Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for The Smurfs

Not enough bright spots in disappointing adaptation.

Adult Written byNickelodeonFan2007 January 3, 2019

One of the worst Films ever made

Annoying, Too Many Bad Scenes, and Really Stupid Plots, I Do not recommend it for kids and parents.

Adult Written byPittsburghmichaels February 2, 2018

Little Kids Show gets adapted in a peice of crap

This film is so bad a for me since I am not a little kid. This film is cool that they would make a live action adaptation of the cartoon, I never liked the cartoon and this is just as bad. This film will be liked by little kids. The humans are better than the smurfs them self's. The jokes are so bad. Do not watch.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byHendo H. U December 28, 2017
Some rude words and some scary moments.

Adult Written byR.Richardson May 22, 2012

The Hit and Miss Smurfs

Rubbish, the worst film I have ever seen in my life. How could anyone ever go and watch this shambles?

Adult Written byGrayWolf March 8, 2012

Fun movie

Very fun movie for the family. I enjoyed it and more importantly my boys enjoyed watching it.

Adult Written byRobbyWBoy16 January 3, 2012

Smurfs2011

good smurfs movie, it will be good to kids. there is no language, i dont think smurf is a curse word. it's not!!

Parent of a 5, 6, 7, 10, 10, and 17 year old Written byCharlie The Cat December 17, 2011

My 6, 7, 8, 10, 10, and 17 year old Hate The Show But Liked The Movie

Only My 5 year-old Likes the show but my other kids liked the Movie LOL
Adult Written bygeat October 11, 2011

sooo violent!!!

i guess i didn't take the PG serious enough, was just thinking about the old smurf cartoons... i wish now i would have. i took my daughter who will turn 3 in 2 month to see the film coz she is crazy about the cartoons. i really regret it now. she was really scared. i should have left early with her. i hope she wont get nightmares. it makes me angry that they think it's needed to put torture and fighting scenes which seem to almost copy/parody R rated movies into a kids movie. i don't understand why.
Adult Written bymum_of_one October 5, 2011

not happy jan...

i dont agree with a movie targeted at kids using the word SMURF (or any other word for that matter) to cover up bad innapropriate language, so this movie wont be making it into our dvd collection, but in saying this my 5yo daughter enjoyed it and found it really funny.
Adult Written byangrydaddy September 13, 2011

Not seeing a down side, but an unexpected Pro-Life moment is present! HURRAY!

Dad of 2 girls ages 8 & 3. I had my parenting shields up on full and I just didn't come away with much to be mad about. Some of the other reviewer busted this movie for it's: *use word smurf in the place of profanity *Smurfette's Marilyn Monroe moment *High product placement -Yes, the Smurfs say smurf a lot. They did in the original cartoon they did as well. The main human actor (Doogie Houser guy) says once in the movie, "You guys say smurf all the time, What dose that mean anyway -Smurf, SMURF! SMURFITY-SMURF!" To which all the smurfs present in the scene gasp and Papa smurf says "There is no call for that kind of language." It is fun and innocent, if adults don't read to much into it. And believe me, we are hard on "replacement words" with the entire family. -Yes, Smurfette steps on an air vent and her dress moves a little. It was not a zoom-in shot or even exaggerated. The smurfs that are present in the scene look and say "whoa" -fairly tame. The thing that bugged me about the scene was the new smurf "gutsy" jumps on the air grate in his kilt with her, and shakes his booty showing his underwear. I guess I'm just sick of seeing people's underwear. -And yes, there is a bunch of product placement. The guy (Doogie again) is an ad-agent. I think it is kind of the joke, because a great deal of the movie centers around a make-or-break project he has at work. Kids need to learn to deal with it anyway. Even if we (the USA) become a full socialistic country or out right comi state, capitalism will always be around. (like modern day China) My negs. -Doogie's boss has an assistant that is clearly portrayed as a homosexual. -Didn't like that. Not my choice, I'm a Christian -not a homophobe. -I could have lived without the guitar-hero stuff. Up Shots! -Unexpectedly, this movie has strong lessons on FAMILY, and the RESPONSIBILITIES that come with belonging. Yea! -Also, Two GIANT THUMBS UP for a ProLife stance, as Doogie, an expectant father, looks at his baby's first picture -AN UNTRA-SOUND! Hurray! We're sure to get it on dvd. And I'll refer my Christian friends to it for their kids, -and expect to keep them as friends. Onward Christian Soldiers!

Adult Written byraime August 25, 2011

I think the movie is great....

I think the movie is great, and explains to the kids why working together is important . I also believe that it is nice to be able to see my childhood cartoons, and my son would be able to enjoy the same characters.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bymomma18 August 24, 2011

Good enough. Not too bad.

Not so bad. Don't pay a lot to go see it..but still fun for a family outing. There's not that many movies that we really CAN see due to the violence/scary factor. (8-year old and 6-year old) This one wasn't too scary and the violence was pratfall for the most part. There was one scene where an older lady tranforms into a younger lady and there was too much camera work on the breast and butt area for a kids show, but other than that it wasn't very objectionable. When I mentioned this scene to my son he couldn't even remember it. So...good enough!

Adult Written bymomof2plus August 21, 2011

Smurfariffic!!!

Our family loved the movie! It's cute and funny and sweet. It had both of us and our 8yr old laughing out loud quite a few times. As far as smurf being substituted for swear words, it was very unnoticeable in my opinion and my husbands, we kept waiting for it to be a big deal. There was only one time I can think of "smurf smurf smurfitty smurf smurf smurf" and to be honest I didn't take it that way. He was referring to the smurfs using the word smurf for everything, it didn't seem like a swear substitute, it was funny and harmless. Oh wait "Oh my smurf" but not a big deal imo at all and I think that was in the trailer as someone else mentioned. They used the word smurf for everything just like in the cartoon! As far as the smurfette dress thing, wasn't that big of a focus, right over little ones heads. Not necessary I agree, but understated compared to the innuendos in a lot of so called family friendly or even children's movies. The product placement not a big deal either imo,the Blue Man Group one was funny and the rest had a reason for being there (some because they were blue and the smurfs were trying to blend in) and some because they were in a store and stores havethings with brands on them. Almost all movies have product placement, except 100% animated movies. The overwhelming message is one of loyalty, bravery and putting family first. The movie has some very sweet moments. Loved going to a movie that left us smiling and singing (ok my husband wasn't singing but he did really like it too) , and required no damage control afterwards (unlike so many movies billed as family friendly but that are actually so not). Always fun to be able to share part of childhood with our kids too right! And as far as it being set mostly outside of the forest I think that made it more fun and definitely made for our favorite scenes by far! So glad we took a chance and went!

Parent Written byLinVA August 19, 2011

Funny, decently-good movie

As far as the summer movies go, this one wasn't bad, and that is great for this year. It is much less dark than Kung Fu Panda 2 and had a lot less inuendo than Hop. It was even funny sometimes. I did not watch Smurfs growing up, so wasn't disappointed with the comparison. My boys actually laughed out loud a few times, and that is more than the other summer movies have done for us.

Adult Written bypamomof4 August 12, 2011

Not exactly like the original smurfs, but great anyway

I think this movie was fabulous. I took a 5, 9, and 12 year old, and they all loved it equally. The characters were endearing, however, not exactly as they were in the original cartoon. The original cartoon had much simpler plots, but then again, it wasn't a movie. I didn't know Smurfette was created by Gargamel (sp?), so I guess I learned something. The kids didn't care either way. I was surprised that none of my kids asked where Mama smurf was.

Parent of a 9 year old Written bykenyadee August 11, 2011

For kids, not parents

Two stars = disappointing. Well, the reality is that it lived up to my low expectations. It had a couple of chuckles and a likeable cast, but it's just not for parents. The "language" is hidden (smurfed off) so most kids won't get the references. My son enjoyed it; I tolerated it.

Parent of a 6 and 10 year old Written byironman2 August 10, 2011

The Smurfs, an OK movie

The Smurfs was a much anticipated movie and I thought that it was OK. It could get nominated for Best Animated Feuture in the oscars but it won't win.
Adult Written byanjelina23 August 8, 2011

My kids loved it

Reading some of the other reviews you would think this movie had as much violence, sex, and foul language as a rated R movie! People are so rediculous! Our kids see worse "sexual innuendo's" on Nick or Disney these days or any random commercial on regular TV for that matter. I took my 3 and 6 year old and they loved it. Any thing you may consider a "sexual innuendo" flew over their heads anyways. Not to mention, last time I checked "smurf" was not a bad word. They didn't just use the word in place of where other "curse" words may have been but also in MANY other random places, like "smurf-tastic" or "smurf-eriffic"! Come on people, REALLY?! I don't think my son will get sent home from school for saying Smurf! Lighten up people!

Adult Written byStoikowitz August 6, 2011

Seriously?

Once I read the reviews from other parents, I was hesitant in taking my 5 year old daughter to see this movie. However, I did so anyway. Wow! Some parents are over the top in rating this movie. The entire time I was waiting for all the "Smurf" curse words, the torturing of Papa Smurf, and the sexual innuendos, I mean please, are you all serious!? Just reading those reviews ruined the movie for me. The Marylyn Monroe scene was innocent, and Papa Smurf being tortured, that's hilarious, and they used the word "Smurf" for everything! Needless to say, the movie was not one of my favorites but it definitely wasn't as bad as most of these parents have portrayed it to be.
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byTimJ August 6, 2011