Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Velveteen Rabbit

Family film lacks frills but has sweet message for kids.

Parent of a 4 year old Written bygrammar cat November 11, 2009

Very very sad

This is a nice movie, but so sad. My son cried big heaving sobs 2 times that he watched it. His Dad cried with him the second time, so my son felt better, I think! Yes, great animation/mix
Parent of a 1 and 5 year old Written bykyliecportland December 8, 2012

A little too real & sad for an emotional 5-year-old.

I wanted to speak up... it is a sweet story... but my emotional 5-year-old daughter cried for an hour afterward. There is a scene where the mom who had died (not in the film) comes back to the boy in a vision and they have a sweet moment... and then she rides around on a carousel and disappears while he screams for her to come back. This raised a lot of questions for my daughter... she hadn't considered that moms could die before, and she was sad for the boy. Also, the fire scene where the whole woods burn down was quite scary (and she LIKES scary shows - no problem with Beauty & the Beast, etc.), and the part where the bunny almost burned in the fire. Even though all ended well, it was still a little too real & sad for my emotional girl. I wouldn't recommend it if your kids THINK about movies... maybe after age 7. Or find another version.
Parent of a 2 and 3 year old Written bymom2AnE April 1, 2011

Good message, but may be scary for little ones

It may be a little confusing in that it kept going back and forth with reality and imagination. However, the reality scenes are with real people and the imagination ones are animated. There are 2 dramatic scenes involving fire. In both scenes someone is harmed but the viewer doesn't know that the character survives until later. I discussed with my 3 year old how only 'stuff' was burned and not anything truely alive. My child was fine with it, but some children may be disturbed by the scenes.

Parent of a 7 year old Written byDocRon July 16, 2010

Simple animation mixed with an OK live-action story that could produce some anxiety.

I watched this with my 7 year old grandson. He had some questions about why the young child protagonist became ill (from Scarlet Fever, which was BTW, convincingly portrayed). I could tell he was anxious as to whether he could be taken ill with a potentially deadly illness and we stopped the movie and talked to him about it. Other than that, the very simple animation was serviceable but far from Pixar standards. The story is not realistic as people (both the grandmother and the father) completely change their attitudes within the space of days/hours. While teaching a lesson that "loving is what makes us real" it actually has more complex metaphysical issues that it touches on but barely explores. (Do our dreams & fantasies affect our real life?) There is no spiritual/religious component to the movie although parents could makes analogies to spiritual themes. Our 7 year old enjoyed it as he would a fairy tale other than for some trepidation about a boy (his age) nearly dying... both in the real world and his fantasy world. Consider this issue for younger children.

Adult Written byfingly December 31, 2013

Thought provoking

Three generations enjoyed this well produced and acted movie. My six yr old daughter asked appropriate questions about the meaning of the "fire" (as a symbol of death and a fever) but was a bit sad when she realized that the boy's mother had passed away. It was clear that a lot of thoughts were going through her mind after watching this.

Educational Value
Adult Written byFarbrent August 16, 2011

Too scary for little kids.

My 2.5 daughter didn't like it we stopped it because the fire scenes were scary. This is the last time I neglect to check a review before letting her watch something.

Adult Written bycisnero January 4, 2011
well done movie.Acting was good.

Adult Written bybrn2swm September 14, 2013

Saturday evening family movie

Fun movie we all laughed and tried not to cry out loud at the emotional parts I'm sure we will be watching it again. My 6 yr old common sense child help explain to my 8 yr old emotional child that it was okay to cry and explained the good moral values that the movie was telling. I'm not sure if I was going to cry from the movie of my kids conversation. Why can't there be more movies like this that family's can enjoyed together?

Educational Value
Adult Written bybabsboop October 8, 2009

Great for Entire Family

My grandaughter is 3 and it is her favorite movies. I always watch it with her and still love it. Great for the whole family.

Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written bylendter May 8, 2009

Good for ages 4-7

The movie kept my kids watching with the plot and the imagination of the main character. Thye also liked the use of actors and animation.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byHendo H. U December 28, 2017