All parent member reviews for The Search for Santa Paws

Parent of a 3, 5, and 9 year old Written byenocat December 2, 2010

NOT a happy holiday movie.

Grandma bought this for my kids to get them in the holiday spirit - it was horrible. All three of my kids 3,5 and 8 were in tears at more than one point in the movie. Its just sad thing after sad thing - there is nothing happy until the very end. We won't watch it again. Don't waste your money.
Adult Written bycoffeecup12 December 6, 2010

True horror for a real dog!

I work for an animal hospital and saw first hand a real life tragedy for a small dog. A 3 1/2 year old child put her dog in a heated oven after watching this movie several times...at least that's the grandmother's story. The oven had just been turned on to preheat, and the mother realized within a minute's time what had happened. The dog suffered great burns, and may or may not survive. What if the child had burned herself while acting out this part of the movie? What if the mother had discovered the horror 5 minutes later? As for common sense, don't let young children watch tv and movies without previewing or watching with them. Just because it looks cute doesn't mean that it's appropriate. Adults who make movies like this must not remember being kids themselves.
Parent Written byembeau November 26, 2010

Not a family movie, just scary and inappropriate

The horrible woman who watches over the kids in the orphanage incinerates their toys as she does not allow toys in the home. (Going so far as to take a three year old child's toy given to her by her dead mother.) Children are forced to sleep in basement when they misbehave. This is not a childrens' movie and was frightening to our daughter . Not a family movie!
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byLen Snark December 30, 2012

You guys weren't kidding were you?

I wish I'd read the parent reviews on here instead of just glancing at the main screen rating because this one left my daughter emotionally wrecked. Terrible business with the orphanage and incinerator.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byLHANDC May 4, 2011

HORRIBLE

Horrible movie, possibly the worst kids movie ever made. What trash! I demanded Disney give me a refund.
Adult Written bykeerstn April 9, 2011

NOT a cute buddies movie

If your kids love the Buddies movies (Air Buddies, Snow Buddies, etc.), DON'T get this one! The dogs are an afterthought in this very poor Annie remake. I'm so sorry we got this! My kids were looking forward to the dogs and laughter, and we got neither. We didn't even SEE a dog for the first third of the movie, and there are NO buddies anywhere. Worst of all, the 'caregiver' is the nastiest of bad guys - steals a doll and tosses it into the incinerator, where you actually watch it burn. AARGH! Scared my 7-year-old terribly.
Adult Written byljrhaz December 14, 2010

I rented this movie without knowing there was adoption/foster care content as one of the themes. As an adoptive parent, I am concerned that my 6 yr old daughter will not understand that how these concepts were portrayed is not real. I'm particularly concerned with how Miss Stout was portrayed as a mean foster parent who punishes children by taking away beloved possessions and incinerating them and by locking children in the basement overnight. I plan to talk with my daughter to clarify things tomorrow. The other themes about Santa, the elves and the dogs was somewhat cute. Overall, I have some concerns about this movie.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byCSM Screen Name... December 10, 2010

Very Bad Holiday Movie

After trying to watch this movie twice,I must say, it is not a very good movie. My granddaughters were terrorized by it. The furnace scene certainly should not have been in the movie. Even Santa was not attractive. Why make such an awful "Christmas" movie. I had to turn the movie off as soon as that furance scene came up. The children started to cry. I wish that Disney would read some of the negative reviews this film is receiving. Too bad DVD's can't be returned to the store. I think I might send it to Mr. Robert Vince, Walt Disney stodios Home Entertainment Director.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bySanterrifying December 7, 2010

AVOID FOR CHILDREN UNDER 7

Please don't let Joly Herman review any more films for this site. HOW could she not mention that SANTA IS MUGGED, HIS WALLET STOLEN AND HE NEARLY DIES IN THE HOSPITAL! Not to mention that Paws in nearly incinerated and a little girl retrieves him IN THE INCINERATOR! Do yourself a favor and go to Amazon and read all the reviews by likewise horrified parents.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bymorga November 26, 2010

Inappropriate for young children

This movie is not appropriate for young children. My seven year old daughter went to bed in tears and we didn't even finish watching the novie. There are too many sad moments. Santa Clause gets run over by a taxi cab and his possessions stolen while he lies in the street. A mean sadistic woman runs a foster home. She throws children in the basement when they misbehave and burns their toys in the incinerator. Santa Clause gets very ill and nearly dies at the end of the movie. Santa Paws is a stuffed dog brought to life by a magic crystal. His crystal is stolen by the foster mom and she throws him into the incinerator. I do not recommend this movie for young children.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byAVVD24 November 25, 2010

Extremely disappointing!!!

I bought my son the Santa paws this season because he loved the first one that was put out last year. However, when we were watching the movie I found it send some really bad messages to my son. To start off the foster mother places kids in basements as a form of punishment! Another issue I had with the movie was how they showed a scene of a little girl climbing to an active incinerator to save the stuffed puppy. My son starting crying and screaming when he saw this scene, I have never seen him act this way in my life! I had to explain to him obviously that it was bad to climb into something like that even if it is after an animal. I didn't like the message they sent in the movie especially in this one specific scene. I will be tkaing the movie away from him and we just bought it yesterday. I'm extremely disappointed!
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byCosmodj January 11, 2013

Some scary parts!!

My 5-year old cried her head off when (SPOILER ALERT!) Santa Paws lost his magic and turned into a stuffed animal, and then was put into the incinerator (he got out). She was horrified that he could "freeze" into an inanimate object.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written bySraesc December 16, 2012

Terrible movie -- way too sad for kids, way too sad for a holiday movie!

I have nothing good to say about this movie. What a horribly sad and depressing holiday movie for kids! I was so disappointed. My kids were in tears over the behavior of the foster mother. Just horrible. As far as the one reviewer who suggested that this was a good opportunity to discuss issues with your kids, my response is that I don't look to holiday movies for opportunities to discuss difficult issues. I wish I would have come here first (I usually do) before watching this with my kids. We have seen all of the buddies movies, so I assumed this one would be fine. I could not have been more wrong.
Parent of a 8, 12, and 16 year old Written byhgheck December 30, 2010

Santa get hit by car, looses memory, later passes out, almost dies. Foster kids talk about their parents being dead, woman who runs foster house if extremely mean. When Santa Paws is in stuffed animal form the foster woman throws him in the incinerator. Foster woman takes away kids toys and burns them.
Parent of a 10, 10, and 10 year old Written bypanthergirl December 25, 2010

After reading the comments on this website I was concerned about letting my daughter, who is a dog lover, watch this. My husband and I watched it before we allowed her to watch. I have to say I disagree with many of the comments that are found on this site. Yes, there are some issues in this movie that need to be addressed with your child as you are watching it. However, I feel confident that the positive message of the Christmas season is one that my daughter recognized. I am sad that many of the reviewers did not see the power of love in many aspects of the movie. From the point Paws was created to the very end when the Huckelbuckles decide that making money is not the only thing that makes you a valuable person. While we are not her birth parents, she knows that not all foster homes are like this (she also knows some are). I suggest you watch this with your children and take the opportunities to talk to them about the issues that are brought up in the movie and make sure that you help them to see the message of this movie and the Christmas season.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byScottB4713 December 4, 2010

This is a Terrible, Inappropriate Movie for Kids !

This movie is completely inappropriate for children aged 10 and younger. The film's director made the Orphanage Manager Lady WAAAY too mean and the little girl orphans are clinically abused in the movie (and this is supposed to be a happy CHRISTMAS movie??? My favorite part is when she puts the dog in the INCINERATOR. Seriously folks, steer well clear of this terrible movie. It's a punishment for kids to watch.
Parent of a 2, 7, and 9 year old Written bypbsmcmom November 24, 2010

Perfect for older kids, but not for tweens

My 7 and 9 year old were horrified by this movie. My 9 year old is much like his mother (very sensitive to heart wrenching topics) and this movie went over board with as much as bad as it could throw your way. The happy didn't come until the last 20 minutes. Just when you thought it couldn't get more devastating for my children, it would. I could never recommend this as a great family movie. I too found it too emotional and the acting very poor.