All parent member reviews for Thor

Adult Written byinthebestinterests April 22, 2011

Perfect for double digits children and adults.

Action packed film with plenty of special effects. Some scenes would be frightening for young children (huge monster, evil looking ice people, firey robot) and there is much violence (battle scenes and pedestrian/car collision). A great film, but for those seasoned in action film.
Adult Written bybabatopenot May 9, 2011

Sexual content missed by reviewers

Alright, there is just one thing I want to let people about this movie. In one scene where Thor is speaking with another guy at a counter in a bar, there is a suggestively posed colored nude female torso on the wall in the background behind them. The camera is focused on the speakers so it is blurred enough that a lot of people probably won’t even notice what it is, but it is also clear enough that I noticed it the first time I saw the movie and it made me uncomfortable. All the movie review sites I have been to seem to have missed it but I think it definitely deserves a mention. I know that in a lot of PG-13 movies this would probably seem like nothing, but Thor is a pretty clean movie otherwise and will probably attract a more conservative crowd who very possibly would be bothered by this.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bySeekingTruth May 9, 2011

Shame on Paramount Pictures and the Director

Since when is inappropriate language acceptable at 13+? My son loves Thor and have been waiting months for it to come to theaters. Why is it necessary to have language of that sort in a movie for children? My son is not exposed to it in the home and its irresponsible for me as a parent to allow it to be in his hearing. Not a sermon, just a thought.
Parent Written byStarrgirl May 6, 2011

Loved this move and it was excellent for my 7 year old. Yes there are battles, but little or no blood. It's Thor, of course he is going to do battle. I like this movie for it's story. A good story for a 7 year old about Thor's bad self centered choices and how his father teaches him a lesson and brings out the good person that Thor is on the inside. Take your kids!
Adult Written byPirogue May 13, 2011

Non-gory Violence, but Good Messages

I took my 10-year-old son to this movie before reading the reviews (my wife said she read some reviews and it was okay), and if I would have read the reviews before the movie, I might not have taken my son. There is a lot of violence, but none of it seems to be gory, and none is realistic. Even though this is an action movie and it is not meant to be complicated, it is a bit too complicated for many 10-12-year-olds to comprehend. There are some plot twists, but mostly, there are a number of lesser characters that keep popping up, and the number of characters may be confusing to some. It is not a must-see movie, and if you don't let your child watch violence, stay clear of this one. I notice that Common Sense Media links this movie to Iron Man, The Dark Knight, and Spider-Man. I would not let my 10-year-old watch any of those movies (maybe the first Spider-Man), but this one was okay. Almost on the line, though.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byajdupre May 14, 2011

okay for kids

great movie brought our 6 year old who loves comics..... he was so into the movie he didn't say a word the whole time... the movie was the best i've seen in a long ... besides some drinking and a few cuse words it was a good family movie
Parent Written bySteve S. May 6, 2011

OK for older tweens who like lots of action and explosions and don't mind stiff dialog, hammy acting, and a silly script

It's a very by-the-books redo of aThor comic book adventure with a little Shakespeare and a little (very little) humor mixed in. Natalie Portman is terrible in this film but all of the other actors are passable in their cliche'd roles. There is some crude language, but it's in very small doses and would go unnoticed by the average 12-year-old who hears it all at school anyway. There is a lot of violence but almost all of it is against monsters and very little/no blood. Weapons of choice in this movie are swords, hammers, and fire by the way. It's basically an action adventure with stiff dialogue and very clear good guys and bad guys, just perfect for tween/teen boys.
Adult Written byMelyssaRave May 17, 2011

Great movie; Good for ages 10+

I loved this movie, and I think it's great for ages 10+. Consumerism isn't that apparent, with product placement for a cereal and some things in the background. Thor is part of Marvel's movie arc, so of course they're going to mention Iron Man. Two other Marvel characters also make an appearance. The battle scenes weren't bloody at all, but could be intense for younger kids. One family did have to take their child out of the theater - the kid looked to be about 5. If your kid gets scared easy by monsters or battle scenes, don't see this. That being said, the role models were great - Jane, the scientist, won't back down on her beliefs and is strong in her convictions; Odin, Thor's father, is a just ruler, who wants peace for his realm and wants Thor to be the best ruler he can be. Thor starts off the movie as an arrogant prince, akin to the star football player of Asgard. Through the movie he learns to be selfless and wise. There's only one scene where drinking is prevalent (it's only on the side in the Asgard scenes) and a scientist is shown drunk, with Thor having to carry him back to his house. There were only minor curse words, and nothing big like the S or F words. There was one long kiss and comments on Thor's physique. It's a great movie, and was amazing in 3D. If you plan on seeing any of the other movies Marvel Studios is putting out within the next couple of years (Captain America; Avengers; etc) stay after the credits for Thor!
Parent of a 17 year old Written byMrsQuiet May 10, 2011

OK for kids who won't be overwhelmed by the violence

Really enjoyed the movie. No nudity or bad language. Compelling story with a good message. Caution for children who might be frightened or distressed by family betrayal, loss, and violence.
Parent of a 7, 10, and 13 year old Written byIlsa May 19, 2011

Finally, something I can take all of the kids to see

Fun movie. Sex and cursing were refreshingly absent. Great hero figure. If you let your kids watch Star Wars, take them to this.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byTonyJ42 June 7, 2011

Thor

Took my almost 7-year old to see this with his 7-year old friend. Violence is comic book violence: no blood, frost giants smash to pieces, nothing he hasn't seen in cartoons. No bad language that I can remember. Nothing too intense for kids that already watch action/comic book movies and tv shows. And we enjoyed the movie!
Adult Written byJosé Pedro July 21, 2011

Fair...

I think is a bad movie… Bad special effects, fair story… Characters are not well rolled… The end is unexpected, in bad way. I think Thor is very disappointing the only positive point is the comic side of the movie. Is a fun movie, sometimes, but not good. Thor, appears many times with small clothes and his body is appreciated by female characters, is a point of sexuality. The movie has some violence but is on for kids with 6 years old.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bypud9bri May 18, 2011

Fun for almost the whole family! You should see this!

A positive experience, and just plain fun! All content is fairly mild for a PG-13 movie. I would feel comfortable with a 10 year-old watching this easily. There are some intense fighting scenes here and there, but no blood. There is also very little cursing for a PG-13 movie as well.
Adult Written byacary May 9, 2011

A fun movie!!!

This was a very fun movie. No swearing or anything inappropreiate for younger kids 8 and up. Once again Marvel does a great job giving us a fun superhero movie. The villians in this movie can be a little scary even for an 8yr old but its not so scary they would get nightmares from it. I can't wait for it to come out on dvd so I can let my kids who are 9 and 11 watch it.
Adult Written bybdh June 11, 2011

your regular fun movie

fine fun entertaining movie
Parent of a 9, 11, and 16 year old Written byYes I am TOO cool May 20, 2011

Good family fun

A little violence, but mostly of the comic book variety that you would expect. It was nice to have a movie devoid of foul language and over sexualization (other than one scene of Thor shirtless, and seeing as Moms and daughters have to put up with skimpy, trashy females, I think we've more than earned that one, thank you). The love story of the movie was a little lame, but all in all, good family entertainment.
Parent Written byDasGinatron November 6, 2011

The hammer of Thor reviews you....

Thor is a decent movie. The comics are better, though. They put good effort into making this an appropriate movie for most ages, and succeeded. Young kids, not so much, but preteens entering their teen years would be more than okay viewing this film!
Educator and Parent Written byfocusing October 7, 2011

A great message

It was an action packed movie with a moral message. There are some scary characters that are evil forces. Younger children would be tramatized.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byOldSchooler May 12, 2011

An Old Schooler's opinion

Loved the movie. After reading the reviews from this site, I took my 11 year old daughter to see it. I was pleased with the results. Nothing that I was uncomfortable with. Pretty clean as far as language and no sexual content compared to some of the other Marvel films.
Parent Written byusfood351 August 3, 2011

Great movies

I saw this movie last month. IT WAS SO AWESOME!! I must say, it was probably the best action movie I have ever seen. Even though I'm not into the whole super hero/Marvel thing, I actually enjoyed it with this movie.