Parent reviews for The Secret Life of Pets 2

Sequel reduces dark comedy, ups laughs, keeps rude humor.

Adult Written byDeltastateMs June 8, 2019

Wasn't Impressed

Warning: bit of a spolier post for Secret Life of Pets 2. It was not what I thought at all.

My little one (age 4) has loved Secret Life of Pets the original, and has been begging to see the 2nd one. We went this morning to an early morning showing and he was beyond excited. However, that excitement quickly faded for both of us. The first movie toed the line on a few things for us (language and how we treat others mainly), but he easily understood that those were bad and not acceptable to us so we chalked it up to learning moments. The second movie crossed the line on so many things.
Like the first movie, some behavior toed the line, but what crossed it was the villian's behavior. At one point he pulls out a tazer to use on the tiger (sent several kids in the theatre screaming), then he pulls out a gun and points it at the group of animals (major uproar over that). Big no-no for us.
Some of the language used was hard to hear in a kid's movie. Calling others stupid, dumb, etc. The worst, and to me just not ok, was the scene where an animal is described as being "pissed". There's a good 2-3 second silence after the word is said, so it's like it resonates and sticks with you. Several parents/kids left after that scene, and I was almost one of them.

Adult Written byKJsMomma June 8, 2019

Too much for little ones

My daughter ended up being terrified by the circus guy that was physically abusing an adorable tiger. She ended up crying and we had to leave the movie early. She’s five and loves animals. She is not a super sensitive kid and knows movies aren’t real. This one scene was just too much for her age. Be aware if you think your little one will be affected by animal abuse.

Adult Written byDelanab1984 June 14, 2019

Not for younger kids

Me and my husband along with our kids went to watch this movie. Unfortunately there was pretty inappropriate language like idiot, stupid, dumb, retard, EVEN PISSED WAS IN IT! This is not a movie for younger sensitive kids who can get scared or cry easily because there was a gun scene, along with animal abuse, where the circus owner slaps the tiger with a rope and puts a taser to him, along with the gun seen where the guy pulls out a gun towards the animals, man getting ran over, etc, it like gets worse and worse... especially the inappropriate music they put in the movie... to dogs wanting to be in a relationship... no just no

Adult Written bynac314 June 15, 2019

Not for little ones or sensitive kids

Brought my 3+ year old for her first movie. We left after about half an hour. There’s bad language, and the scene with the villain whipping the baby tiger was the last straw for us. I wish my poor baby could unsee it, and I deeply regret exposing her to this sad violence so early.

Parent of a 13 and 17-year-old Written byb080170e May 25, 2019

Cute and worth going

Really this movie is very cute and clean. I only caught one use of the word "pissed" (which I felt was totally unnecessary) but that was the extent of the language that I caught. The plot is simple enough for most viewers, even the youngest children, to follow. The only thing that I thought might be worth mentioning was the implication that the Circus as a general company is evil and might harm animals. The main antagonist is a member of the circus is mean toward one animal in particular that the other animals are trying to save. So, if you are sensitive to subjects around the circus, just be aware of that. There were plenty of younger kids in the audience and none seemed scared that I could tell. Otherwise, we went as a family of 4 (older kids) and all of us enjoyed it. Many parts made me laugh out loud. I think it's worth the price of admission.
Parent of a 11 and 13-year-old Written byDylan1226 June 12, 2019

Cute movie, not as good as the original...

Cute movie, not as good as the original. Very funny, very light... The voice actors do an outstanding job, particularly Harrison Ford, Kevin Hart... My kids (13 and 11) went nuts for it. Also good themes about loyalty of family and friends.

Parent of a 9, 12, and 15-year-old Written byBOBRANCHERED June 8, 2019

WHY?!

My kids really got “pissed” at this movie, it was really over the top. It wasn’t even funny! A dog fantasizing about being with another dog, where does it end with you people?! There was way to much “sexy stuff” and “violence.”

Adult Written byMrsLP June 15, 2019

Too Violent for the U rating

Took 4 year old who was upset by some of the scenes. Why did they feel it necessary for the circus "bad guy" to pull a gun and threaten to shoot? Way too violent for the UK U rating. Daughter didn't enjoy it and was upset by the prolonged peril.

Adult Written bylpetlock June 12, 2019

Not original. Not that funny.b

Light on original ideas. First was much better.
Adult Written byDesertGirl June 11, 2019

Less intense than the first - still for older kids

I will say we’ve seen this twice in the theater since it came out four days ago. So we like it. Many parts made us laugh out loud. My daughter is 9 and my nephew is 20.

There is a time when a puppy is described as “pissed” for absolutely no reason. I wish it could be edited out in the video release.

I was SO HAPPY this wasn’t as dark and intense as the first. One thing is my daughter is older and the other is the sequel is just better. BUT it still crosses the line a few times. If my daughter were any younger, I think it still could have been a problem. Those with younger kids who don’t want to stress them out on movie night might want to wait for the digital release. But if your kids are in the older elementary age group and have absurd senses of humor then this is a winner. Harrison Ford’s character is a lot of fun, and sparked conversation in my family (oldest “child” is 20) about how much we edit fairy tales and how much a kid can actually take. No verdict - but great discussion.

The theme of friendships between the animals throughout the movie is a good one. Each friend brings something different to the table, and they deal with each other’s strengths and weaknesses while remaining loyal to each other. The portrayal of the human family is sweet and sincere. Mom and dad love each other, the baby, and the pets. I left this movie with a warm heart, unlike the first one that I left thinking “is the era of movies for children over”.

Adult Written byThorax_ June 6, 2019

Adult Written byRonnam1 June 16, 2019

Not at all what I expected

This movie is pretty bad. Although it was funny in a few parts, there were some unbelievable things in this movie such as a gun scene/animal abuse. I was hoping this one would be more appropriate than the first, but I was extremely disappointed ☹️.

Adult Written byisabel097 June 13, 2019

ENJOYED IT.

I don't remember if there was any use of a gun. If you or your child/sibling is a animal lover there are a couple scenes were The bad guy and his wolves are mean to the other animal. I took my siblings (13 and 20) I would take my 3 year old cousin. I know I'm not a parent but I treated them like my own and I would never take them to something I think is bad or offensive. I see that a lot of parents are complaining that they were annoyed that there is a scene were the cat is "Acting high". Let me clear something up. The cat was given cat-nip. Cat nip is a treat NOT A DRUG! It's normal for cats to act chill. It's not like your child is going to go home and become a cat-nip attic. The old dog says "pissed" and thats about the only bad word I can think of. Yes, this is a kids movie but shrek was also a kids movie and there was far more bad words in it and I remember seeing a whole bunch of children watch ever movie that came out..
Adult Written bykatrinajellybeana June 13, 2019

Gun scene and words like "pissed"

I was SO disappointed that the creators felt the need to use a gun. The bad guy is a circus character and he and his wolves are scary for sure. My child is older now so that didn't scare her but I left annoyed that they felt the need to show a catnip-high cat, use nasty words and guns... this is a KIDS movies. There is enough violence in the real world. How about we step away from that when creating a fun movie for kids?

Adult Written byPoopOBX June 8, 2019

Great

Well my kids love animals so I thought we should see this movie. After we did my boys were pitting party supplies for our pets around the house so when they leave our dog cat and bird can party

Adult Written bySkarfunkus September 20, 2019

Dynamic and funny! NOT inappropriate!

Over all, the sorry arc was fantastic! Multiple subplots to keep us movie lovers happy and all the cute/ funny animals to help keep the children interested.

Nothing inappropriate for anyone, really. Some parts get loud, but that’s to enhance the action scenes and the sense of peril!

Not sure what all these people on here are talking about with foul language... yes, the word, “pissed,” is used... but is it really that bad? Nope. We all hear and use worse words in real life, everyday. If you’re offended with this movie or anything like it, you should probably just stay inside your home all day and hermit yourself. These movies don’t cause anyone to do anything bad or use bad language, that’s all on the parents that are so worried about it... trying to blame anything for all of their own shortcomings... sorry, rant!

Anyway... great animation, great story, well voice acted, and over all fun for all members of your family!

Parent Written byKylieFoxes August 22, 2019

Lackluster and surprisingly inappropriate for Illumination.

The movie itself is pretty boring. There's too many plot lines happening at the same time, which just makes it feel cluttered and confusing.
Regarding the inappropriate content, I'm honestly surprised with how much Illumination pushed it with this movie. There's an actual gun (a revolver) pointed at the animals, there's a lot of name-calling and there's even one use of the word "pissed" which REALLY took me by surprise since this company has only produced very kid-friendly content since their first film, Despicable Me.

Adult Written byThatguyic June 15, 2019

Innapropriate for young eyes and ears...

Cat acted high.
A lot of violence.
Movie says "Pickles is PISSED."
And then just silence. So it just sits in the air.

We wont be purchasing this movoe.

Adult Written byclimady June 14, 2019

They turned a good movie into so so fast

Well, movie started off heartwarming and all great was excited to see a movie that was not PC in today's culture. There was a cat that gets high on cat nip, I can not see how this would be somthing you would ever put intonation soncalled childs movie One bad words which when at the theater made other mamas gas and a child had to tell his mom it was ok and he would not say it. That's the point where it went from being 4 stars to below. Tons of potty humor. Whoch seems they cant make a movie without that now daysThe movie over all has a good feeling. Its all about for a family . It's about growing and changing in good ways . It's about being there for friends and family. I loved all that. They did take the chance to change the bunny into a girls outfit however it was not left on the whole movie . There is some.fsrker elements in the movie as well as to there is a circus trainer that is creepy and dogs as well. May scare littles . Over now that I know the word is there I can pass it up when my next child sees it. My review below is based on the fact that its geared towards kids but the movie has more adult type humor than in would say childs

Adult Written byHihihihidash July 17, 2021

One use of the P word

This movie was great but there was a ton of violence and scariness. The worst park is when Pops said ‘Pickles is p*ssed’. But other than that this is a great movie! Quite shocking use of the P word in a kids movie but this is suitable for children 9 and up (there are some great messages about friendship though).