Parent reviews for The Sword in the Stone

The Sword in the Stone Poster Image

A Disney Classic!

My family loves this movie. We turn it on several times in a month. We have it on now. Characters tease and pick on each other, but it’s not a big deal to us. They know that we don’t call each other names. Cartoons and real life are not the same. There’s mild scary stuff like a silly looking wolf. My kids laughed at its clumsiness mostly. There’s a magic war between the wizard Merlin and a witch. All they do is turn themselves into different animals and try to eat each other. I’ve explained to my kids that this is all pretend. It’s a cartoon for Pete’s sake. I think there’s a lot of positive stuff. Like my kid was like “guests first” when someone came over, and I think that came from this movie. This movie reinforces that education and reading is important. This is just a fun all around movie. I think it’s a very child- friendly movie. I think older kids (10+) would be bored with this movie, but it’s great for younger kids.

2 people found this helpful.

*Consent

I'd suggest being aware and preparing for discussion about consent after the scene in which the protagonists turn into squirrels and get lustily attacked by other squirrels, including getting kissed while saying no.
1 person found this helpful.
Old favorite from my childhood. Happy to report my kids enjoyed it as well.

Things

Great movie, but some stuff to be aware of as a parent

This is one of my husband's favorite Disney movies, but I do I do there are plenty of things that I see differently through a parent's eye. I think a lot of other reviews cover most things, but in particular, I am very aware of any offensive language in movies my kids watch. There is quite a bit of name calling (bumbling blockhead, you old goat, the old devil, etc.) which I don't like because I don't want my kids thinking it's good to call others names. The characters can be quite mean to each other at times, which may be okay for older kids to see if they are better with interpersonal relationships. But my 3-year-old picks up everything and I don't want him to learn that being cruel and unkind to others is appropriate when you're upset. In terms of sexual content, there is very little. There are 2 squirrels kissing briefly and a short scene where Madam Mim turns "beautiful," which is just a sexy cartoon character. It is brief and can easily be skipped over. There were several scenes that were a bit scary for younger kids. A wolf, scary fish, hawk, and dark witch all try to kill Wart, so those scenes should be gauged based on your kiddo. My son first watched this at aged 2 and we skipped over all the scary scenes, but he does okay with them at aged 3.

Negative messages

Yes, this modeled persistence but so do most Studio Ghibli movies without all the negativity. With Sword and the Stone, you get: - The good and bad guys constantly laughing at misfortune of others - Cartoon violence at Looney Tunes levels - Chasing/escaping tired romantic tropes - The good and bad guys insulting each other nonstop - A lot of bullying Definitely not appropriate for any kids in the single digits but, even for older kids, not much here that isn't in much better movies without so much negative behavior.

Easy to watch for parents and kids

Our 4 year old loved it. She wasn't scared by Madam Mim scenes (wanted to know whether the girl or the boy was better at magic), but was very upset when the girl squirrel was sad after Wart turned back into a boy. She talked about that bit a lot afterwards. There were screams when the pike tried to eat Wart, but screams indicate enjoyment mixed with a bit of fear. She asked to see it again the day after watching it. Easy film to watch. Can go to the kitchen without being worried that something terrifying (for the child) will happen in the film. Pure enjoyable fantasy. Would prob be ok for kids younger than 4 if they have the attention span to sit through that length film.

Squirrel!

Classic Disney medieval fun suitable for the whole family on a quick 1 hour watch that loves RPG games, but mostly for kids over 7 as there are some saucy scenes like with the squirrels and lots of slapstick violence. In consumerism of course Disneyland where you maybe can be the knight wielding the sword.

Great values for today

I was struck by two lessons in this gentle, entertaining movie: 1) That without good government, the strong will prey upon the weak, and 2) Intellect is powerful and should be valued. As an American in 2020, I see the need for these message to be spread far and wide. Our family enjoyed the comedic moments in The Sword in the Stone, and I was pleased that it wasn't too long. I am not usually a promoter of movie watching for the youngest kids, but I am giving this one a younger age rating than usual, because of the length, the gentleness, and the positive messages. A minor (or, perhaps, not-so-minor if I gave it some thought) point of contention is the portrayal of female squirrels as sexually aggressive. As with most mammals, this isn't the case. However, the point that "love is powerful" is well taken if left at that.

Great for all ages!

A great and inspirational tale with not a ton of scary stuff and lots of positive messages.