All parent member reviews for There Will Be Blood

Adult Written byAdam Razak November 7, 2008

Doesn't Really Deserve the R-Rating, But It's Still A Brilliant Film

I honestly think There Will Be Blood should've been rated PG-13. There isn't really that much graphic violence in it, due to some swift editing. There is blood and violence, but 14 year old teens and up shouldn't have a problem with it. This isn't a movie for everybody though. It requires patience and close attention to detail, and I believe most 14 year olds will lose interest after the first 15 minutes. I, on the other hand, thought it was a brilliant film. I will keep this review short, but I must say one thing. Daniel Day-Lewis brings his A+ game to this film.
Adult Written byjpoct2 April 9, 2008

Bad movie but very appropriate.

This film is very slow but really has not enough violence really to make it R.There are only 4 deaths and 2 of which are accidents and accidents happen.This didn't send a good message but not really a bad one either.
Adult Written byActionAndyJ1815 October 18, 2010

Good for kids about to get involved in the economy and world at large

The film shows the struggles and moral issues brought up when creating and maintaining a successful corporation/company. It also shows how the stresses of setting up a large business can twist and turn someone into a monster (or a bigger one, depending on your impression of the protagonist). The role and power of religious leaders is also discussed. Pretty much, the film is a criticism of what relatively unregulated capitalism can, but not necessarily, bring, as well as what delusions of power can do to a person (specifically, financial and religious power). There does happen to be a bit of drinking and some violence within the movie, as well as tobacco use. Staunch conservatives and capitalists would also want to avoid this movie due to it's plot and themes, seeing it's based on the work of a socialist.
Adult Written byjacked April 9, 2008

Parent of a 1, 8, 9, and 14 year old Written bythejokerspencil January 28, 2009

Smart Film gets boring

Adult Written byREDSOX101 July 21, 2009

Quite Possibly The Greatest Movie Ever!

Paul Thomas Anderson (Boogie Nights, Magnolia) directs this epic American movie about a man named Daniel Plainview, played by Daniel Day Lewis in probably the greatest acting performance ever given. Plainview is an oil man who goes out to seek land to buy, and to drill on. He is told about land that has oil. So he goes out to the land and thats when he meets Eli, played by Paul Dano. Right when he meets Eli thats when the mental battle begins. There Will Be Blood is a great movie about greed, religion, vengence, and alchoholism. There Will Be Greed. There Will Be Vengence. There Will Be Blood. P.S. I... Drink... Your... MILKSHAKE!!! SLURP! I DRINK IT UP!!!
Adult Written bySHollister September 9, 2010

Dark & Pointless

If you are a glass is half empty kind of person, this is the film for you! Yes, it is filmed & acted well, but so what? It's just another (although somewhat interesting in its method) mainstream plug against evil capitalism & christianity. Dark, somber, pathetic. It started off with promise, which is why I kept watching & hoping it would get better. It didn't. I found little memorable about it except the ridiculously violent ending and a sadness in my soul that there are people in the world that view the world through this kind of lens. This movie adds nothing worthwhile to the world.
Adult Written bycritic sense November 4, 2012

Recommended Rating: 14+ for moderate violence, disturbing scenes and language

This historical drama builds tension as it goes on and although not very violent, there are a few scenes that may be too unsettling for younger viewers. The last scene in particular is disturbing and brutal. Although not graphic, it depicts a man beating another man in the head with a bowling pin until he dies and lies in a pool of blood. There is some occasional use of moderate language, especially in one scene. Characters drink alcohol and smoke cigars in several scenes.
Adult Written bymartin.myles April 9, 2008

An American classic

This story ranks alongside the work of Steinbeck, Melville and Hawthorne: strong, blatant symbolism, basic moral concepts vividly brought to life, against a backdrop of the Frontier times during which a version of the American spirit was founded. Not suitable for children - they wouldn't like it or understand it. Only suitable for teens as they discover these themes. Violence: a couple brutal accidents with bone crunching sound effects, and a bloody beating - there again, the sound effects are more disturbing than the visuals.
Parent Written bythenoah March 17, 2013

Maybe the Greatest Film Ever Made

There Will Be Blood is an american masterpiece, rivaling movies like 2001: A Space Odyssey and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Day-Lewis is excellent as usual. The film is dark, depressing, and sometimes disturbing, and there is a bit of violence. It should be rated PG-13, but I think anyone twelve or thirteen and under, while they can handle the violence, will not appreciate it as a cinematic masterpiece. 10/10
Adult Written bybporter28 April 9, 2008

An Instant Masterpiece of American Cinema....

Paul Thomas Anderson is becoming one of the finest directors of our time. There Will Be Blood canters around Daniel Plainview, an oil prospector. The film is an instant classic and by far Best Picture of the year, and possibly of the decade...An instant classic of new American cinema as we know it.
Adult Written byjrtpurple April 9, 2008

Adult Written byjamiesopinion April 9, 2008

I left feeling somewhat sick and disappointed

I guess with this type of movie I was hoping for a little more than what was given. The story line wasn't that great I thought, unless that was part of the depiction the director was going for. I felt as if I wasted my time going to watch this movie. Maybe you might enjoy it?
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 February 3, 2015

P.T. Anderson film has a timeless feel to it

I'm not sure what it was but the aesthetic of "There Will Be Blood" really made me feel like it could've been filmed in any time past the 80s. It's a period piece regarding oil tycoon Daniel Plainview, Daniel Day-Lewis, speaking in a truly inimitable accent, who is completely corrupted by power and greed. Some moments were so intense and dramatic I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry, especially Plainview's first fight with Paul Dano's Eli in the mud. Plainview's an absolute lunatic, and you can't help being fascinated with him. This movie's been called one of the best of all time, and I didn't love it that much, but there are so many great elements to admire I can see why the Academy and critics in general went nuts over it. Compared to "Boogie Nights," "Magnolia" and even "Punch-Drunk Love," it felt like the furthest from Anderson's style, which usually involves a large cast of colorful weirdoes. Here it's just two weirdos, and Paul Dano is dazzlingly bizarre as Eli, a preacher with a sinister side to him. The cinematography is outstanding, the costumes perfect, the music fantastic and appropriate to the scenes despite some left field choices. For me it chugged a little slow, and I'm definitely not opposed to slow-moving dramas. But if you want to see why Daniel Day Lewis won the Oscar in three minutes or less, just YouTube his milkshake scene. It's a hybrid of terrifying meets hilarious, and no one could pull it off like Mr. Triple Oscars himself. Content-wise, there's a few bad words tossed around, mostly it earns its R-ratings with the fights Plainview gets in, but movie buff early teens should be a fine audience.
Adult Written bybroadwaybaby April 9, 2008

This was brilliance, but it was that type of brilliance that you...