Parent reviews for The Wolfman

Official monster remake is extra gory -- and a bit flat.

Adult Written byRarityfan October 6, 2018

The Wolfman tuned up

Wolfman of a new generation. Buckets of gore. In consumerism one of the many classic werewolf to have in the DVD and Blu Ray collection.

Adult Written byuniversal05 July 31, 2018

The Wolfman

PG-13

Adult Written byclarence August 6, 2015

Adult Written bywonder dove July 31, 2013

Unexpectedly good!

I enjoyed The Wolfman quite a lot. The first 20 minutes or so is a little slow, not much happens as far as scary action goes. But the actual story itself is very engaging and keeps you watching. Scariness on scale of 1-10 (10 being highest) would be a 4 for me. I'm not even sure I'd call it a horror really, but it's a nice suspenseful film with a great cast! Could pretty much pass for a PG-13 in my opinion. Language is very mild and not a concern. Violence has a good amount of gore, slicing people, chasings, gunshots, scary werewolf transformations, people in pain, a man throws his beer in another mans face. Sexual content is mild with some flirting, you hear the word "whore" more than once, and one kissing scene between two adults falling in love. There's some drinking (a character gets drunk) at a pub and background smoking. Excellent film I'd definitely watch it again. Fine for the 14+ crowd.

Adult Written bydarthsitkur August 20, 2012

i still wanna see this

the trailer was badass, and to be honest, it looks more like a crazy, bloody, gory, and hardcore action thriller than a horror movie
Parent of a 14-year-old Written bytitianmom January 2, 2011

Not for kids, very mature teens with good stomachs and adults only

The movie was better than the critics said it was IMO. Given that...

As a parent I wouldn't want my daughter to see it before she's older, because of the gore factor. We're not into that sort of thing.
But the topic of the movie is a werewolf, so some killing is to be expected. However, some of it was a bit gratuitous IMHO. Panning meadows to show body parts, for ex; it's 2010 and leaving things to the imagination is a forgotten art for Hollywood, unfortunately.

The story I believe was actually a good retelling of the original 40s B classic, with more emphasis on dad than on son. However, they needed to spend more time developing the characters. And they needed to work on del Toro's character the most, since he's the one with the difficult past. There was so much they could have done to develop the character to build a connection with the audience!

The period atmosphere and costumes were top notch, and the transformation into the werewolf was one of the best IMO.
Horror is a genre that needs to have a point to it other than scare, and altho the movie tried to bring the point out, that there's a fine line between animal and man, they used the wrong person to do it--the dad. Overall an "okay" movie.

Parent Written byPlague December 7, 2010

The Wolfman

The movie itself it all around ok as far as movie remakes go. It can get a bit predictable at times, but teens and adults wont have any trouble watching this movie.
Adult Written by2Simple October 30, 2010

Not as bad as most people say...

As far as a scary movie is concerned, The Wolfman is pretty good. It delivers scares and chills many times. However, it is an easy movie to forget and as soon as you leave the theater, the scares are over. Personally, I like movies that stay with you for days after leaving the cinema.

Adult Written bykhan2705 October 26, 2010

Dark, visually appealing, suffers from bad screenplay.

The performances in the movie were absolutely fantastic. Benicio Del Toro, Anthony Hopkins, Hugo Weaving, and Emily Blunt all delivered and really brought their characters to life. It's always good to have great performances in a horror/action film. Everything seems genuine and all of the characters are very engaging. The set pieces and cinematography are all beautifully created. There's a lot of eye candy in this film just as far as the sets are concerned, and I really love the atmosphere this film created. The music is also pretty unique and memorable. I rarely comment on the score of a film, but this one really had some great music. Some other things that impressed me were the action sequences and the 'kills'. The action sequences are pretty exciting and they'll keep you at the edge of your seat. Just when you think it's safe... something crazy happens and mayhem ensues. The 'kills' are also pretty awesome. The werewolf in this film is pretty insane, so expect to see a lot of blood, gore, and human body parts flying around all over the place. The violence, along with the dark atmosphere, really gave a suspenseful experience. Overall, The Wolfman is a fun horror/action film. The acting is great, the sets and visuals are awesome, and the action sequences are pretty cool. There are also some pretty nice kills in this one for all of you blood/gore fans. While the film can be fun, the plot suffers from the film's inconsistent pacing, which eventually leaves some plot holes. Trust me, the trailer makes this flick seem a lot cooler than it actually is. Just eat your popcorn and leave your mind at home...it's just brainless fun. it was ofcourse visually appealing but the movie itself was not that great. could have been much better. i don't have any problem with the slow movement of the film but the screenplay.

Adult Written byMovieMan26 October 11, 2010

Better than I expected, but still no instant classic

This decent horror remake hase a few moderate scares and some pretty vicious gory scenes. The acting wasn't bad, but definitely not the best. Parents: The gore level of this movie was pretty extreme, with blood, gore, and guts. There are disturbing images of torture, transformation, and murder. Bottom Line: Not bad if you want a good scare or two, but, overall, there are better gory horror movies. Thanks for reading! - Movie Man

Parent of a 17-year-old Written bybite July 16, 2010
nutin a mature 10 year old cant handel 1 d-word violence is bad but thats all plot is very good
i

lence

Parent of a 9, 12, 13, 16, and 18+-year-old Written byMovieadviceguru July 4, 2010

Gore Fest

I was dying to see this movie when it came out into theaters, but i never got a chance. My parents felt bad and decided to rent it so we could watch it as a family. I was fine with it, but I've seen very gory movies and tv shows before so it wasn't anything new. I am also a horror lover, which makes a huge difference. I was greatly disappointed by this movie though. The story line was thin, and it the plot fell flat. The wolfmen slice their way through countless victims, while we have to watch. You see body ripped to pieces, blood, and guts flying everywhere, and you see many, many disturbing images. You see a man killed because a fence (With many pointy sticks) goes all the way through him, you see the wolfman take out someone's heart and stand there with it in his mouth with blood everywhere for like 60 seconds. You see bodies ripped in half lying on the ground with their insides lying around them, and that's just the beginning. The images are very disturbing, but they don't last the whole movie. You're glad when it gets to the next day, when they are people again, because that's the only time it's not a nonstop gore fest. It was worth watching, I did enjoy to an extent. But I think kids need to stay away. None of my friends would have been able ot handle it, that's for sure. Adults may enjoy it, older teens would be okay, but make sure you know your kid, how mature they are, and if they won't come running to your bed in the middle of the night because of nightmares. It's more gory than scary, but it's very, very gory.

Parent Written byStepMomSterToo July 1, 2010
This new take on werewolves is fairly predictable. The acting is what really saves the movie. All the actors do a good job of getting viewers to look past the obvious plot line to enjoy the characters. There is nothing to make this a kids or teen movie. I can see older teens enjoying this movie, but honestly it is rated R for a reason. The movie has realistic gore that just is not necessary for tweens and young teens. Tons of blood, tons of violence. I like this movie, because I am a horror fan. I said on for 17 and up, because at age 17 you are allowed to purchase movie tickets for Rated R movies.

Adult Written byjoshua martinez June 22, 2010
the wolfman is an average movie good for your older teens but parents this movie is extremely bloody and gory human body parts are being cut off and full of blood spilling everywhere there's some drinking and smoking in a bar scene.

Adult Written bycrackerjack5 May 30, 2010

Much better than most reviewers say!

I'm a big fan of horror movies, and was surprised at the bad reviews "Wolfman" got. It was not a terrible movie at all! The acting was decent, the special effects were nice, and there were a couple of nice scares. The atmosphere alone was creepily fantastic!

It's not a classic, and it will probably be soon forgotten, which is a shame, since it is one of the better horror movies that came out this year. Not to be missed by anyone who loves a good scare or two!

Adult Written bywoodsyearthmama February 27, 2010

Late teens and Adults!

Great movie for adults...I couldn't believe I saw a man taking an eight year old girl to see this. It is violent and gory!

Adult Written bySamtian February 23, 2010

e.g. Perfect for adults or those who love gore.

I ended up leaving the movie, because our theater was so loud. It was way way gory. I did not like how some places reviewed it and failed to mention the partial nudity of a characters breasts, no nipple is shown but you get a good view. There were intense jump moments. I just didn't get into it, but that could have been because of how loud it was.

Parent of a 7, 13, and 14-year-old Written byfive5ofhearts5 February 21, 2010

waste of an afternoon

I saw this movie with free tickets and still felt gipped; it was definitely not worth my time. The only positives were lack of cursing, no sc, and a certain LOTR actor.

Adult Written byMrs.S February 19, 2010

Wouldn't take anyone under 16 or 17 to see it. Deserved the R rating.

This movie had a good story line, but the vast amount of fear, violence and gore overscored most of the rest of the show. Several truly scary parts, inaccurate portrayal of a mental hospital, and gruesome images involved.

Adult Written bystacymavros February 19, 2010

Skip the theater...maybe worth a rent but be prepared for gore--not a very good movie.

I had higher hopes for this movie considering the amazing actors involved...but it was a fairly boring gore fest...disappointing...more storyline would have served viewers better and the blood/gore was too much.