All parent member reviews for The Three Musketeers

Adult Written byDr3w November 8, 2011

Who Would Let Their 8 Year Old Watch This?

My brother and I began watching this film while we were staying with a friend of our mothers. We saw that it was a Disney movie and was rated PG, so we thought it would probably be fine. Plus, with Kiefer Sutherland, Chris O'Donnel and Tim Curry in the cast, we thought it would probably be pretty decent. I don't know how to express my disappointment in this film. The action was mediocre at best, the plot was not developed well at all, the dialogue wasn't amusing or even light-hearted, and simply nothing in this film was as good as it should have been. I would get more excited about watching Gunga Din again than I would about watching this movie. My second disappointment in this film, however, was the near constant barrage of sensual scenes. There are many shots of busty women wearing cleavage bearing outfits that left me and my brother feeling very uncomfortable the whole film. There is partial nudity as a woman gets out of a bathtub and her bare back is visible. This scene is also problematic because, while the viewer may only see her back, the cardinal has snuck into the woman's room and sees her from the front. Early on there are bawdy innuendos involving infidelity (Aramis is shown leaping from a married woman's house after her husband burst in on them. Ostensibly all they were doing was reading the Bible, but the woman was wearing VERY revealing period underwear that leaves very little to the imagination). The main characters are shown carousing with prostitutes. D'Artagnan ends up making out with Milady while dressed only in his whity-tighties in a very sensual scene. There is a scene in a bar with drinking and prostitutes making veiled lewd comments. There was no explicit nudity or sexuality in this film, but the near constant sensuality makes me wonder who thinks this film would be ok for 8 and up especially since there are some fairly intense and violent scenes as well.
Parent Written byQueaks June 26, 2014

Great movie, but too risque for young kids!

This is the first time I have been surprised by a Common Sense Media rating. This is not anything I would want my 8 yr old or even 10 yr old to watch. Children emulate. Do you want them repeating the racy content in this movie? I sure don't. Look closely at the description on this page under "Sexy Stuff" says, "The heroes have women falling all over them and most of the women are about to fall out of their costumes -- lots of heaving bosoms. An evil cardinal threatens and tries to seduce women. Lots of kissing, talk of love, and wooing. A woman takes a bath and appears nude from the waist up, we see her bare back. A man tries to grope a woman who pulls a knife on him, placing it at his private area." This movie needs to be re-evaluated!