All parent member reviews for Thor

Parent of a 8 year old Written bySeekingTruth May 9, 2011

Shame on Paramount Pictures and the Director

Since when is inappropriate language acceptable at 13+? My son loves Thor and have been waiting months for it to come to theaters. Why is it necessary to have language of that sort in a movie for children? My son is not exposed to it in the home and its irresponsible for me as a parent to allow it to be in his hearing. Not a sermon, just a thought.
Adult Written byinthebestinterests April 22, 2011

Perfect for double digits children and adults.

Action packed film with plenty of special effects. Some scenes would be frightening for young children (huge monster, evil looking ice people, firey robot) and there is much violence (battle scenes and pedestrian/car collision). A great film, but for those seasoned in action film.
Adult Written bybabatopenot May 9, 2011

Sexual content missed by reviewers

Alright, there is just one thing I want to let people about this movie. In one scene where Thor is speaking with another guy at a counter in a bar, there is a suggestively posed colored nude female torso on the wall in the background behind them. The camera is focused on the speakers so it is blurred enough that a lot of people probably won’t even notice what it is, but it is also clear enough that I noticed it the first time I saw the movie and it made me uncomfortable. All the movie review sites I have been to seem to have missed it but I think it definitely deserves a mention. I know that in a lot of PG-13 movies this would probably seem like nothing, but Thor is a pretty clean movie otherwise and will probably attract a more conservative crowd who very possibly would be bothered by this.
Adult Written byPirogue May 13, 2011

Non-gory Violence, but Good Messages

I took my 10-year-old son to this movie before reading the reviews (my wife said she read some reviews and it was okay), and if I would have read the reviews before the movie, I might not have taken my son. There is a lot of violence, but none of it seems to be gory, and none is realistic. Even though this is an action movie and it is not meant to be complicated, it is a bit too complicated for many 10-12-year-olds to comprehend. There are some plot twists, but mostly, there are a number of lesser characters that keep popping up, and the number of characters may be confusing to some. It is not a must-see movie, and if you don't let your child watch violence, stay clear of this one. I notice that Common Sense Media links this movie to Iron Man, The Dark Knight, and Spider-Man. I would not let my 10-year-old watch any of those movies (maybe the first Spider-Man), but this one was okay. Almost on the line, though.
Parent Written byStarrgirl May 6, 2011

Loved this move and it was excellent for my 7 year old. Yes there are battles, but little or no blood. It's Thor, of course he is going to do battle. I like this movie for it's story. A good story for a 7 year old about Thor's bad self centered choices and how his father teaches him a lesson and brings out the good person that Thor is on the inside. Take your kids!
Parent of a 7, 10, and 13 year old Written byIlsa May 19, 2011

Finally, something I can take all of the kids to see

Fun movie. Sex and cursing were refreshingly absent. Great hero figure. If you let your kids watch Star Wars, take them to this.
Adult Written byMelyssaRave May 17, 2011

Great movie; Good for ages 10+

I loved this movie, and I think it's great for ages 10+. Consumerism isn't that apparent, with product placement for a cereal and some things in the background. Thor is part of Marvel's movie arc, so of course they're going to mention Iron Man. Two other Marvel characters also make an appearance. The battle scenes weren't bloody at all, but could be intense for younger kids. One family did have to take their child out of the theater - the kid looked to be about 5. If your kid gets scared easy by monsters or battle scenes, don't see this. That being said, the role models were great - Jane, the scientist, won't back down on her beliefs and is strong in her convictions; Odin, Thor's father, is a just ruler, who wants peace for his realm and wants Thor to be the best ruler he can be. Thor starts off the movie as an arrogant prince, akin to the star football player of Asgard. Through the movie he learns to be selfless and wise. There's only one scene where drinking is prevalent (it's only on the side in the Asgard scenes) and a scientist is shown drunk, with Thor having to carry him back to his house. There were only minor curse words, and nothing big like the S or F words. There was one long kiss and comments on Thor's physique. It's a great movie, and was amazing in 3D. If you plan on seeing any of the other movies Marvel Studios is putting out within the next couple of years (Captain America; Avengers; etc) stay after the credits for Thor!
Parent of a 6 year old Written byajdupre May 14, 2011

okay for kids

great movie brought our 6 year old who loves comics..... he was so into the movie he didn't say a word the whole time... the movie was the best i've seen in a long ... besides some drinking and a few cuse words it was a good family movie
Parent of a 17 year old Written byMrsQuiet May 10, 2011

OK for kids who won't be overwhelmed by the violence

Really enjoyed the movie. No nudity or bad language. Compelling story with a good message. Caution for children who might be frightened or distressed by family betrayal, loss, and violence.
Parent Written byBeachParent18 December 26, 2011

My 4 year old's favorite movie. Non-gory battles and dark ice-monsters.

Both my 4 and 5 year olds were glued to this movie, and it is now my son's favorite. Though the complete plot line is of course over his head without my guidance (e.g., Thor has to learn to be less selfish before his heart is worthy enough to get his hammer back), he understands who the good and bad guys are, and enjoys the non-gory superhero battles and the realistic (to him) depiction of the different planets. Refreshingly, bad language is very minimal compared to even most PG movies (and this is PG-13), so this is a huge thumbs up from mom and dad. This is a movie the family can enjoy, as long as your children are OK with superhero type battle scenes and not scared of "dark" (but non-bloody) monsters as the bad guys. Though some teens and adults might find parts cheesy, we see it as comic-book genre appropriate, and thought there was some nice comic dialog in spots as well. Can't wait for Thor 2!
Parent Written byDasGinatron November 6, 2011

The hammer of Thor reviews you....

Thor is a decent movie. The comics are better, though. They put good effort into making this an appropriate movie for most ages, and succeeded. Young kids, not so much, but preteens entering their teen years would be more than okay viewing this film!
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byTonyJ42 June 7, 2011

Thor

Took my almost 7-year old to see this with his 7-year old friend. Violence is comic book violence: no blood, frost giants smash to pieces, nothing he hasn't seen in cartoons. No bad language that I can remember. Nothing too intense for kids that already watch action/comic book movies and tv shows. And we enjoyed the movie!
Adult Written byhelsingmusique October 30, 2014

I Really Liked This Movie

Part of the Marvel Movie Franchise, Thor is essentially about two brothers, Thor who is the god of thunder and Loki who is the god of mischief. Thor at the beginning of the movie gets sent to earth and stripped of his powers by his father Odin when he disobeys his father and goes to Jotunheimr (one of the 9 worlds) and attacks the Jotunn or frost giants and nearly starts a war between Jotunheimr and his home of Asgard. This is a story of redemption for Thor and a story of betrayal for Loki, it teaches a lot of positive messages about redeeming yourself, doing what is right, but you also see suffering and heartbreak in this tale, the villain has very human emotions making him more realistic and bringing sense to why he is doing what he is doing. It also teaches us about the fact that culture shock happens, like when Thor stumbles into New Mexico, he doesn't know how to act there, Asgard is all he has ever known and his mannerisms are not the right mannerisms for the United States as far as culture goes. In depth, this film really can be quite interesting. Nothing in this film sends red flags for children watching this to me, I would have watched this as a kid had it been available.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byedklat August 26, 2014

Educator and Parent of a 1, 2, 4, 6, and 14 year old Written bySuperherofan May 7, 2014

LEARNING

No language or sex

Yes there is a little violence but nothing your kid can't handle. There is no sex. And language is only h-ll.so let kid see it.
Parent Written bySpidermanFan1993 July 10, 2013

Thor - Movie Review

This is one of the best origin story movies that I have seen so far. There are not a lot of content concerns for parents if they plan on taking there kids to see this movie. Their is some mild profanity that is used in this movie but it is not frequent as well as a slang word for someone being drunk. This movie also has some kissing in it as well as in one scene you see Thor shirtless. This movie also has some alcohol drinking scenes. I can only recall two scenes where alcohol is being consumed. One scene shows Selvik and Thor in a bar drinking and then they show up where Jane is living and Thor is carrying Selvik because Selvik is drunk while Thor is not drunk. The next morning you can see Selvik experiencing a hangover. The violence is really typical for a comic book adaption movie. However there are two scenes which might concern some parents. In one scene you see a frost giants head get cut off and in the other scene you see Thor fly through the mouth of a gigantic beast and come out the back of the beast's head which you can see the hole. One thing also that might concern some parents is that unlike the Avengers you feel a little bit sorry for Loki in this movie. All in all I recommend this movie to everyone that is interested in watching this movie.
Adult Written byWill loves movies May 31, 2013

It's hammer time!

Thor, the mighty Avenger, is a great prelude to Marvel's the Avengers. This movie has a great message about being humble and not being arrogant. Thor is a good role model. The only scene that is a bit uncomfortable is when Thor and Dr. Selvig drink with Selvig getting drunk. The only sexual content is that Darcy is infatuated with Thor. However, Jane is the one that kisses Thor, rather passionately. The violence is not as violent as the Avengers but more violent than Captain America the First Avenger. Kids might get scared by the frost giants as they do have red eyes. Thor is a great origin movie and a great prelude to Marvel's the Avengers. Bring on the sequel!
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 21, 2012

Wow,keep it up guys.

I for one enjoyed this movie.It was really cool and dark! I loved all the action in the movie!
Adult Written byAndy9Lego August 30, 2012

AWESOME movie

Thor is an awesome movie. it has a big positive role model, in the beginning Thor wants violence, and loki wants peace, but in the end it is reversed. The frost giants are sort of creepy but not that much. Very few curse words are used. In one scene Thor and some guy are at a bar. Thor and a girl kiss, and a ipod is mentioned.
Adult Written byJEDI micah August 15, 2012

THE GOD OF THUNDER!!!

Thor may not be one of my favorite out of the Marvel superheroes, but this is an awesome movie! Who knew that mythology and superhero could collide together?! This movie is a little bit on the violent side, but nothing bloody or too frightening. Comic book fans will not be disappointed with this movie!