All parent member reviews for The Secret of Moonacre

Educator and Parent Written byncst January 7, 2014

Great modern fairy tale twist

We found this jewel on Netflix and gave it a try with our two sensitive girls after previewing it first. It did have a few scary scenes for our daughters, but they loved the story of the little girl who saves the valley. They were most disturbed during the chase scene near the end when the girl is running for her life trying to find Moon pearls to save the valley and also when Wolf the dog gets shot (he doesn't really die.) This movie scared them less than the Princess Bride which caused them both tears.
Adult Written byBeckstar October 29, 2011

Quite Scary, I wouldn't recommend it to children

Although this is geared towards children, it is quite scary in a lot of the film with the dog and the enemies..etc. I'm an adult and I found it to be quite intense. There are scenes with an animal dying, a girl leaping to her death and it appears like she is drowning when she lands..quite a few scenes in this I would say need adult supervision My Mum also found it to be quite scary. If your children have read the book before the film (The Little White Horse), your children may be disappointed. I read the book when I was 13 and was disappointed in how the film turned out, especially with how few the scenes were with the 'little white horse'. The plot seemed quite different to what I remember in the book. It's also quite a strange film and Maria wears some EXTREMELY weird clothes. Such as the crinoline of a dress without the dress on top....etc.
Parent of a 7 and 12 year old Written byWife-mother-law... March 2, 2013

Disappointing

We violated our rule about needing to read the book first and maybe that's why my 12 yr old and I were a little disappointed? Though other reviewers who read the book seemed disappointed too. It just wasn't all that good. It was too intense for 7 yr old and not interesting enough for the 12 year old. The acting was wooden and the oddness of even the world external to Moonacre Valley didn't make any sense. The main character's costumes were so unusual but there didn't seem to be any reason why. The first few times she showed up with the architecture for a bustle in the rear of her gown, but with no fabric over it, we thought she had forgotten to finish dressing!
Parent of a 12 year old Written byMontysMom November 27, 2010

Perfect for the whole family!

Parent Written byralucaploog October 9, 2015

Great message

My 9, 7 & 6 year olds all watched this movie, and really enjoyed it. It's not scary at all, so not sure where some of these reviews are coming from. The movie promotes kindness and forgiveness, and shows how pride creates bitterness between people. If you are skeptical, go the old fashion route and watch it without the kids first.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byKennedy Family August 27, 2011