but it doesn't matter because the movie is bad. I just saved you ten dollars!
Teen, 13 years old Written byAwesomesauce3 September 30, 2013

Smart movie with violence and messages about society

This was an excellent movie in my opinion but has very strong violence with shooting,stabbing,bashing faces in with guns,one of the main characters die and has very good ideas about society and has some kissing scene switch groping and some language I would recommend this to any one 12 or older
Teen, 14 years old Written byPeythepenguin June 21, 2013

Good, but some iffy stuff

Pretty good, but a little forgettable. Language isn't too bad, a couple -f words and -s words, but not constant. Violence is what gives the movie its R rating. The worst is when a character sticks a letter opener in a bullet wound(so gross), other than that just shooting, stabbing, also an assault with a pool ball, and many failed attempts to hack, shoot, stab, and beat. The opening of the movie is violent survalence videos from previous purges. Also some "petting" and brief making out between teens.
Teen, 16 years old Written byUnknownpearson June 7, 2013

Disturbing

Great but disturbing
Teen, 16 years old Written byDog Bone November 2, 2013

Good

Violence is bad for an R movie but is still above PG-13. A fair amount of language. Good storyline and fairly good acting. Gets more like a slasher near the end.
Kid, 12 years old July 27, 2014

Good Climax, Crappy Ending

This movie many teens are wanting to see... It does have some intense moments where you might scream a little... This movie isn't as scary as I thought it was going to be but still, an occasional scream might happen once or twice...
Teen, 17 years old Written byarandomperson August 15, 2013

Violence well used

Really about a 4.5 in my opinion. Some people think the message is drowned out by the violence, but i am fairly psychology-oriented and loved it. Closed my eyes sometimes, but still great. I hate horror movies if you want to know.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMinzy21 July 16, 2014

Meh.

Good plot. Notice that I only said good, not awesome. The plot about 12 hours of freedom, including murder and crime. The bad part about it is that some scenes make things so boring and cheesy. The acting is alright, it's just that they should take that good acting and put it somewhere else cause this movie wasn't as good as I thought. Also, they had every type of gun they can take but NO armor.. seriously..I just think that the director wants this movie to have some of the good guys killed. Don't think I would recommend this movie but I've seen worse.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymattguy15 June 21, 2013

the purge

some language nothing over the top and some violence shootings killing stabbings and fighting .
Teen, 17 years old Written byIlovemovies❤️❤️❤️ July 29, 2014

Is it a movie to watch with your kids?

As far as I'm concerned, The Purge is a great movie with great actors/actresses. When it comes to sex/sexual content and references, it's not to serious bit there is a scene where a couple are making out with clothes on but you do see partial bits of the woman's thigh. There is another scene where the same couple are actually attempting to have sex while the boy caresses the girl you see her brawl and that's about how far the actual scene goes, so technically it's not enough content to actually call it a sex scene. Language can be pretty brief at times but it's not very frequent. Language includes some of the "f--k" word, "son of a bitch", "bitch", "f----r", "mother f----r" etc. Now violence is pretty graphic and very mature. At time it can be very bloody, brutal, gruesome, and terrifying. On the other hand, I believe that kids have a right to know what actually goes on at times on the streets every day (but that's just my opinion). "The Purge" has some strong language, gruesome/bloody images, hardcore violence, and some sexual situations. I'm not saying that it's a bad movie, but you might want to check that your kid/s are mature/comfortable enough to handle these kids of situations. There are also some great role models in this movie such as the father (who makes a great effort to save his family), and the son (who sees a homeless man about to be hunted down and instead of just watching the son saves him).
Teen, 13 years old Written bybands4life September 28, 2014

My Review on "The Purge"!

Parents, you should know that this "Purge" is way tamer than the second. This one is kind of like a hard PG13. The last 20 minutes have some blood and violence, but thats about it. There is about 3 uses of f--k, 6 uses of s--t, and a handful of uses of hell and damn. Language isn't much of a problem as you can see. The first 60 minutes may bore some people, as its just the people in the masks threatening the family, and the family looking for the man. In the first 20 minutes, a girls boyfriend is shot (very brief, some blood is shown, not graphic at all though). A man briefly presses on a mans wound, its pretty disgusting, but brief. The boy helped the man, and towards the end the man helps the family. 13+, 4/5 stars. My MPAA Rating: PG13 - For Intense Sequences of Violence, Terror, Menace, Bloody Images, and Brief Strong Language
Teen, 14 years old Written byilikemoviesandfood September 29, 2014

so-so

I literally just finished watching this, believe me im not all that good with scary movies and i only just had to guts to watch this movie but when i did it is not as scary as you think it would be. The only thing that makes your heart beat a bit faster is the suspense and the facts that its a little gory at places but overall its not at all that scary.
Teen, 14 years old Written byyodiggidy July 8, 2014

The movie made no sense but it was OK

Language is not an issue, alot of violence.
Teen, 15 years old Written bytheDistantFantastik December 18, 2013

an interesting pick

As a horror movie based on the premise of allowing any sort of crime for a single night each year, it really overdoes it's meaning. it send s mixed messages about the influence of hate and anger on a society, and the struggle of one family as the y fight to avoid becoming the monsters they face. there is graphic blood and gore and a fair bit of language. don't get me wrong, i loved this movie, but, definitely not for the faint of heart. 15+ at least.
Teen, 16 years old Written bywillman72 November 28, 2013

intense

this movie has a few mature scenes in it and violence is pretty intense i recommend 14 and up scary scenes a teenager wanting sex and the movie is about everyone killing each other