Adult Written bygavin m. jackson April 9, 2008

Couldn't Live Up

This is a film that couldn't live up to the scary first act of the film. It drones on, and on, asking more questions that it doesn't attempt to answer, and ends with an extremely silly scene.
Parent Written bylolboy55 December 9, 2012

for teens

i watched it when i was 5 years old and it was not that scary probably the scariest part is when she comes out the tv
Adult Written bywonder dove June 26, 2012

Creepy!!!

For hardcore horror fans, this movie isn't too scary but the concept of the movie is very creepy. For people who are not horror buffs, this film will probably scare you to the moon! I love the horror genre, and I found this one pretty good but it's more on the quiet side. With Rachel (main character) trying to figure out the mystery behind the tape, there's no real scary action until towards the end and bits and pieces throughout (like a shocking suicide incident, or a mad horse going crazy and killing itself by falling into a river where blood is seen...to name two). I think it's a perfect film for mature teens because the story is straightforward, without any major violence. A drug is mentioned once (marijuana) and there's basically no sexual stuff (except for a reference to spending the night with a guy). It's much scarier watching alone in the dark if you're looking to scare yourself straight...but definitely worth watching!
Parent of a 11 year old Written bykellebag January 3, 2010

Scary movie, judge by YOUR kid's standards.

If your child is easily scared, no matter what age, this is not for them.
Adult Written byMostlysane April 6, 2013

My favorite horror movie.

This is my FAVORITE horror movie!! It only has 2 (maybe 3-4) really jumpy-scary parts. Everything else is just creepy and very suspenseful. There's an element of mystery to it which I enjoyed. I don't recall any swearing although there may have been. The only "sexual" scene is when Rachel (the mother) is putting her clothes on however she never has less than underwear on. LOVED IT!!
Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written byAlexburk November 8, 2015

Warning...the is the last horror movie I ever watched

In watched the ring as a young adult. I was huge horror movie fan and I saw it the week it hit theaters. I remember the film being well made and entertaining. Here's the problem: this movie stuck with me for years. Even mentioning it made me creeped out and scared. Fast forward 13 years and I still won't even consider watching horror movies. There is no category in the "parents need to know" section for this. Too creepy, gets under your skin and stays there, may cause long term fear and mild trauma.
Adult Written bygreen_goblin May 8, 2009

A film for OLDER TEENS! Not for kids.

Intense film, although not scary. It's very disturbing and atmosphere is out-of-this-world.
Adult Written bylol May 24, 2015

Not for kids

I believe the age restriction should indeed be higher than 13. Of course, it will not have any long-term effect upon your kids' sanity, but the whole theme idea is simply not appropriate for kids. I've seen this first when I was 13, and then wished I haven't. And if your kid doesn't see this as disturbing, that's even more of a problem. Not too much violence, yet traumatising scenes. Any horror genre should not be exposed to kids.
Parent Written byHanna Hilton May 6, 2016

Amazing movie!✅✅✅

This movie is excellent, it's not good for childrens that get really scared!, it's very scary., but it's to fun
Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 14 year old Written byJamesRobertson January 4, 2009
Adult Written bylemonlover July 19, 2012

It's okay.

The mvoie has a scary plot that will frighten young kids, but the PG-13 is accurate. It also has some swearing like "p***k" and b***h." But most kids at least 12 or 13 could handle it.
Adult Written bybobward April 24, 2016
Not much in the way of graphic violence or sex but it is very, very scary indeed, and of the sleepless night variety at that. One of the very few movies that kept me up at night as a teen.
Adult Written bykhan2705 October 30, 2010

creepy ....... disturbing horror thriller.

A good horror film with a cool concept. Gore Verbinski's style is unmistakable. He has left this work well marked with his stylistic shots, and suspenseful progression. Very creepy and a bit strange but it has a good mix of everything. psychological horror always must be sure to not be too slow-paced, because then it becomes boring. The Ring is a perfect example of what I consider a good psych-horror movie to be, because it unfolds like a mystery and keeps the viewer cerebrally involved...as it scares the crap out of them.The thrust of "the Ring" isn't only to entertain and to make shiver. It is also doubled by a reflexion on the power of the image. One of the images of the film depicts a woman in front of a mirror looking at the camera. So, she's also looking at the viewer. This is unhealthy voyeurism that the movie denounces like the insensible media which expose to the mainstream, woes and sorrows of the victims and so manipulate the viewers' fears. The sequence during which Ann Morgan's husband is incensed by Rachel's will to learn more about Samara rings thoroughly true. Moreover, these seemingly maladjusted images embody symbols: the chair and the lighthouse illustrate loneliness, the figure at the window (a hint at "Psycho"?, 1960) might symbolize parental severity. The creepiest, clammiest, twitchiest squealfest in months. Successfully envelops us in a disturbing experience. disturbing, unsettling and downright creepy.
Adult Written byFilmManiac May 9, 2012

Great horror movie that is actually quite scary NOT because of violence.

Adult Written bycritic sense November 4, 2012

Recommended Rating: 14+ for moderate violence, intense/frightening scenes and language

This Japanese horror film is mostly mild on the violence (the most violent parts are when a man electrocutes himself in a bathtub and when water turns blood red after a horse jumps off a boat), however it has some scary scenes that may be too frightening for younger viewers. The atmosphere is dark, intense and unsettling throughout. There are some eerie thematic elements and the end is shocking. The language throughout the film is mostly mild, and only occasionally spoken. Some characters smoke cigarettes.
Adult Written byMartin_Canine June 19, 2016

Plenty of psychologically dark imagery, some violence, in superb supernatural thriller

"The Ring" is as great as its premise sounds like, but adds much more depth. Most of the movie focuses around the main character's research of the origin of an ominous video tape that is said to kill everyone who watches it one week later. As she watched the tape herself, her time is limited. Whilst it contains several suspenseful moments, it turns out to have a much more sentimental and heartbreaking background, making this more than just a cheap thrill ride. It is basef around the japanese 90s movie "Ringu", but despite the short period of time that passed between the two versions, this isn't simply a copy of the original, it adds much more to the plot, expanding the back story. As good as it is, it is not a children's movie. The video tape itself consists of several darkly surreal images (including, but not limited to, a beach full of dead horses, a needle piercing a finger, a woman jumping off a cliff, etc.), but they are very brief and out of context. Overall, this is not the violent kins of horror, it is more psychologically dark. As the events surrounding the tape get unveiled, we get to know about a very tragic death and see it in a flashback. It is nothing gory but emotionally upsetting. One minor character kills themself by going into a bathtub with a video recorder (on-screen), another one is killed off-screen in the opening scene but her body is later found with a horribly disfigured face (nothing gory). A horse jumps off a boat and is sucked under it (blood is seen in the water). This is not a movie that dwells on gore and injury, none of the violence is graphic. It however can be vers unsettling at times, as well as emotionally upsetting and tragic. However, teens should be fine with this film.
Parent Written byS0CKM0NKEY September 30, 2011

Great MOVIE!(:

This movie was really good! It started it of with a good plot of teens pass down a tape will kill you in seven days. The girl(Samara) will come out of tv and leave you dead. It was a good idea. I just watched Ring Two and that was a good movie too. If you like this movie i suggest you should watch the 2nd one.
Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byunicornb July 23, 2016

Terrifying Film Plays With The Mind

The Ring is by far one of the scariest movies I've ever scene. The film uses psychological scares rather than jump scares. There is no sexually explicit content, but the gore factor is high. Without spoiling to much, there's decomposing bodies, deformed faces, and gagging sounds in some of the main film scenes. Overall, the terrifying finish leaves you hanging and is a must see for horror fans.
Adult Written by22LowBrass December 4, 2010

For any kids 8 and older as long as the parents are around

Anyone over the age 10 can see this film by them self. There is nothing scary about this film. This is defiantly not scary at all. Its a starter horror film. If your kid can not handle this film then dont move on to other types of horror films. Note that this is a J-Horror film so the worst part is after the film when people think that samara is right behind them.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byjkks76 October 23, 2010