All parent member reviews for To Kill a Mockingbird

Parent of a 12 year old Written byTsion April 9, 2008

A Moving Triumph of Moviemaking!

TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD is based on the book of the same name (which I also reviewed). It's a moving, fictional account of a young girl, her brother, and their lawyer father who live in the bigoted south in the 1930s. The movie follows the book very closely, with many of the same lines. There are only minor changes. Atticus, the father, serves as the best role model in any book or movie I can think of. There is no sex or nudity shown, but an innocent black man is accused of rape and the colorblind Atticus is called to defend him. The trial is handled in mild terms but will be tense for younger viewers. Violence is frequent but is all offscreen. We hear that a man is stabbed through the ribs while stalking children, and we hear the the black man who went on trial (SPOILERS) was shot and killed. There are no real curse words, but "ni***r" is used several times. Though I love the movie, I must say that I liked the book a bit more, because of the Mrs. Dubois subplot, which was deleted in the movie. Gregory Peck is perfectly cast; he is Atticus. Although there is some objectionable content, kids should watch this movie with their parents. It's a must-see for everyone, young or old (though not too young). Highly recommended.
Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written byAerik November 25, 2013

Great movie from the classic book

Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 19, 2012

OK movie,but really boring.

When I rented this movie on Netflix,my family was bored by this movie.So was I.The acting is just average.There are A LOT of great role models in the movie though.
Adult Written bysbdreamin April 9, 2008

A classic story of social prejudice

To Kill a Mockingbird still holds up after all these years. 'Scout' will appeal to children who feel 'different' for whatever reason. There is much to discuss with your children after watching this movie from 'pre-judging' people by how they look or how they act, to why some people believe differently than we do. I think it would be too difficult for children to understand or 'get into' under the age of 11 or 12, but very bright children with a high sense of justice will 'get it'.
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo June 26, 2010

Great to Watch with Older Kids

This movie is definitely for older kids and up. There is racial tension in this movie that must be discussed and explored. The n word is used, and it's got some pretty realistic scary scenes where the kids are in potential danger, and the children do get attacked. So keep all this in mind. All in all a beautiful movie about a man doing what he knows is right in the face of hatred and racism. Promotes very good messages and role models in the kids and in their father.
Adult Written byWaxphantom April 9, 2008

Brilliant, deep yet accessible movie

This movie is amazingly paced, in a metaphorically Southern way. The richness of the characters and story is perfectly presented and lingers with you weeks after watching the movie. Even the black-and-white presentation adds to the timelessness of the picture. Place watching this movie on list of 100 things to do before you die. Reading the book should also be on the same list.
Adult Written bysarge123 October 2, 2015

Classic is thought-provoking but mature. 14+

The plot of this drama heavily concerns the rape of a teenage girl, but is handled in a tasteful manner. Parents need to decide if their children can handle these mature themes.
Educator and Parent Written byndearden April 30, 2014

Truly a classic

As a text and a movie, To Kill a Mockingbird effectively guides students (of all ages!) towards thinking critically and empathetically about life's injustices.
Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 14 year old Written byJamesRobertson January 4, 2009