All parent member reviews for The Way, Way Back

Parent Written byCSmediafan July 19, 2013

Must see for 14 and up

This is a very entertaining, well-made coming-of-age movie...enjoyed by kids 14, 17, 18 and my wife and I. It balances the funny with the serious very well. The two fourteen-year-old boys watching with us were riveted (the protagonist is a fourteen year-old boy). I think the movie would have been just as effective if they toned down the "adults behaving badly" aspect, i.e., the sex, drugs and rock and roll were over the top. That is why I would not bring any one younger than 14 (or older than 70...I'm glad my mother wasn't with me).
Parent of a 13 and 16 year old Written byGrisabella July 12, 2013

Best film I've seen for teenagers in so long! Worth the search to find in the theater!

I absolutely loved this movie and saw it with my 16 year old son. There is a teen review on this site that mentions scenes of a suicide attempt, and I wonder if we saw the same movie! Absolutely the kids are having troubles, but they solve it in a way that is much more positive than the parents in their lives. I couldn't help comparing it to summer movies of my teen years like Caddyshack and others. It's that generation of parents in the movie who misbehave but their teenagers who hold it together and find healthier ways to cope. Interesting and hopeful. My one caution is that it is really painful to see Duncan's deep hurt about his parents' divorce. Any child fresh off that experience in their own lives will either connect with the story deeply or find it too hard to watch.
Adult Written bywonder dove October 25, 2013

Summer fun for teens 14+

Pretty good movie. Thought it would be a little more adventurous though, seemed to drag on a bit by the mid-end. The sites rating was a bit misleading though, there is a lot more sexual/sensual content than listed which surprised me. It reminded me of a poorer copy of Adventure Land. Characters seemed too "ditzy" especially the teen girls however it's definitely realistic. We meet shy, boring Duncan (Liam James) who's 14 and doesn't look forward to spending the summer with his mother Pam (Toni Collette) and her "smartass" boyfriend Trent (Steve Carell) at his beach house. But he has no choice. Trent's sister and Duncan's sister are all to themselves yet their next door neighbor Susanna (AnnaSophia Robb) takes a liking to Duncan in a friendly way. Susanna's hyper and upbeat mom (Allison Janney) drinks a lot and isn't afraid to admit it while good friend Joan (Amanda Peet) remains offbeat & a tad unlikable. Then there's cool guy Owen (Sam Rockwell) who's the owner of the Water Wizz Waterpark who becomes a friendly pal to Duncan and shows him how to lighten up. Language has an f-word, sh*t, d*ck, hell, d@mn, @ss, @sshole, some sexual related words, name calling like perv, idiot, cr@p etc. Violence has loud arguments, a man almost hits a boy when another man steps in, lots of jokes about stuff like cancer, killing yourself and beating people up, boy falls off a car hood. Sexual content contains a couple kissing and touching in front of a boy, a passionate kiss when a man says a sexual remark trying to get a boy to leave the room, two teens kiss, two grown women rub up against a boy and dance seductively while one is wearing a bikini top with an open shirt, women make a crude remark when a man is shown in a robe, boy tries to kiss a girl, comment about a rape of a teenager, butt grabbing, lots of sexual remarks and jokes about getting laid, making out, oral sex and more. A teens butt is starred at by men and a boy when she's in a bikini which prolongs on screen for a while. Lots of adult drinking and talking about drinking, a teen sneaks alcohol, some drugs and mentioning of doing drugs, a teen says she would do drugs with her kids...etc. One cigar scene. I'd say it's iffy for 13 so 14/15+ is fair!
Educator and Parent Written bySactown Mom August 15, 2013

Sweet movie, recommended for 12/13 and up

Loved this movie. We took our mature 12 year old and tho she didn't originally want to go, she ended up loving it too. It is very down to earth, sweet and funny. There are episodes of badness - mostly carried out by the adult characters - a couple of swear words, oogling, mild-ish sexual language, a brief scene with pot and people who are high. There are also kid characters who talk back and are defiant to the adults. However the main character's story really keeps you above it. I also liked that the movie provided some good things to talk about afterward.
Adult Written bycrashtx1 August 9, 2013

Very good movie but some issues for kids

My wife, 19 year old daughter, and I saw this and thought it was really well done and very funny. That being said, it does deal with issues that are not younger kid friendly, there is lots of language, and sexual innuendo throughout.
Adult Written byAio August 9, 2013

nice movie, recommended

i liked the movie, it was nice and well spent time watching it, don't know if it can teach modern kids of any value since it's about divorcees and them having good time but overall again movie is about human relationship and maybe hinting to love and respect and nourish the family more than people do in nowadays...