Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Wolverine

Thrilling, action-packed adventure treads dark waters.

Parent of a 11 year old Written byFuture Critic 66 July 26, 2013

The Wolverine: Not Suitable for chikdren 14 and under

I went to the midnight screening. I am not a follower any comic books, but I enjoy the comic book movies. I have enjoyed the past X-Men films because they do offer an escape from the real world and are meant to be entertaining. If people like a great action film with a decent plot they will not be disappointed with "The Wolverine." The action is great and the story is entertaining. The review of the films content is correct. Not for children under the age of 14.

Adult Written byslasher23 August 16, 2014
Adult Written byMasambo January 31, 2016

More expletives than stated.

Great film for adults but frightening for younger viewers. Rating on reverse of DVD states moderate action violence. I would say strong violence content, it's wolverine for heavens sake! Also states one use of strong language but as well as one F word, s##t used often and also a##e hole.

Parent of a 1, 2, 4, 6, and 14 year old Written bySuperherofan May 18, 2014

Too violent.

Lots of violent scenes, And language.

Written byAnonymous June 20, 2015

Parent Written byDan G. August 16, 2013

Too much objectionable material for children

Mildly entertaining for adults, but loaded with too much serious and obejctionable material for children. The violence is almost non-stop, some of it bloody, there are suicides, sex between unmarried people, some nudity, and crude language. The main character is morally adrift, and the human life of others is not important to him, unless he likes them.

Adult Written bysarge123 February 4, 2015
Adult Written byErenJaeger October 29, 2015
Adult Written byartist April 18, 2015

Dark and brutal. 15+

Parent of a 9 year old Written byGreyhoundgrizzle September 6, 2013

Not for some kids, just too much blood

the movie was going ok until a scene where Wolverine sticks his hand inside his chest--too realistic with lots of blood and my 9 year old got quesy, almost passed out, and then threw up in the hallway of theater from the sight of the blood---this has NEVER happened before and I would say his tolerance for violence etc is high for a kid his age, but this movie was too much for us...

Adult Written byBestPicture1996 February 25, 2014

Jackman once again anchors the X-Men

Compared to the rest of the almost too action packed X-Men predecessors, this installment definitely had more dramatic, subtle shades in it; the Japanese backdrop I'm sure didn't hurt. Jackman was surely born to play his antihero Wolverine, and the rest of the cast is fine, except for the Russian actress who played Viper, who, for my money, lacked bite that a villain like her should've had. Otherwise, great action, a solid story that probably has comic book connections I don't know about, and an exciting cliffhanger for "Days of Future Past!"

Adult Written byThat Therapist Guy August 31, 2013

Wolverine-Language

THe use of BALLS is in the movie rights at the start. Commonsense missed this. So just a heads up.

Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byValerie S. October 21, 2016

Too Violent

I am a big fan of the X-Men series although we have not allowed our children to watch these films yet. I actually walked out of Wolverine because of the violence. I felt that the fights were too graphic and it was non-stop. I feel that a movie can be great without having to show this much brutality.

Adult Written byarjuman July 29, 2013

MUST SEE!

This is a great movie and a lot better than I thought it would be, for some of the parts you need to have watched the last 3 X-Men movies to understand and it kind of had a twist at the end.

Adult Written byjoshua martinez August 1, 2013

14 and up.

this other next sequel the wolverine is an awesome action/adventure film based on the other wolverine movies including the x-men movie franchise overall this movie is good enough for your young teen fans of wolverine to enjoy but parents this wolverine movie has a lot of intense violence throughout the movie the character wolverine uses some mild strong language but not constant and there is some social drinking in one scene which takes place in the bar when wolverine walks in.

Adult Written byadellec February 17, 2016

I use it all the time

Great program.
Parent of a 11 year old Written by[email protected] March 14, 2019

Hell No

There Extremity strong language like lots of uses of F**k and one use of C**t and damn Sh*t Hell ass several uses A**hole

Parent of a 10 year old Written byKidcritic.com December 21, 2018

Great standalone! But more inappropriate and violent

Great! Since X-Men Origins: Wolverine wasn't really successful, and some of the things didn't make sense, the creator deiced to give a Wolverine film another shot and forget the last one. I accually thought that film wasn't bad. But I'm doing a review on The Wolverine, not that film. It's a great film, it's still pretty intense like the last. And this time more inappropriate. Nudity and Sexual Stuff: A man is given a bath, he is fully nude. Although we only see a brief shot of his upper butt and a brief shot of the line down to his frontal nudity (that one is barley seen). Later in the film, a man walks in a hotel room and he sees two women in just their bras and underwear. We also see a man in his underwear shirtless. We see them take of their pants and get drinks for a minute, then the man that walked in yells at them to get out. We see them kiss for about 3 seconds only, and not close up. Then they do what the man says and get out. We only see them for about a minute. There also is some passionate kissing that is brief. And I don't know if this would be in the rating at all, or as "Brief Pervasive Conent". But a man says "we were meant to be together" then kisses his daughter on the lips. And not how you'd kiss your daughter. But this doesn't get sexual and it's brief because she stops him. There are a bit of disturbing and bloody images too. The language includes: 1 clear use of Go Fu*k Yourself, 1 use of ba*tard, 3 uses of a*s 2 of which are a*shole, several uses of h*ll, 3 uses of bi*ch, and 4-5 uses of sh*t. My MPAA rating is: PG-13 for intense sequences of violence and action, brief strong language, thematic material, brief partial nudity, some disturbing and bloody images, and for brief sexuality including brief sexual content. And surprisingly, there is no smoking in this film. So great standalone Wolverine film, that is fine for tweens 12ish+! Oh AND!-The post-credit scene is very important to the next film-Days Of Furture Past! Hope this helps!

Adult Written byArt C. October 25, 2018

basically a less violent prelude to Logan

It's an interesting film, it almost starts with a prelude to graphic scenes for Logan (2017) the film contains some blood scenes but not very shocking and some things related to sexual content. If we talk about Wolverine we have to wait for a more mature content, by the history in the hq's

Adult Written byJasonG2018 September 13, 2018

Extremely violent for comic book-movie

First of all, the drama, scenes, and story was good. Special effects and camera angles were great, no doubt about it. But this movie is based off the X-Men comic books and movie series, and kids expect to go see it. I think the movie should have been rated R, to be honest. This X-Men-type movie had the most blood, with scenes of people being ran through with swords and claws. Logan (Wolverine) is shot several times and we see the bullet wounds, he cuts open his own abdomen to reach in and pull out a leech on his physical heart, he is shot with over a dozen arrows in one scene, his face is cut open several times, and a Samurai sword is run through his chest. Very bloody, tons of violence.