All parent member reviews for The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Adult Written bynduns December 26, 2010

A fun popcorn flick

I think those giving the film lower than 3 are taking it a tad too seriously. When I watched this film, I couldn't take it seriously. I saw it as mostly a comedy as it was more funny than anything. It's also very dorky, but it passes in this sense as it really does embrace its own dorkyness and acknowledges the fact that it is nerdy. All in all, as a popcorn flick, it's fun.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byMarcomMom July 15, 2010

This was fun for my ten-year-old daughter to watch. What kid doesn't like to fantasize about being some kind of "chosen one" with special powers, like Harry Potter? Don't go looking for some deep message, though, other than one about being willing to take risks for the greater good.. I wasn't thrilled with the presentation of the pentagram as a positive power symbol -- that's a controversial idea at best -- but overall it seemed basically harmless and entertaining.
Adult Written bycyber_mom4 December 20, 2010

Nothing new here.

It was trite and too many cliches. Even my kids thought it was pretty stupid. Good special effects, but no originality.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byNisha1 August 8, 2010

A little occult but a good watch none the less

I took my 8 year old daughter to see this movie and we both enjoyed it. I am Christian by faith so the demonic symbols were disturbing to watch but it wasn't frequent. A little science was also mixed into the story which I liked. All in all it was a good fantasy movie for older kids. A good watch
Adult Written bybabatopenot February 22, 2011

Instead of paying money to see this movie, buy packs of oatmeal cream pies. They are cheaper and will bring you more pleasure.

The plot was cliché, the jokes were lame, and the action sequences could have been a lot better. There was one scene in which the main character animates a bunch of mops to clean up his hangout after he realizes it is too dirty for his girlfriend (we get to see his dog peeing on the floor first--funny right?). Apparently some sort of demented tribute, the subsequent Mickey-like brouhaha reminds me of that one scene from Shyamalan's "Lady in the Water". It makes you want to say "What the crap?!" just not in an amused way. As a Christian, I was also offended by the Satanic aspects of the portrayed “sorcery”—which was much worse than the mild hocus pocus in the Harry Potter films. A series of past “sorcerers” are reincarnated including a supposed subject of the Salem Witch Trials and—in one flashing instant—we see bones from the Christian Catacombs being reincarnated. This I found an unacceptable linking of fantasy magic to real demonic sorcery to the early Christians (which, the director apparently disturbingly thought were all the same thing). If you are not a Christian, you will find this movie just some cheap Harry Potter wannabe that is not worth your time. If you are a Christian, there are a lot more reasons besides inanity to avoid it.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byCelticHeart July 16, 2010

Not a good choice for our family

My husband and I saw it last night. The highlights of the film were fairly well exploited in the trailers which minimized the "punch" when seen during the film. We enjoy fantasy films and considering the subject of the film, expected some 'spells' and related inference. However, the specific use of pentagrams and other occult images peppered the film liberally which conflicts with my personal faith. In addition, although there were delightful scenes and spectacular CG effects, the script was rushed through elements that seemed foundational (specifically the opening "prologue") while dragging a bit on the less key points. I found the previews much better than the film turned out to be. It felt like it could have been so much better but I thought Cage was at his best, as was Molina.
Parent of a 5, 8, 10, and 13 year old Written bydjnkpete May 9, 2011
Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written byOR-MovieFan July 29, 2010

Better than its reputation. Fun summer fare, not sure why more people aren't going. Most reviews from people who've seen it also liked it.
Adult Written byJulia from Sweden June 27, 2011

I'm 18, and I was happily surprised by the maturity in a film aimed at kids.

Movie is fun for the entire family. Kids can enjoy the special effects and tweens/teens enjoy the relationships.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written bybrown_eyed_girl April 27, 2011

Not bad, not great

Intro setting up the story was hard to follow. Lots of scenes of wizards battling will be too scary for younger kids. It felt like some explanatory scenes might have been edited out because at times plot was hard to follow. You feel good about rooting for the lovable underdog hero but at times also wish he'd stop being so whiny. Basically a mindless piece of fluff, but not really in a good way.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byBubbly94 August 6, 2010

Good family film

Fun! We enjoyed it.
Adult Written byMovieMan26 October 9, 2010

Fun fantasy adventure is too scary for young kids

This is a very fun movie. I highly enjoyed it. The cast was great. The effects were a bit campy, but I suppose that was done on purpose for the kids. The story is original and interesting. The only problem was that this was more aimed to be a summer blockbuster for kids than a smart fantasy thriller for adults. If the story had been rewritten for adults or even teens, I think it could have the been the fantastical version of Inception. But, that doesn't mean this wasn't a good movie. I actually would give this 3.5 stars if i could. I was honestly surprised by how much I enjoyed this. Parents: there are frightening moments and characters abound. The action scenes can get intense, despite being fantasy based. Bottom Line: This is one of the best fantasies I have seen in a while. It's very fun, runs smoothly, and has an awesome new musical instrument that you have to see to understand. Very fun for almost the whole family. Thanks for reading! - Movie Man
Parent Written byjrn July 25, 2010

Perfect for Tweens

Entertaining movie. Took a group of 12 year olds who really enjoyed it. Some frightening images that might scare younger children. The wimpy kid who is teased in school wins in the end, as he gains confidence in his abilities and gets the girl of his dreams!
Parent of a 14 year old Written bymaxcowboy July 27, 2010

Loved this movie...the characters were great and the message as well. No sex or profanity, but filled with humor and great CG....I highly recommend it and cant wait for the sequel Marvel and DC movies should take a cue from this fun movie.
Parent Written byvanda July 20, 2010

Perfect fo kids who likes magic

I think its a pretty good movie
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byaldityali September 10, 2010

Too scary for my 8 yr old, but my 10 yr old enjoyed it.

My husband & I enjoyed the movie. My 8 yr old had a hard time getting the images of the fire, skeletons, nesting doll & evil characters out of her mind. She couldn't sleep & had nightmares. My 10 year old thought the movie was entertaining and enjoyed it.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byJenChefMom August 5, 2010

A litle scary but totally fun!

Just took my 9 yr. old daughter to see it. She had her eyes closed more often than not, but didn't want to leave. I think she enjoyed getting a little scared but won't admit to it. She LOVED the ending. I thought it was great fun.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bybeautifullysaid2010 July 19, 2010

Cute but not exceptional

It was a little boring for my ten year old.
Parent of a 5, 6, and 9 year old Written bymama p July 18, 2010

Parent of a 11 year old Written bystepsmith23 July 18, 2010

The movie was a little dark. Like the title suggests, the movie deals with magic and witchcraft. There is some violence and there are parts that are scary for little children.