All parent member reviews for Time Bandits

Parent of a 10 and 15 year old Written byLeighj January 14, 2011

Great for all ages. Wonderful introduction Gilliam films.

This movie is one that people either love or dismiss. While it can be watched in the context of Gilliam's 'Trilogy' (i.e. Brazil, Baron Münchhausen) it can be enjoyed by tweens and up. It may be a bit cheezy in effects after all it's an 80's move but it has the level of violence that would be found in many a 11 year old's day dreams. It does have some Pythonesque humor and some accents may be difficult to understand. But overall a movie to see at least twice to understand all that it has to offer.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byloghlr January 10, 2011

Not Gilliam's best, but good for kids.

The arm wrestler pulls off a fake arm -- not scary. Violence is mild.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written bysarafmc February 24, 2011

Excellent moral adventure

My almost-7 daughter and 9 year old son were riveted to this one, very excited while watching it, but afterwards said they didn't want to watch it again. However, the conversations about good and evil, materialism, and the way various characters were portrayed went on for a while afterward, they were very stirred up by it. I would not let the younger one watch it alone, this was one she needed a little reassurance for the first time due to the suspense, violence, monsters. She said she liked it a lot, but that it was a little too scary. So I would say she is the absolute bottom end for this one (7 in two months). I think the violence would be too much for a younger child. Also I think younger children would just be bored, have a hard time tracking the story which really jumps around a lot, and with the lack of concrete normal time/space reality. A 9+ kid who loves history, has been reading about knights and Ancient Greece, would probably be the best young audience. The Satanic character is linked to the game shows and mindless materialistic greed of the protagonist's parents. Throughout the movie the boy is making strong heartfelt moral protests against the materialism and evil behavior of the bandits. Killing and war are mostly shown as futile and evil (if sometimes necessary, when Agamemnon kills a Minotaur figure). The bandits attempt to defeat the Satanic character with soldiers out of history and he easily turns their attacks fatally against them. One of many fine surreal touches - the evil being's castle is subtly shown to be built out of giant Lego bricks. The Supreme Being is shown as a very civilized calm bureaucratic character in a gray three piece suit, a little like a wise cranky strict fatherly headmaster, who hates a mess and is in total control. There is a lot of grim grimy humor and a lot of cartoonish death, though a loved character is killed (temporarily) at the very end. No swearing. There is some wine drinking and cigar smoking at various points (by the adult bandits, who are clearly not role models).
Adult Written byLARP August 7, 2013

great fun 'kids movie'. intellectually challenging at points

I think it's a good movie, especially if one understands it. I'm afraid young kids will be lacking in that respect. I don't remember how old I was the first time I saw it, but I was 6 when it came out. I remember thinking it was a really cool movie. There's tons of fun adventure. But some stuff was scary and disturbing. I found the end where the parents explode probably the most disturbing (and confusing) part, particularly how they willfully ignored the warning. I just watched it on Hulu and I still find that bit strange at the least. I'm just now as I write this coming up with a possible reason for it. One is, the director created them as distasteful people and so 'to hell with them!' I still don't like that message. Another may be a warning about ignoring warnings. It's the kind of thing a young kid would do: expressly what you tell them not to. It's one part fun adventure and one part social and religious commentary, though it's not entirely clear what the comment is. I think I would recommend it for adults and for kids (though not too young).
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 23, 2012

time bandits

outweigh its flaws and it's a perfect movie for those who prefer their fantasy with a bit of bite. Families can talk about how humor of this nature, somewhat satirical and dark, often has very serious things to say. Did you detect any serious themes behind this comedy, such as questioning authority, the nature of the universe, or the nature of time?
Parent Written byBein April 7, 2012