All parent member reviews for The Sandlot

Adult Written byJediQueen April 9, 2008

Good but very strong for a PG.

CMS got it wrong this movie uses the S word 3 times and its only rated 8+. I think its more questionable the the sequel gut its still a classic. Not for young kids though.
Parent Written bymaidmarian4 August 15, 2010

The story line, geared towards elementary aged children, is nostalgic and fresh. You'll love the cute story line. However, the "fluff" in between is horrible in some spots. I hate the sexualization of the life guard. Women should be respected, not "oogled" like objects. Also, there is a part where the young boys are chewing tobacco. While the choice is shown as a bad one in the movie, I still don't want my own kids to think about doing the same thing because of a movie. I also don't let my kids use language beyond an occasional "shut up," so most of the language is not appropriate for my own children.
Adult Written byjumpinbini April 9, 2008

This is one of the BEST kids movies ever made. I absolutely love this movie. It's about being a kid and the things that they go through in grade school. Being the new kid on the block. making new friends, defending your friends, experiencing new things together, and then reminiscing about your childhood friends when you grow up. Even if you're not a baseball fan it's still something that kids can relate to and will be entertained by. If you haven't seen it, what have you been waiting for?!
Parent of a 10 and 16 year old Written bySylvie66 December 8, 2010

Okay for older teens with more discernment

It wasn't the sexualization of the lifeguard that bothered us - it was the sexualization of the 10 - 13yo boys.... Watch that scene, reverse the genders. Still okay? I didn't think so either. The rest of the movie would have been a good choice for a one-time family movie.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byjoannab July 11, 2010

Some kids are great role models, some not so much.
Adult Written byculgray April 9, 2008

Foul Language

I picked this movie for my two boys and was surprised at the language used. I personally do not think the "S word" is appropriate for a PG movie or for 8 year olds. I'm not sure I trust the reviews of Common Sense Media.
Adult Written bychicubsown2 May 2, 2011

Great Family Film!

I have been watching this movie for years and I will never stop but the only negative comment I would say about it is the scene where they are at the carnival and they are all have chewing tobacco in their mouth
Adult Written byteacher13 May 28, 2009

Classic Movie

I have showed this movie for 20 minutes each day to my middle school students in homeroom. Many have the students have not seen the movie before and they really come in each day excited to watch! They can relate to the characters and are mature enough to not get too giddy at the boy/girl stuff. I was very disappointed at the slight profanity in the movie- (sh** and cr**) because it is rated PG!! Sandlot could be just as much of a classic WITHOUT the language!
Parent of a 7 and 7 year old Written byEKEM2727 October 25, 2010

Good messages, but need to prepare them for inappropriate language.

I wasn't happy to hear the swearing, "reject" and a few other words in it.
Parent of a 5, 7, 9, and 11 year old Written bymichael64 June 9, 2012

Too much bad language

The language is really over the top unfortunately...it is more than just a few instances - and totally unnecessary I might add. Shame.
Adult Written bybasbel October 7, 2011

sweet movie

good movie full of fun and people if you like sports you will like this
Parent Written byPlague June 9, 2010

The Sandlot

This is an absolute perfect movie for your sports-loving tween to watch.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Not all it is cracked up to be

Technically speaking, this could be a good movie, however, something about it causes some children to become VERY violent and angry after seeing it. This of course is only my personal view, however, I do encourage parents of "anger problem" children to be cautious about letting that child watch this movie. From the first time my child watched it, at age 8, he became very violent, and angry after it was finished. I would remove the movie from our cabinet for awhile, then bring it back out after a year or so, just to see how he would react. He is now 13, and the reaction is still the same. I personally don't see what it is about the movie that causes his anger, but I have finally concluded that it is not one I want in my household any longer.
Parent Written byaimless1 December 29, 2012

BEST FAMILY MOVIE EVER!

Hands down one of the best family movies ever made! It is just great! I have given it as a gift to many families who enjoy movies and have never seen it. They all love it as well.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byMZSWEETY02 December 27, 2009

Adult Written byjillianlovescats April 9, 2008

The Sandlot rocks!

A great movie about baseball! You will love it! I did!
Parent of a 5, 6, and 8 year old Written byHikinDaddy April 9, 2008

A great movie for the family!

Everyone in the family will like this one. The plot is good, how an "outsider" becomes part of a group of friends and everyone gets along as one, both the popular and unpopular.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byHigg275 May 16, 2014

Good movie for kids

I watched this with my seven year old son--a sensitive viewer. He really enjoyed it. I noticed that he was quite tense during some junkyard scenes, but if I touched his back or smiled at him, he would breathe and relax. There was just enough humor and silliness to offset his tension and he enjoyed himself. There were three moments that made me uncomfortable watching with my son. 1) the way that the boys oogled the lifeguard. The objectification was so unnecessary, and completely unrelated to the main story. I wish it had been eliminated entirely. But, in the end, it was a minor piece to the movie and its impact on my son seemed to be overshadowed by the rest of the action. 2) one boy yells "S--t!" when he is running from the junkyard dog. I also wish this were not part of the movie, but at least it was an appropriate use of the word! lol. It passed and I was okay with it. 3) There is an exchange of crude name-calling between two baseball teams and some trash-talking during a subsequent game. It is definitely an example of poor-sportsmanship, and certainly generates bad name-calling ideas for kids. But, some of it was indeed funny and so we were able to laugh through it, taking the edge off of any hurtful feelings it might otherwise have generated. Despite these three things, the fun characters, good humor, and adventure made it a really enjoyable movie for my son and I. I plan to show it at my older son's 10th birthday party.
Parent of a 5 and 6 year old Written byCP Padre May 14, 2014