Kid reviews for The Wind Rises

Lovely, contemplative tale of famed aeronautical engineer.

Kid, 11 years old February 23, 2014

ITS A GOOD MOVIE

THIS MOVIE IS FINE BUT... IT HAS SOME REAL EARTHQUYKES. FINE FOR AGES 12+

Teen, 14 years old Written byErufailon4 October 7, 2018

Beautiful but sad story of a man with a dream

When Hayao Miyazaki says he's retiring, it usually just means a particularly good movie before a few years of break. The Wind Rises isn't different.
Unlike many of Studio Ghibli's other movies, this one doesn't have any supernatural objects (apart from the dream world) or creatures. That's why I won't call it "scary", but instead very emotional and quite sad. During the first third of the movie there is a large earthquake that causes buildings to collapse and catch fire. Some people get injured (and many die off-camera, but it's a historically known fact and not shown or implied in the movie). A lot of the second half is centered around the romance between the two main characters; there is some kissing but no sex. One of them has tuberculosis; she is briefly shown coughing blood. Her death is not shown but it's very strongly implied. There are some quite short but upsetting visions of cities being bombed in war. Mild swearing. But there is a lot of smoking (which was normal at the time), even by the main character. Despite that, Jiro can be considered a good role model, as he is always very polite to everyone and works hard to design the planes of his dreams, at the end regretting that he made them for war.
Is the movie good? Yes. It beautifully captures the pre-WWII Japan, its cities, countryside and nature. Pay attention to the colours, especially in the dream world. Although the true beauty is in the scenes where there is no music, only sound effects, the music is fantastic and the end credits song is just lovely. Overall, this film succeeds as a biography, romance, animation and a war movie. "Le vent se lève - Il faut tenter de vivre"; "The Wind Rises - we must live".

Teen, 14 years old Written byElla S April 24, 2018

Pretty movie! Very sad ):

A lot of smoking and an earthquake is about as bad as it gets. Also it may be too long and hard to understand for younger children. For older kids and adults it is beautiful, it has a great story, an all round favourite and like most ghibli films the english dubs are great

Teen, 13 years old Written byLastomniverse August 23, 2017

Amazing

Amazing film with some scenes of war. Also main characters wife coughs up blood and eventually dies(off camera). Sad movie but also great! Also way too much smoking.

Teen, 14 years old Written bymovielover728 November 14, 2016

Worst Ghibli Film

I'm a big fan of Studio Ghibli, but when The Wind Rises came out, I didn't have the chance to watch it. So I got it on DVD from the library. It wasn't until I got it the 3rd time that I watched it all the way through. It's a slow start but around the middle I got into it. Then it slowly went down hill to an upsetting end.

Kid, 12 years old October 6, 2016

SOO SAD!!!

It was a very good movie that made me cry. This should be considered a sad movie, but one character suffers from tuberculosis, and isn't getting much better. SUPER GOOD, BUT GRAB TISSUES!!!

Kid, 11 years old November 9, 2015

Beautiful!

a lovely film.
Teen, 17 years old Written by_____________ August 29, 2015

Kid, 11 years old October 5, 2014
This movie was so good! I love Miyazaki films so much and this was definitely an amazing film. Parents have said that this movie is okay for children six and up, but I disagree. This movie is very sad, and I don't think that small children should be able to see it. (spoiler alert:) The main character's wife is sick, and she coughs up blood once or twice. There is an earth quake, and this movie is very emotional. Although young kids would be able to see it, they would just find it boring. There are scenes of smoking, also. This movie is amazing and good for ages 11 and up.

Kid, 12 years old June 23, 2014
Great. This is one of the best Japanese animated film yet. This is really sad, interesting and heartbreaking, especially the relationship between Jiro and Naoko. It also had some humour. This is Hayao's swan song since this is his last film. I love Frozen, but it's too overrated. This should have won the Oscar.