Parent reviews for The Right Stuff

Exciting '80s astronaut movie has cursing, sex.

Parent of a 10 and 11 year old Written bydrawnat November 28, 2010

Good movie, but mixed bag and iffy for kids under 12

This movie is great, but is also a mixed bag when it comes to role models, language and sex. I have a ten year old and felt some of the language was a bit more than I expected. *Spoiler* Also, one thing that caught me by surprise was the masturbation scene (off screen) as a sperm sample is requested as a part of the astronaut screening process. This required a whole discussion for one of my sons, which we had not expected. (In the end, a good thing, but would have been good to know it was coming.)

Parent of a 6, 10, and 10 year old Written byRedthreadmom October 14, 2009

Should really be PG-13 for cursing. Maybe even R.

I agree with thepedens--language is far worse than "mild" as the Common Sense Review termed it. I watched this movie with my two 10-year-olds, chose it after reading the review and then sat praying they would not get some of the language. The language is NOT OK for 10, or even 11. This should be at least PG-13. There was also a scene where Gordy had to give a sperm donation. While they didn't show anything, I fast-forwarded, as I really, really didn't feel like explaining what THAT meant.

Adult Written byThew April 9, 2008

Long telling of compelling subject

Breaking the sound barrier and the Mercury Seven astronauts are a very interesting story, but this is a long and sometimes inscrutable movie. The language is harsh for a PG movie (F-words are sprinkled throughout) and there is a Sally Rand dancing scene that makes no sense and introduces quick shots of a bare behind and breasts. Not lewd, but out of step with the rest of the movie.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byjcpilot February 12, 2010

Good for teens

I think the language just kills a great historical movie for kids. The "f" word comes up 2-3 times. Not appropriate nor needed in my opinion.

Parent Written byg-g-g August 10, 2013

A great story appropriate for teens--but can they relate?

I was near voting age when this film came out. I went to see it three times and it is still one of my all-time favorites. Would I show it to my 11-year-olds? No. Some of it is too risqué for that age group--the famous sperm scene, but also the Texas barbecue dancer and the "extra-curricular" activities of some astronauts come to mind. Also, the needle test in the New Mexico clinic is too intense for most kids and quite a few adults. As for the language--well, nothing that a tween hasn't heard already, but it's an individual call. The rest, though, is a great American story well told with the help of excellent acting and Bill Conti's score for the ages. I'd say no problem for ages 13 and up. The question is, will kids care? In our age of global warming and the inexorable rise of China, the Cold War rivalry behind the space program and the can-do attitude of 1950s America really seem to belong to another era. We who remember the Berlin Wall can relate. Our kids, who only know that stuff from history books, may not. Also, at three hours, the movie is very long if well paced. It may be hard keeping the texting generation (except for born candidates to be the next John Glenn or Sally Ride) interested in the story for that long. Still, remember--our Germans are better than their Germans!
Adult Written byInfntJest February 20, 2012

Great movie, language is in context

While there are four-letter words sprinkled throughout, I think it's worth noting that they're not used in a sexual context or even in anger, and not even for humor or shock value - just in the everyday slang of the pilots. It's about the most harmless use of these words I can imagine. The "sperm sample" scene, too, is handled deftly and in a scientific setting - basically, if your kids are too young to know what's going on, it'll blow right by them. There aren't many kids I'd hesitate about showing this to.

Parent Written bythepedens April 9, 2008

Terrific movie, but...

There's an awful lot of language in this movie that I was hoping to watch with my entire family. There were lots of f bombs, plenty of s---, bast----, hell and godd---.
Adult Written byZack B. September 17, 2017

Great movie, but the language and content would be "R" today...

Great historical movie, but some sexual content, and at least four F-bombs. Not expected in a PG movie.