All parent member reviews for The Village

Adult Written byChuck Reid March 24, 2012

Cool movie!

This movie was epic! The voice acting was great as well as the music! Very good!
Adult Written byDr3w November 7, 2011

Hauntingly Beautiful

There are a few scattered scenes of violence in this film that keep it from a PG rating. One involves a person being brutally stabbed twice with a knife, and there is some blood. The most intense part about this scene is that the character being stabbed is a very likable character and the stabbing is very unexpected. This will probably bother most people quite a bit. It shocked me when I first saw it, and I was fifteen at the time. That said, though parts of this film are intense and scary, there's really not a lot to worry about in the way of content. There is no sex at all. No dialogue. No nudity. No steamy sexual encounters (unless you count some brief kissing which is handled sweetly and innocently). There is no language either. A few people say, "Oh, God!" twice. But they are religious people and they are not cursing. This is not one of M. Night Shymalayan's most popular films, but I thought that it was very good. Bryce Dallas Howard, Joaquin Phoenix, and Adrien Brody are phenomenal! I loved the sweet romance, the chill that ran down my spine in a few scenes, the haunting beauty of the film, and the positive messages that fill it. I'm nineteen years old and this is one of my favorite movies. If you have kids, you might let some of them younger than thirteen see it, if you are willing to fast-forward the one or two violent scenes. It still might be too scary for more sensitive children, but overall not as dark as one might expect.
Parent Written byPlague February 2, 2010

The Village

One of my favorite M. Night Shyamalan movies. Might be too confusing for tweens, but a great movie for older teens and adults.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byS Snape October 25, 2009

it is xtremly dumb thre is no action

i hate it because there is no action and even though it is approprite kids will probably be bored to death by it
Adult Written byfiregirl April 9, 2008

terrible movie

Not worth my time and money to go and watch. Not certain if I would even reccomend it on dvd. Waste of time and good screen space.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Adult Written byForHim April 9, 2008

OK: but the ending was a bust

The movie was pretty good until about 10 - 15 minutes to the end. It ruined the whole movie. But it did show how peope should respect one another. It also showed how one should have good manners. In today's society, it's easy to have a power struggle between men and women; this movie showed how it can work, if men and and women respect each other. However, we're not living in "Leave it to Beaver time." The ending was a real shocker but it also was the demise of the movie.
Adult Written byTealady April 9, 2008

Adult Written byhummer April 9, 2008

Adult Written byba April 9, 2008

Discussion Starter

This was a good way to begin a conversation about social mores and how to deal with them in a violent culture.We all agreed that we do not want to seperate ourselves from society, but from there the answers were more difficult to find.
Adult Written byBlurbie April 9, 2008

eh...

Not all t's cracked up to be! Everybody was raving about this before it came out to Australia! I watched it and was so bored until the ending which surprised me. This movie is not AT ALL scary and so mild that if I were a parent I would take my 5 year old to go see it.
Adult Written byfritzsky April 9, 2008

Adult Written bydudeman123 April 9, 2008

not wut i expected

if you go to blockbuster to rent a scary movie don't even bother to rent this one.I saw this movie expecting to get freaked out but instead i fell asleep.-11 caution
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008