Kid reviews for They Live

They Live Poster Image

Based on 1 review

not scary but super violent

this movie isn't scary at all its just that its super violent. if you don't like you're child seeing violence, keep them away from this movie for a while. but if you're fine with gun fights and fist fights, its just fine for 11 year olds. very little blood is shown, when people are shot, blood is splattered on the wall behind them, but very little blood. the very last scene is a woman and her boyfriend who (spoiler) is an alien having sex. but other than that, its pretty tame

A little violent but okay.

There are gun shootouts, fist fights and more but it's not gory or bloody at all. The only times when it is bloody the film has a black and white filter so you really can't tell. there are uses of f**k, b**ch and s**t, but no further than that HOWEVER... There is a sex scene, female nudity from the waist up and male nudity from waist up.

A very unique alien invasion movie, with some interesting subliminals.

They Live is an interesting take on an alien invasion. Oppose to witnessing the invasion process, we learn (minor spoilers ahead) that aliens have for some time been living among us and essentially controlling us. Its unique and interesting, and definitely on the "better side" of Carpenters films - its only held down by a few flaws, mostly revolving around the logic. Don't be fooled by the "R" rating - its not that bad. Theres a little blood, some shooting, some swearing, and a brief scene with nudity. In other words, today it would probably be a "PG-13" movie.

A True Alien Horror Masterpiece

This is one of my favorite alien horror movies I've ever watched, and yet again John Carpenter never ceases to amaze me and get me lost in the story with the plot and characters. Truly a classic to be reckoned with. So far as content, language including hell, f--k, s--t, bitch and damn which are all used infrequently, but more so of f--k. There is one sex scene, which is also the last scene of the movie where a woman's bare breasts are seen for about 5 or 6 seconds, and there's an alien boy in bed with her, implying sex. Expect lots and lots of violence, but I mean, it is a horror movie, so yeah. Lots of shootings of aliens, not very gory and sometimes seen from the black and white perspective of the sunglasses, but there is blood and two main characters get killed, and at the end, it's kind of implied that the main character dies, cause he gets shot in the back and the building is on fire. But movie-wise, excellent movie, one of my favorite horror movies I've probably ever watched, 11-12+ for the scene of nudity, strong language and some violence.

A Unique Mixture of Politics and Aliens

They Live is a 1988 thriller directed by the cultish John Carpenter. They Live tells the tale of a drifter looking for a job in Los Angeles where he accidentally stumbles across a strange group gathering at an old church. Later that night the entire place was raided and confiscated, all except a hidden box of sunglasses which the drifter found earlier on. His curiosity getting the better of him, he puts a pair on to see a horrifying truth that planet Earth has been taken over secretly by a race of aliens which appears similar to us in physical appearances, all except for the skinned look they have underneath their disguises. It was then when it dawned on the drifter after accidentally stirring up attention that something needed to be done and began rebelling violently. While They Live is a fun Carpenter flick, it's certainly not my favorite out of all the ones I've seen, however, that doesn't mean it's a poor film. By any means the movie is enjoyable and is always worth a watch. They Live provides a very interesting twist to the classic alien overlords idea, comprising of subliminal messages hidden in our consumerism and by having the humans slowly fall down the social structure as the disguised aliens gradually take power instead. They Live also gave birth to probably one of the most iconic one-liners in video game history as well as providing a unique political satire in itself. They Live all in all is certainly worth a watch if you want to see a thriller that doesn't take itself too seriously. Out of all Carpenter films, I have to admit, this has probably the most cursing, tons of F-bombs but if you can handle that then you're good for the most part. Generally there's just average gunshot wounds -occasionally a splattery one- when it comes to violence, but there's actually a prolonged fight scene halfway through the film which is actually pretty brutal, but at the same time it feels rather comical (or at least in my opinion). The only real concerning scene in the entire movie is at the very end there's a sex scene of a sort, but basically full breasts are shown to the screen but the sequence last like half a minute and it's the very very last scene before the credits kick in.

Light R

They Live is a campy and cheesy film. The only reason I'd say its rated R is because of the language and brief sex scene with nudity. If your child plays Call of Duty or has scene a PG-13 film, they'll be fine. There is nudity at the end though so just tell them to ignore it of you don't want them seeing it. Suggested MPAA rating: R for Violence, Language, and for a brief scene of sexuality/nudity