Find the best for your family

See what's streaming, limit strong violence or language, and find picks your kids will love with Common Sense Media Plus.

Join now

Parent reviews for Timmy Failure: Mistakes Were Made

Inventive, book-based misfit tale is sweet and funny.

Parent of a 12-year-old Written bycagey11 February 21, 2020

Cute movie, good message

Slow to start for me, but it was a sweet movie. It was refreshing that there was no bullying storyline or gross-out humor. The casting was great, the storytelling smart. The conversation between Timmy and his school counselor on the playground was really satisfying to me - a message of embracing our uniqueness, taking responsibility for our mistakes and learning from them, and adapting to adverse situations.

I say 8+ just because I'm not wholly sure that this movie would hold the interest of younger kids. Also, as other parents have noted, "damn" is used once, in the context of an adult announcing she is "damn proud" of students at a rally. While it didn't bother me, it also was out of place at a school event anyway, so why not just leave it out?

Also, it might matter to parents that the "bad guys" in Timmy's vivid imagination are Russian operatives (whom he refers to as "The Russians" throughout the movie)... that might prompt a conversation about why this villain stereotype is used in movies. And the class pet, a hamster, dies (his stiff, dead body is seen briefly), which might bother littles.

Adult Written byM86 February 12, 2020

Thought it would be much better

I thought this would be much better than it was. Our kids were disappointed and we were too. I was mostly disappointed in the cuss word at the end. I always check common sense media before watching movies. That wasn’t mentioned at all under the language section. However I do see another reviewer mentioned it. I guess I will need to be reading reviews as well as the main one on here.
I would say don’t waste your time with this one though.
Adult Written byJes2020 February 11, 2020

Not for the little ones.

Near the end of the movie, there is a scene where the kids are having a rally outside at a park and the main adult figure says “damn”. Definitely was not needed. Whatever happened to kids movies actually being for kids and being kid friendly?