Kid reviews for The To Do List

Hilarious teen sex comedy has lots of raunch, drinking.

Teen, 16 years old Written byjm97 July 26, 2013

Best comedy of the year so far!

This one of the most hilarious movies I have ever seen. Aubrey Plaza shines as a strait-laced honors student, Brandy Clark on a mission to get an education in sex before she goes to college. This role is really different for Plaza, who is known for sarcastic, disaffected characters such as April Ludgate in NBC's Parks and Recreation, or Darius in Safety Not Guaranteed. The rest of the cast is hilarious as well, with Rachel Bilson, Connie Britton, Bill Hader, and others. This definitely a great movie for older teens and adults, but do leave the kids at home. It is rated R for a reason! It is very raunchy, but extremely funny!

Kid, 9 years old July 30, 2013

THE to do list

THE most funny movie of the summer!!!

Teen, 16 years old Written byB-KMastah July 30, 2013

Underwhelming and just not that funny.

When I first saw the trailer, I thought that this would be an unmitigated disaster. It wasn't, surprisingly. I giggled enough for it to not be bad, but that's not to say that it's good. It's pretty laden with tropes; the only difference is the gender reversal, but that's really nothing notable. I mean, come on. It's 2013 (even though the movie takes place in 1993, but still). Aubrey Plaza was good - I absolutely love her - but I could have seen anyone in her role so I feel as if she was wasted. All of the leads were good despite the fact that Donald Glover and Christopher Mintz-Plasse were totally wasted. It's a little long and the raunch becomes tiresome rather quickly. I enjoyed the '90s references when they didn't seem forced (someone says "I got it on VHS," like, as opposed to what, laserdisc which no one really used?), but I still got bored with the repetitiveness of it all since the writing isn't that good. It never builds to anything. It just ends, and that's it. It's like they didn't ever revise the script. 5.6/10, meh, one thumb down, below average, etc.

Teen, 16 years old Written byMovieMan626 October 10, 2013

The To Do List is a distasteful comedy barely worth of watching.

What seems to be an attempt to flip womanizing sex comedies lands flat on its face. Loveable Aubrey Plaza subjects herself to a leading role in a below average film. It's no secret women can use men. We don't need a movie to prove it. Young brandy is graduating high school with stellar grades and is ready for college. Only one problem: sexual inexperience. So she sets out to fulfill a list of sexual acts. It is gross. Unnecessary crude humor is thrown in your face and it is distasteful. It's clunky and stupid. Overall, the to do list is a completely unenjoyable experience.

Teen, 15 years old Written bysarcasticprincess March 16, 2016

Quirky, funny, and liberating

Where do I start? I really, really enjoyed this movie. I had been hearing about it for a little while, but I was a bit hesitant to watch it. I thought maybe I wasn't mature enough to handle it. But, I love Aubrey Plaza, so I decided to go for it. The movie is pretty raunchy, but that should be expected, given that it is a sex comedy. But, it's enjoyable. The characters are entertaining and funny, and extremely well-cast. I love the aesthetic of the film too, with the early 90's setting and pastel colors. But my favorite part of the movie were the overall themes. I thought it was pretty feminist in that sense. There aren't a whole lot of female-led movies in the coming-of-age sexual genre (while there are quite a few focused on men, e.g. American Pie, Porky, etc.) and frankly, I'd like that to change. But for now, The To-Do List is great. I love that it supports the concept of women empowering their own sexuality without slut-shaming or negative consequences. The sexual relationships aren't romantic, and I think that's also a theme of the film (in fact, one character says "sex is just sex.") The sex-positive messages are great, especially in a society where sex is everywhere, but still so taboo. I don't think I can really suggest an ideal age to watch this movie, because it all depends on the maturity level of the kid (or teen, most likely.) The sex scenes are pretty graphic. There's no nudity but there is some moaning and thrusting. The language is also a bit harsh, but if your kid is in high school, they hear this stuff on the daily (and a lot of them probably say it too; let's be real here.) All-in-all, I enjoyed this movie and I really recommend it to anyone mature who has an interest in it, especially girls who are curious about sex. (Now, I'm not recommending everyone follow in Brandy's footsteps, but in my opinion, it's fine as long as you're ready and safe.) Anyway, this movie got me thinking about how society views female sexuality, and I loved it.

Teen, 16 years old Written byilikepie367 November 26, 2015

Pretty Gross

I like her on Parks & Rec, but this movie was pretty gross- plus the ending was very disappointing and rushed. Don't watch if you don't like nasty graphic stuff
Kid, 9 years old December 9, 2013

BEST LOVE MOVIE EVER!

It was a very good movie but do not let your kids watch this movie! The movie is all about love !

Teen, 17 years old Written byletztalkmoveez November 17, 2013

"The To Do List"

Aubrey Plaza is a delightful, hysterical woman, and her latest is a sex comedy in the most unadulterated sense of the term. It deftly balances broad humor and some of the crudest gross-out gags I've ever seen with subtler wit and perspective on teen sexuality in a way that feels so personal, so honest; this is among the bigger comedy surprises in recent memory.

Teen, 15 years old Written byHope_99 March 1, 2014

Disappointing

Teen, 15 years old Written bynikestar17 January 13, 2016

One of the best movies I have ever seen

This movie is for teens.Teens would know at least what most of the terms mentioned in the movie mean such as motorboating,masterbation & dry hump.