All parent member reviews for The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

Adult Written byrandomposter June 7, 2010

Bella is a TERRIBLE role model

Ok, I've read all 4 of the Twilight Saga books, and seen the other 2 movies. All I can say is that this series makes young girls obsess over fictional characters. The books are pieces of crap and are poorly written , which translates to the movies with it's bad acting and stupid plot points. This series has a "role model" who is a young female with no ambitions in life and no desires to do anything, or even go to college, but as long as she has men throwing themselves at her she'll be happy. She's in an abusive relationship with Edward. He is entirely to controlling, and she puts herself in danger for him. Jacob can be a jerk too. It's so stupid and gives a bad message to young girls that all they need in their lives is a man and makes them care too much about finding love too young.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byFrogs Mom July 2, 2010

Perfect for older kids, but not for tweens

I'm a big fan of this saga and this latest movie did not disappoint and is definitely the best of the 3 so far. I do have concerns about the messages about relationships for pre-teen and even teenage girls who see that for "the" guy the heroine gives up friends, family and even her life. There is the sneaking-around-behind-dad's-back aspect as Edward is a frequent, if not constant, overnight guest in Bella's bed. Less of this is shown in the movie than the books but it is still there. There is open dialogue about having sex and when, i.e. waiting or not. It's scary that this obsessive, addictive relationship is what we are showing kids is the epitomy of romance. It's one thing for adult enjoyment but for younger viewers requires a lot of parent conversation to right some misperceptions of romantic love portrayed here.
Adult Written byXanadu84 March 18, 2010

Dig a little deeper parents, it might not be so safe...

Twilight is a bit of a sleeper problem. On one hand, its hard to point to specific, traditional problems that media might have, I.E. Violence, blood, gore, sex, etc. The quality of writing also clearly skews the entire series towards the, "Guilty pleasure" end of the spectrum, trying to be a fun, cheesy, escapist romance. Certainly I won't judge anyone for enjoying this guilty pleasure. The problem this franchise presents is 2 pronged: first from the subtle messages, and the second from the fan community. First, it's worth looking at the message. Certainly there isn't anything to point to that is outright bad on its own, but the far more meaningful, instructive message underneath needs to be addressed. It's far to easy to look at Twilight as an instruction manual for an abusive, codependent relationship. Note how Bella, as a character, seems to have absolutely no personality outside of being defined by the guy she likes. The guy also comes across as a bit of a creepy, controlling stalker. A lot of the tense, dramatic moments fueled by the condition of Edwards vampirism can easily be taken by younger children as a justification for situations where someone needs to call the cops. If a child is at all likely to model there views of relationships off of what they read, then seriously consider not allowing access to this, or at least having a serious talk about the separation of reality and fantasy. The second issue, and perhaps a slightly unfair one, is the fan community. Certainly there are plenty of normal Twilight fans, and most popular intellectual properties have a seedy underbelly. However, Twilight's bears particular concern. A cursory Google search will be filled with disturbing instances, up to and including acts of vandalism, assault, and threats, all based on opinions regarding the book or the characters. Even the Actor who plays the male lead has stated concern regarding fanatic fans who cut themselves, and try to get him to drink there blood. Certainly you can't judge an individual based on there tastes, but be aware that this underbelly exists, and it is not a positive thing. Overall, it is easy to miss a need to remove Twilight from your child's media diet. Its influences are more subtle then can be presented on a simple G-R scale. I would recommend going a little deeper, reading plot synapses, and critical articles on the franchise before making a decision. In the interest of full disclosure, I personally can't stand Twilight, and personally judge its quality to be very, very poor, regardless of its adult content. That could skew my perception. Take of this what you will.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byHeberMama July 2, 2010

Why do we allow the Twilight stories to program our girls into thinking that obsession and desperation are normal and cool? I cannot condone this movie despite its good points because of what I see as sad, pretty twisted, emotional messages.
Parent of a 9, 12, 13, 16, and 18 year old Written byMovieadviceguru July 4, 2010

Great for Tween-Adults. Fans of the Books Will be Pleased.

As a fan of the books I had to go see the movie. This being my favorite book, I had high hopes for the movie. I wasn't disappointed. It's the best one yet! If you've read the books you know, each one goes up a notch on the sex/nudity, and the violence/gore. It's not too bad though, it fits the PG-13 rating well. The only violence is really at the end, during the breif battle scene, which lasts for only about ten minutes. You see a few vampires riped apart, others you don't see. But they're vampires, so you see no blood or gore, they look like ice or glass when they break. During the movie a few breif times you see the other vampires (The army) feeding on humans. (You see no blood, just them leaning down towards the necks) Edward and Bella share a few passonate kisses. Jacob kisses Bella, but she pulls away and punches his face, breaking her hand. And Bella attempts to suduce Edward and trys to talk him into having sex with her. He agrees, but not for that night. Jacob is, of course, for the entire movie practically, shirtless. And he warms Bella with his body. There are a few innuendos as well. It was overall a really great movie, worth your money, and worth going to see it in the theater! I would go see it again! It's the best movie of the series, and of the summer so far in my opinion! I loved it, and if you've read the books there isn't anything there to surprise you. If you would let your kids read the books, then let them watch the movie, because approriate wise, they are the same.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byStart Strong Ca... July 2, 2010

Start Strong Idaho Campaign for the Third Choice

Oops! The Start Strong Idaho posting went viral before it was completed. Here's the completed post: Start Strong Idaho high school teens rallied at the premiere of Eclipse to let pre-teens and young teens know that Bella should not have been pressured to make a choice between the wolf boy and the vampire boy, that she should have chosen herself. The Start Strong Idaho "Campaign for the Third Choice" asks young people if their choices be defined by or limited to your relationships. One thing is certain, every choice you make defines you. And in a healthy relationship, no one should be pressured to make a choice. The Campaign for the Third Choice encourages teens to own their choices. Define themselves. And imagine their future – and maybe even without a werewolf or vampire boyfriend. Encourage your teen to be a part of the discussion, go to the Eclipse: Campaign for the Third Choice on Facebook and own your choice. And discuss the movie with your pre-teen or teen and help them recognize the characteristics of healthy relationships - what they look like, sound like, and feel like - by talking with your son or daughter about healthy relationships and listening to his or her opinions about the relationships in the movie. As a parent, we should monitor and set limits on the use of technology for young teens and ask his or her opinion about unhealthy relationship messages in popular music, books, video games, television, and movies. l Eclipse offers great teachable moments - should you have to give up your family and friends for a relationship? Should you be pressured to make a choice that will limit your future or define you? Who has the healthier relationship - Bella and Jacob or Bella and Edward and why? When appropriate, express your concern or opinion about the accuracy of the Twilight series books and movies. Pre-teens and young teens learn how to act in relationships from parents,siblings, friends, and the media. Some sources like Eclipse may provide inaccurate,incomplete, or inappropriate information that 11-to-14-year-olds may imitate in their own relationships. As a parent, you should provide reliable and accurate information to your 11-to-14-year-old about healthy relationships: what a healthy relationship feels like, looks like, and sounds like. One of the most effective ways of teaching your child about healthy relationships is to model positive qualities in your own relationships. Even when you think your teen is not listening or watching you, they often are. Start Strong Idaho is part of a national initiative funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation to promote healthy teen relationships as a way to end teen dating abuse.
Parent of a 7, 11, and 13 year old Written bySADC July 6, 2010

A Couple of Problems, but Overall Really Good

This movie has some pretty violent stuff, but if your child is not overly sensitive, it should not be a problem. There is one scene of HEAVY kissing that may make some parents uncomfortable, too. Overall, however, this is a really entertaining movie. It is the best of the three.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bysunnydays4me July 1, 2010

I cannot tell you how appreciative I was when the author had Edward tell Bella that he IS old-fashioned in his values and respect for her. I am a grandmother who took her very wise 10 year old granddaughter to see this movie as she is very into the Twilight series. I am concerned about the "everything goes" attitudes of so many high-schoolers today (my great-nieces). It was SO refreshing to see someone (Edward) that these kids are so taken with express these values. Thank you to the author.
Parent of a 10 and 11 year old Written bychris2400 August 10, 2010

Ok if you talk to the tweens about it

I took my 10 yr old son, 11 yr old daughter and two of her 11 yr old girl friends. The friends were very scared by the violence. They were closing their eyes. My daughter read the book so she knew what to expect. The worst part of the movie for kids is when Bella insists on having sex before marriage. The kissing scene is very intense. She gets on top of him. But in the end Edward tells her he is old fashioned and wants to wait.
Adult Written bylovingwifeandmom July 25, 2010

Really written for adults.

There is no doubt that these books and movies and very well written with a good plot. However, there are some extrememly lustful/passionate scenes that are inappropriate for younger teens. I am really unsure of how they will be able to keep the last movie (Breaking Dawn) within a PG-13 rating. Although the language was very mild, there was some very dark violence, more than the first two movies. Bella and Edward have a very committed relationship, almost to the point of obsessive. I still am concerned how the movies portray vampires as "beautiful and perfect" which could give people a skewd view of self-worth and body image. Again, I loved the books and have loved the movies, however, as a parent/adult, I feel it is not fully appropriate for young children and tweens.
Parent of a 9 and 9 year old Written byVicky81 July 3, 2010

Eclipse, Awesome but not for kids

Loved it. A lot of giggling went on. Action and romance, good combination. I know it's rated PG-13 but I would raise that to 15.
Adult Written byjoshua martinez July 5, 2010

The Twilight Saga: Eclipse is a good movie to watch good for teens the movie does have intense violence and some mild language and there's some brief kissing and more where Bella and Edward where about to have sex but Edward refuses to have sex with Bella.
Parent of a 5 and 12 year old Written byBabygirlJenny May 14, 2010

Perfect for the ENTIRE Family!!!

I love the twilight saga! And a lot of children 11+ are enjoying the amazing, awsome, cool twilight movies.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bybeanajack July 5, 2010

perfect for tweens and older kids also

kids are matureing faster these days my twelve year old daughter read all the books and saw twilight new moon and eclipse and she can't wait for breaking dawn and i alow her to watch and read them.
Parent Written bygenevievecorinne April 8, 2010

ok for kids 13 and older

I haven't really been keeping up on these movies. but I think that they are ok for girls 13 and up. But I would like to see the guys keep their shirts on more.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byMarinewife1024 July 2, 2010

Great movie, funny, romantic, action packed & no bad language or sex

I watched this Wednesday night and LOVED it!! I thought this is actually the most guy friendly of the saga so far with lots of action. As always because this is based on Stephanie Myer's book it is tame enough for most kids with no bad language and very little in the way of sexual situations. There is only one scene in which the two main characters are making out but they don't go far at all. She begins to unbutton his clothes but he stops her. As for violence there is some because these are Vampires and wearwolves after all but nothing really gory. All in all, it was funny, action packed, romantic and gives a good message even when it comes to sex before marriage. Edward refuses to have sex with Bella unless she marries him first. I'm taking my 9 year old to watch it.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byKelly_P June 10, 2010

see the movie before you write a review

Maybe people should actually see the movie before posting a review about it. It doesn't even come out for over 2 weeks. CSM might consider preventing reviews from being posted before movies are released to cut down on junk posting. Go review the book if you feel the need, but you need to see the movie before you can review it!! I didn't even want to give it any stars since I haven't seen it, but the silly submit button won't let me submit without putting a star rating.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byyeraldy12 May 4, 2010

i love it so much i want to see it all day long. but for myself no body else. ????•??????
Parent of a 3, 6, 9, and 12 year old Written byMidnightMom June 30, 2010

Uneasy about letting my younger kids watch this one! But I loved it!

I am a twilight mom. My kids saw the first two with no issues or concerns and they know the entire story and are very familiar with the whole world and they aren't afraid of any aspect of it. But while I watched this movie, I grew very uneasy about my kids watching it. I was sure that it would be fine because I know what happens, but there was a ton more violence in it than the others and even though there is no blood, there is ripping off of limbs, bashing of heads in, although the heads crumble like concrete or plaster would. Lots of broken heads be ready for! Wolves eat vampires and bite them on neck and head and its pretty crazy at times. There are also scenes of the newborns feeding on humans who are screaming and you see them bite their necks. It is a huge jump from the much tamer new moon. I have a 6, 9, and 12 year old who are dying to see it. I am not sure if the 6 and 9 year old are ok to see it. The 12 will be fine. I was also uneasy about a few scenes that bella and edward and also bella and charlie talk about "physical intimacy" and talk about being a virgin. There is making out where taking your clothes off is mentioned, and losing your virtue... So, while that may go over my 6 year olds head or I can cover up some pairs of eyes, words are mentioned that my 9 year old might be interested in going home to google.:) I am unsure at this time about whether I will be taking my two younger kids...my 3 yr old has even see both twilight and new moon without worry, but he definitely wont be watching it. It was 4 times as good as New Moon though, to me, but I still love the fluff and sweetness that Twilight has. More men and boys will like this movie than the prior two.
Parent of a 9, 10, and 11 year old Written byBingip December 5, 2010

11 and up, I learned a lesson

I took my 11 and 10 year old to see this and ( this is bad parenting but alshe was crying) I took my 9 year old. I thought it may not be that bad. I had to cover the eyes of my 9 year old for the battle scene, the volturi scene, the kissing scene( both 9 and 10) and some ear covering because my 11 year old is the only one that knows what sex is. After the movie my 9 year old started to act inappropriate. She said she was going to have sex with a vampire ( she doesn't know what it is) and get married to this week. My 10 and 9 year old had nightmares but my 11 year old was trying to sleep with their screaming. Take the older kids 11 and up but the little kids under should bake cookies or something with their auntie.