Parent reviews for The Star

Sweet Nativity story told from animals' perspective.

Adult Written byMarie C. November 18, 2017

Blown away by the film, and the reality it was shown in theaters!

I despise the majority of children's programming (and adult programming for that matter) and haven’t seen a movie in a theater in about five years. I took my five year old daughter to see this movie today with friends and was moved to tears by the way the story was told. Surely anyone who has any contact with Christians would come away with new perspectives after seeing the movie. Several of the songs throughout the movie are traditional Christmas hymns, and Mary and Joseph are individually shown in prayer! I minored in theology at a Jesuit college, and in my opinion the writers of the script brilliantly melded the story of Jesus’s birth with humor while displaying the humanity of the well-developed characters. How often do we see Mary and Joseph so young and full of life, then truly concerned about fulfilling the massive responsibility of parenthood, much less raising the son of God? The scene in which they are in their home, and Joseph goes to sleep next to Mary after struggling to process the impending birth, was beautifully interpreted. Even their differing perspectives on Bo the donkey, and the teachable examples of miscommunication and stubbornness, were thoughtfully displayed. Being sent out on a journey with unanticipated challenges is symbolic of life itself, while the sometimes overwhelming personal struggle to find God and guidance in one’s life was treated sensitively and honestly. And Bo’s deliberation throughout the movie, as he sought to choose whether to follow his dream or sacrifice his hopes of glory to serve Mary’s need, reflects a reality all parents can identify with, in ministering to their own children as well as at some point aging parents. He is transformed by Mary’s compassion toward him, growing out of his personal quest for fame into a creature filled with a sense of duty to protect the vulnerable Mary. Showing how diverse groups of animals (symbolizing people) can unify to help others is truly uplifting. I found Ruth the sheep’s disclosure that she tried in vain to encourage the other sheep to follow the star, before setting out alone, a brilliant analogy for following Christ when others around you ostracize you. And (spoiler alert) the scenes with Bo the donkey where he confronts the soldier sent to kill baby Jesus, and Bo’s response to the attack dogs at the end of the movie, could not have better demonstrated Christian sacrifice (laying down one’s life for another), repentance and forgiveness! I truly hope that many families choose to watch this movie together, no matter their faith background, as it addresses profound concepts about the values of family, community, altruism and life purpose while exploring the impact of selfishness, remorse and forgiveness.

Parent Written byLeigh T. November 27, 2017

Too much focus on the hunt for Mary

Our sensitive 4-year-old loved this movie...except for the *multiple* scenes with the scary dogs and Herod's henchman with the huge knife. In the final climactic scene she was screaming in fear. The CSM review did mention these elements, but didn't mention how many times they appeared in the film -- I wish the film had dialed this back some. On the upside, the other characters (both animal and human) were appealing and accessible; we liked the messages of bravery, generosity, and determination. We are a mixed-faith family and while of course we knew we were seeing a movie about the birth of Christ, we appreciated that it wasn't too heavy-handed.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byMary C. November 22, 2017

Not for young kids

Took my 3.5 year old son to see it and it was too scary for him. King Herods henchman is portrayed as very threatening and menacing. It was almost out of place with the other tones in the movie. I felt like it was not necessary to the story. I would not recommend this movie to kids under the age of 5. The religious aspects of this movie are fine for non-religious individuals as I felt they didn't spend too much time on this although they still do discuss God, angels, and a new King.

Adult Written byPaul D. November 16, 2017

Great

It's about time a movie is out that you can take your kids and grandkids to!

Parent Written byTeam S. November 19, 2017

Loved The Star!

We took our 4 year old to see it and he said it was his favorite movie ever! He stayed engaged and really enjoyed the story. Bo was his favorite, of course. I loved the moral behind the story. Must see.

Parent Written byJen D. November 22, 2017

Refreshing

It was wonderful to see a movie for children that was 100% appropriate and that expressed solid values. I highly recommend this movie for all families to see before Christmas, particularly those who celebrate Christmas as a secular holiday. It is a good reminder of why we exchange gifts and place stars or angels on top of our trees.

Parent of a 12 and 18+ year old Written byMisty C. December 3, 2017

LOVE LOVE LOVE The Star! Amazing family movie!

We really loved this movie! So nice to see something that is appropriate for all ages. The positive message, not having to worry about what was in the movie. It pretty much follows the Biblical true story of the birth of Jesus. I have seen a few parents say that it was too violent, and that Herod's "bad guy" should've been left out? One bad guy with two dogs is hardly violent compared to the real truth of that time. The characters were so funny and cute. Our favorites were "Bo" the donkey and "Ruth" the sheep. Overall a good, fun family movie with an excellent truthful message. Highly recommend! The only reason that I suggested for ages 4 and up is because I remember our kid's attention span at age 3 wasn't the best for the theater.

Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byHillary W. November 26, 2017

Such a great movie!

I am very picky about what my children watch. My 3 and 6 year old loved it. So glad we picked it to be my 3 year olds first movie. There is one screen near the end that he said was scary, but at the end of the movie he was asking to see it again. The villain falls off the cliff with his two dogs. He can't lift himself and the dogs, so he lets them fall. They are rescued and learn to be good dogs. So great to hear classic Christmas songs modernized. It was a very enjoyable experience for our family. A down right cute movie.

Parent of a 5 year old Written byMacdaddy M November 17, 2017

Great movie with positive messages!

This movie is great for the whole family! We need more movies like this with positive messages that teach kids important values of friendship, love, and caring. The only downside to this movie is that the soldier’s hunt for Mary tends to drag on and detract from some of the positive messages.

Parent Written byKendra B November 18, 2017

Sweet

It's a movie we'll be watching every Christmas
Parent of a 8 year old Written byHeather B. December 5, 2017

Beautiful

Sweet movie about the birth of Christ. Beautiful music, cute animals, sweet animation and great message-forgiveness, love and helping others even when it is hard.

Aunt of a 4 year old Written bysusan e. November 20, 2017

great Movie. i glad it added it added other stories from bible

I think every parent should take their children absolutely great
Parent Written byTabitha P. November 26, 2017

Awesome movie for family

We just saw it with our 5 kids, ages 3-14. We all enjoyed it. There is a small sense of danger and depending on your little one, they may be afraid in a few parts. However, the story is wonderfully told in a unique way. There are several take home lessons, God asks us to do hard things and He provides a way even when we don’t understand, there is redemption with Christ. Friendship and unity are important etc. Even if you are not Christian, I believe this film is wonderful because the values of perseverance, friendship and love are important to us as humans. We all enjoyed it and will buy a copy for our home when it’s released outside of theaters. We need to support more family movies like this for our children.

Adult Written byTherese K. November 24, 2017

Wonderful family movie!

This was a wonderful and sweet way to tell the Nativity story. It was a new twist to have the animals tell their story. My children ages 3-15 loved it and will see it again. We loved how we could see Mary and Joseph in their daily life and struggles. It kept us on edge with the mean dogs and soldier chasing after Mary & Joseph, but ultimately we all know how the story ends with the Birth of Jesus- and all is well and good. We all laughed and cried, a beautiful movie!

Adult Written byPaz E. December 2, 2017

I loved it! Me encanto!!

I really like the movie, and the way Jesus story was told in a simple friendly way, from the animals perspective. I loved the messages and I feel that it was needed to have a little bit more of this messages around Christmas time. My 6 years old loved it . Well done Me encanto ver la historia del nacimiento de Jesus contada para chicos, desde la perspectiva de los animales. Era necesario un mensaje mas profundo del sentido de la Navidad. Mi hijo de 6 anios la disfruto mucho, lo escuche gritar y vivar en los mejores momentos. Siento que hacia falta una pelicula asi, bien hecho. Gracias
Adult Written byAnt R. December 2, 2017

An out of this world christmas movie

I took my 8 yr old and 12 yr old kids. They loved the movie. I watched many movie with my kids in theater. But this is the best movie of all since it was all about good news. there was no violence. it was like watching a church movie.my kids thought it was funny.

Adult Written byT B. November 24, 2017

Cute!

The cinematography, songs, etc. were very good and the story remained fairly true to Scripture. Of course, there were no talking animals. We don't know that there were three wisemen and however many there were, they probably arrived when Jesus was a bit older. But the story came out more than usual about evil King Herod and his minions. (BTW, his soldier and dogs could be scary for some children.) There were a couple of mentions of the Messiah, though no obvious explanation. Some foreshadowing such as splinters of wood in the form of a cross. Recommended as a way to help put the focus on the true meaning of Christmas!
Parent Written byMary Y. November 23, 2017

Great Movie

Great movie. I think it might be the start of a yearly holiday tradition.
Adult Written byMaria Marsala M. December 4, 2017

Exceptional 2x over

I took two children ages 3 and 6 to see this movie. When asked what they thought, they both said exceptional. I thought it would be a little more faith based, but laughed with the children, explained one or two things to them, and watched them get scared when they thought that the baby Jesus wouldn't have a place to be born. Very cute... especially Bo.

Parent Written byAngie P. December 3, 2017