All parent member reviews for The Rescuers

Parent of a 10 year old Written byMrs. Padilla April 9, 2011

We really liked this movie, and thought it was very fun. One concern was the way moon-shine was used as a joke a few times. Some of the scenes would be to scary for younger children I feel.
Parent of a 3 and 3 year old Written bypiper0137 May 7, 2010

Not for your preschooler; definitely ages 6+

This is a really cute movie my husband and I remember being one of our favorites when we were small. However, the Common Sense review mentioned above forgets to mention one important part of this flick -- guns, guns, guns. As the mom of two three year-olds, I know most preschoolers aren't ready for this kind of intense action adventure with LOTS of shooting. I'm probably more conservative than most parents, but I think the use of guns (shooting at the mice, the villains shooting at each other, etc) is worth noting.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byeswanson April 9, 2008

Not bad

I was a bit reluctant to let my 5 yo son see this movie but relented when he got it as a gift. Overall, it's not bad. Neither the animation nor the storyline come even close to current Disney fare but it's less violent than the Lion King and much less heartwrenching than Bambi. It does, however, reinforce my belief that Walt Disney had an issue with his mother! "Penny" is an orphan (bringing up concepts that needed explanation - orphans, orphanages, adoption) and "Medusa" is psycho. Another thing that gave me pause but went completely over my son's head is the sexist portrayal of Bianca. Some families could object to the moonshine drinking but I just told my son that mouse was drinking something really spicy. So, I wouldn't rush out and buy it but it's fine to watch if mom and dad are in the mood for something different.
Adult Written bymets86 June 15, 2012

great film

I first watched this film when I was 5 (about 20 years ago). I have loved this film since. There are guns in this film (although nobody is shot), and in 2 frames there is a topless woman in the background (it runs too fast to see).
Adult Written byMadameChung March 9, 2012

Make a simliar plotline but with Penny having parents

DISNEY NEVER HAD a problem with his mother. That just a stupid Urban Legend. I would like you to see an alerative where the same thing happened expect Penny had parents. Movie was great.
Adult Written byMsCyn December 29, 2011

It's fine for all kids!

Honestly, this movie is fine for almost any age. Yes, there are parts that may scare and the movie has a somewhat dark edge to it, but that's why it's interesting! And the references to booze go way over young kids' heads anyway. I watched this as a young child, along with many other movies like it, and I turned out just fine. The movie has a positive message with memorable characters. Parents are way too constricting these days.
Adult Written bynicolebear February 19, 2011

I think this film should be rated PG-13 by the Motion Picture Associates of America because of the scariness. There has been a scene where Madame Medusa has used a gun to make two mice get out. There is a scene that should not be shown in the flm itself. It is worse than the Snow White film.
Adult Written byROBWIZZGY January 12, 2011

Naked lady scene - NOT FOR THE KIDS

not such a perfect film ,with its "naked lady in window scene", placed in for a split second (in the original). They were smart enought to recall it ,but did not tell parents why ! Another reason is guns are used widely...
Adult Written byirfan akki August 25, 2010

i like it.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bykozymomo February 13, 2010

If you are anti-guns in movies, this is not for your child. Otherwise, 9+

I rated this nine and up because of the violence factor! The lead adult female is evil and locks up a little girl. Very similar to Cinderella, but worse and abusive!!!! She is terrible to her and it is very scary/sad. Furthermore, the "battle with the alligators" mentioned above is a SHOOT OUT with guns. Again, the lead female is in charge of the violence here. This was one of my favorite movies in third grade, but I'm not sure now that I want my daughter watching this anytime soon! She will be 3 next month.
Educator and Parent of a 4 year old Written byamyrb June 12, 2009

Some scary scenes for a 4 year old. My daughter loved it although she did have lots of questions about Penny and why she didn't have parents and wanting to know why Medusa was so mean.
Adult Written byEricdeEspania April 9, 2008

Fun, clever and above all, very touching...

Back in the 1960's, Walt Disney's crew started to drift from soft and touching Disney animated films into a new genre of comedy that wasn't fully convincing. Sure, The Sword in the Stone, The Aristocats and Robin Hood all have their little touching moments, but they generally had a more comic atmosphere and none of them were very endearing. After Walt Disney's death, it was uncertain if his previous lever of master film-making could be imitated. The Aristocats (1970) and Robin Hood (1973) were successful enough, but neither could guarrantee hope for Disney's future. So, when I saw their following film, The Rescuers (1977) and after watching its trailer, I resigned myself to believe that this would be one more in the line of Disney's comedies; boy was I wrong. Wrong and pleasantly surprised, because it only took me the first thirty seconds of the film to know that this wasn't business as usual, we were in for a real treat. At this point, I wasn't expecting a Disney film to open so powerfully as The Rescuers had. The story begins with a little girl tossing a bottle containing a message into the water. The bottle slowly makes its way into the ocean, and for a little while, we forget about the girl and about who she could be because then, it's all about the bottle. This kind of creativity can only come from a classic Disney film, we hear the bottle, a simple little lifeless bottle, singing, with the beautiful voice of Shelby Flint, "Who will rescue me...? I'm lost at sea without a friend..." I actually found myself feeling sorry for the poor bottle, being tossed and thrown around by raging ocean waves, this kind of opening could never be duplicated. We then learn that the little girl is named Penny and she has been kidnapped. Her bottle arrives at the Rescue Aid Society, a mouse organization whose purpose is to help those in need. Miss Bianca, a representative of Hungary volunteers for the mission, Mr. Chairman, fearful for Miss Bianca's safety asks her to accept the company of a male companion, Miss Bianca choses janitor Bernard. The two take off in search of Penny, their only clue is that the bottle had been addressed to a place called Morningside Orphanage. After an eventful trip through a New York zoo, Bernard and Miss Bianca arrive at the orphanage, but they don't find Penny. Instead, an old cat named Rufus sets them in the right direction with the clue that a strange woman had offered to give Penny a ride in her car. After this, the two little mice set off for Madame Medusa's Pawn Shop, where they overhear her phone conversation with some Mr. Snoops. Bernard and Miss Bianca then learn that Penny has been taken to a place called Devil's Bayou and she's being kept there. The rescuers take off to Devil's Bayou and gather all their intelligence, strength and the help of a group of swamp critters to rescue the girl and safely return her to her home. Still, before the rescuers can return Penny home they'll have to face the raging waters of a scary underground pirate's cave, where Penny is expected to retrieve the Devil's Eye, the largest diamond in existance. As I stated at the beginning, The Rescuers is not a comedy film, it's much more dramatic than modern films or other Disney classics of the '60s and '70s, in the style of classic tearjerkers in the likes of Bambi (1942) and Dumbo (1941). The film's theme is that of faith, and the most touching scenes involve those in which characters, no just Penny, find themselves struggling to keep their faith or dealing with their lose of it. The musical score is quiet, touching and sweet and the songs are top-notch. "The Journey" is a chillingly-powerful song that opens the film, "Someone's Waiting for You", nomitated for an Academy Award® in 1978 is very emotional and "Tomorrow is Another Day" is a joyful break from the film's dramatic flow. Other fun songs include "Rescue Aid Society", "For Penny's a Jolly Good Fellow" and the little poem, "Faith is a Bluebird." The film was released on DVD in 2003, although rather poorly, but still, every time I watch The Rescuers, there's a feeling of emotional nostalgia I simply can't avoid. No child should grow up without the change of experiencing The Rescuers, it may make them appreciate their home and their families more to see the heartwarming story of Penny. In conclusion, this is yet another charming masterpiece worthy of the Disney name, such a shame this kind of movie is not made nowadays.