Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Toy Story 3

Smart, funny "threequel" is scarier than the first two.

Adult Written byWaterNymph March 7, 2011

Parents: Please Read

First of all, those of you who are saying this movie was "intense" and "too scary", I have no idea what you're talking about. There was nothing scary about this movie. Secondly, this movie was not intended for tiny children anyway. I'm 18 years old. Toy Story 1 and 2 came out when I was a little kid, and they purposely came out with 3 when people who grew up with Toy Story were older and could relate to Andy and the changes he is going through. I loved it, it was very meaningful, had a great message, and was extremely touching for us 90s kids who grew up with Andy and Buzz. Love Pixar!

Parent of a 4, 6, and 8 year old Written byTo Blathe April 22, 2011

This one has an emotionally dark side that may be too intense for sensitive children

The violence is not a problem, but this movie does contain some emotionally mature situations that can be disturbing to a more sensitive audience. The reviews neglect to mention a very dark scene in which a clown explains why the teddy bear and other toys turned bad. It was an unexpected turn for a comedy, and had both the adults and children raising eyebrows, and my sensitive 6 year old was in tears. I also didn't like the message of the bad bear staying bad in the end - there was no reforming him.

Parent of an infant and 3 year old Written byMeredithR June 26, 2010
My three year old and her three year old friend saw this together in the theater, and they both loved it! They weren't scared during the intense "near death" scenes, maybe because we talked about how this movie was just pretend beforehand, or maybe it was just because they are only three and don't understand the concept of death yet. The monkey and the big baby were creepy even to me, but the kids didn't seem bothered and those characters didn't come up in conversation later. I think the movie was a little too violent for small children. There were several scenes containing slapping and hitting and general throwing around of others. Little kids won't understand why some of the characters are nice in some scenes and mean and physically violent in others. It makes it hard to tell who the bad guys are. Also, I said there was too much sexy stuff, but that was just because of the the Barbie/Ken scenes. There are also inferences to Ken being gay because of his love of clothes and his personal grooming. But I think all of this went over our kids heads. Overall, this was a highly entertaining movie that really did appeal to the wide variety of ages in the theater in which we saw it.

Parent of a 3, 4, and 8 year old Written bytomdryan June 23, 2010

Toy Story Meets "Cool Hand Luke"

This movie should have been rated PG, no question. It has some very intense scenarios, including the middle third of the movie when the main characters are locked in a "prison" under the control of a sadistic character and his cronies. Pixar was trying to be cute by alluding to stereotype characters and situations from adult movies, but it just comes off as creepy. There are also age inappropriate gambling and sexual references. Toward the end of the movie, there is another intense scene where the main characters are heading for certain death -- it looks right out of a movie about the Holocaust. The only consolation of this film is that many children may not fully understand its negative implications because they have not seen the "reference films" to which the scenes and scenarios refer. Thus, the movie could actually be slightly more intense for adults than for the children because we understand those references and can't believe that we are sitting in a movie letting our kids be exposed to these negative images. The kids are scared, but not to the degree that they would be if they fully understood those references. Even if they don't understand everything they are seeing, it does desensitize them to brutality and violence. I feel like this movie is Hollywood preparing our youngsters for even more sadistic and violent movies as they get older. Can't we just let kids be kids and let them enjoy the relatively boring and sweet G rated movies of years gone by? Does Hollywood always need to "crank it up a notch" movie after movie? Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of the age-based ratings system? All that being said, the end of the movie (last 5 minutes) was clever, touching and emotional for kids of all ages. I wish the entire movie could have been a little more in that vein.

Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byinel June 23, 2010
This is not at all appropriate for children. Violence, nastiness, creepiness, sadness, separation anxiety,sadism, gambling, .... i could go on. No reason to expose children to this movie which is obviously more concerned about impressing adults. Please think carefully and perhaps choose another film to take children to.

Adult Written bylovedisney June 21, 2010

NOT good for sensitive kids who still 'believe' things are 'real'. VERY INTENSE for small children.

Just an fyi that we feel that kids should be 6 and up for the new Toy Story movie. Of course, It's just our experience with our twin 5 year old girls and 8 year old son, but our 2 girls found several parts of Toy Story 3 too intense and scary. And even 3 days later, one of them is saying that it was too scary and she never, ever, ever, wants to see that movie again. They are now skeptical of all of those toys shown in the movie. (Spoiler info below) Basically, the good toys get involved with some 'bad' toys at a day care center who not only 'punish' the good toys by locking them up in cages (crates) and putting them 'in the box (sandbox)' for trying to escape, but the climax involves a very intense scene of all the good toys (Woody, Buzz, etc) heading towards extermination in a landfill incinerator. (reminded us of the fiery last scene in Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith). And the meanest toy is heartless and cruel throughout and even with many chances to 'change and do the right thing', he keeps choosing to be bitter and a villian. If you have a young child who still 'believes' in things, then this might not be the best choice. We didn't even see it in 3D and the effect would have been even more intense. We loved the other two Toy Story movies and still watch them all the time, but we were disappointed in the story line for this long-awaited movie. It's as though they made scary moments longer and more dramatic than necessary for 'effect'. Beginning is fine, end is fine, but the middle had our girls crying and screaming. Many little ones all around the theatre were jumping into their parents laps and we were all trying to explain that is wasn't real....but it took almost 20 minutes for 'everything to be okay' and that was frustrating. The movie is a good Pixar family movie, but we feel that people with young kids 5 and under may want to not see it on the big screen.

Privacy & Safety
Parent of a 5 year old Written bycascadesmom June 20, 2010

Left my 5-yr-old sobbing!

Our diehard fan was so excited to see TS3, but he got nervous when the daycare center characters became menacing. Then came the sinister screeching monkey, straight out of a Stephen King novel. The junkyard incinerator was the final straw. He's ok with the intense scenes from the first two movies but the dark & scary stuff is just relentless in this one; it went on and on. Several children in our theater were crying. We're thankful we didn't see it in 3-D!

Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byNYU Dad July 22, 2010

Beware of the scary toys

Don't underestimate how scary the baby and monkey are. They really scared my 6 year old son and are not appropriate for a G rated movie.

Adult Written bybrauer100 July 4, 2010

My 6yo says this is the worst movie ever

My 6yo absolutely hated this movie, having loved the first two. In his words, "The Toy Story 3 movie is a horrible movie. Bad things happen. They get dumped into the trash and almost get cooked. It made me very sad and it was scary." He is sitting with me now while we write this because he woke up with nightmares. It wasn't just the violence that was scary--the themes are dark and depressing and not appropriate for sensitive children. My 4yo loved it, on the other hand. I don't think she was mature enough to be negatively affected by the dark messages. I don't think it's an age issue. My friend's 10yo hated it and thought it was very sad. During the movie, I heard several children crying loudly. This was definitely a movie Pixar made with adults in mind, not kids. It makes no sense to me that this movie received a G rating, whereas UP and Wall-E got PG. I would have definitely thought this movie deserved a PG-13 rating for violence and adult themes. Long and short, preview this movie before letting your children see it. You will be able to decide whether you think it is too violent and too mature for your children.

Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byFull-time Parent July 7, 2010
Due to a schedule snafu, I happened to see this movie tonight with another adult. There is NO WAY that I will bring my kids to see it. The entire movie is emotionally draining. It is a great film, but definitely not a happy film. Just becuase it's animated does not mean that it is appropriate for kids. Especially kids who are thoughtful, sensitive, empathetic, etc. The movie has a very sad undertone. Not to mention the horrifying scene at the end where the toys are going to be incinerated. I have two boys (5 and 8) and they would be extremely sad during the film and would, I'm sure, have a really tough time going to sleep because parts of it were so scary.

Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byFilmDaddy June 18, 2010

Wait for rental when you can fast forward through some very scary scenes

What was Disney thinking? This is Toy Story meets Star Wars (toys being dragged into firey pit) meets Boogey Nights (Ken doll scenes - enough said). My 4 year old actually wanted to leave because he was so scared. Yes it's entertaining for Tweens and up, but this franchise was geared toward the preschool set. The fact that it got a G rating is further proof the rating system needs a compete overall. For those with young children -- I know there will be pressure to take your kids to see this, but if at all possible try to wait for video when your kid will be 6 months older and you can forward through some of the scary parts that really serve no purpose to the story. This just doesn't meet the age expectations for viewers that the previous two movies set.

Adult Written byChris V. June 20, 2010

There's something that the latter parents need to understand.

Well to clarify I say this movie at the Harkins theatre in Chino Hills Ca. on the midnight screening. The theater was PACKED! Surprisingly though not with children as most people would expect from a Pixar movie. The thing that needs to be clarified is that this movie was NOT made for children. As visible by the age group filling the theater, this movie was made for those young adults in their late teens, early twenties. That's why I loved this movie. I first saw TS1 when I was 5 in 1996. I even remember getting a Buzz doll on my 6th birthday. Pixar making a movie for the people who originally saw the movie 15 years ago is absolute genius. Not one movie studio would ever be loyal enough to their customers to do this. There is some dark humor and a lot of macabre as other reviewers were pointing out. I went with my girlfriend (19) and she cried silent tears next to me in the trash incinerating scene as everyone gasped in horror and just as they where saved the humor in the scene rejuvenated the crowd the way no other movie could. If you fit in this category you will absolutely LOVE this movie, just understand that most likely this will be a date movie and not a movie you take your little sibling on. What a lot of overprotective parents don't understand is that every age category will take this movie in a different perspective. A (4-6 y.o.) child (one of 4 in the whole theater) in the seat below me was clapping his hand in excitement to the last scene while I was grabbing onto the edge of my seat. Aside from that there are a lot of social jokes thrown in (such as Barbie pulling out a quote about under-controlled governments) that will make adults laugh out loud while their child will laugh along and not understand, which is completely OKAY, it's what makes this movie so great for a general audience. This movie in general was made for my age group but CAN be enjoyed by a whole family. I do advise though that if you have a child that is oversensitive to wait until they are mature enough to understand this film critically (usually 13 maybe 16 for the overprotected bunch). For those that can take this action filled style they will get a moral lesson in loyalty, trust, and learning that righteousness or doing the right thing is always correct. This movie is packed with positive messages it just might be a little mature for some.

Parent Written bySayaka13 July 2, 2010

The greatest of the summer family movies!

We went to see Toy Story 3 with a bunch of kids ages 3 - 8. They all loved it! Sure they were a little bit scared at parts, but that was part of the thrill and it didn't last long. The adults in the group sobbed at the sentimental parts, maybe imagining our own kids growing up and letting go. On the other hand, I think the joke on the narcissistic and effeminate Ken may have gone a little bit too far, mostly at the end with the girlie handwriting issue. Besides that, I definitely recommend this movie!!!
Adult Written byBigThom1208 June 19, 2010

Another great Pixar movie that has a lot to say but G is too low a rating.

While Toy Story is a movie made for kids it has some very perilous and infecting scenes that made even me, a 21 YO kid who loves dark dramas a little uneasy. This movie introduces some new characters(Lotso, Big Baby ETC) and they're all very dark characters, especially lotso. These characters are portrayed gambling and laughing at the pain of the "new" toys at Sunnyside Day Care and none of the antagonizing characters find redemption. The oppressive new toys forcce characters like Buzz and Jesse to be in the "toddler Room" because they are seen as having no value. Lotso and his "crew" use terrorizing techniques to intimidate the new toys and force them to do what they want. It's not a good message to be sending to children. Scare people and they'll do what you want them to. Also the Scene with the incinerator at the landfill is outright heartbreaking. The toys accept their fate and wait to be killed in each others hand embrace. This scene brought back memories of Schindler's List for me and is far too deep a concept for young children to understand. It's not like in other movies where i character is heroic and does something risky to save their friends. It's just them accepting death for no reason. It was a powerful scene but for someone who can understand that.

Adult Written byElektra61306 July 9, 2011

Sorry I let my 3 year old watch it.

I loved the first two movies in the Toy Story franchise, but this one scared my 3 year old to the point where he wouldn't wear his Toy Story 3 pajama's because he was afraid there was "fire" on them. I was disappointed in that scene at the incinerator. Not for young children.

Parent of a 6 year old Written byCeejaytee July 2, 2010
Overall, this was quite a good movie although not as good as original movie. If I were ranking the 3, it would be Toy Story, Toy Story 3, and then Toy Story 2. My 6 and 8 year olds were okay with some of the scarier parts (especially the extremely scary part at the garbage dump) but a smaller child, perhaps around 4 or 5 in the audience, cried at that part. Definitely take into consideration how your kids are with scary parts. We saw it in 2D, which I prefer--I think it might have been too intense in 3D. That being said, there were very positive messages about friendship and growing up, and the end of the movie was one of the most moving things I've seen in a long time.

Parent of a 9, 11, and 17 year old Written byParenting IS COOL July 1, 2010
Did not enjoy it at all. My 11 year old did not like it at all and asked to leave several times because he did not like it. I could not get into it either (usually love kids films) but the relentless ugly stuff was more than I could take, so we left. My 9 year old kinda liked it... ended ok. Dad did not like it either.

Parent of a 2 and 3 year old Written bySingleview June 20, 2010

Too intense for a 3 year old!

Here I go. I JUST CAME BACK from watching a very well done movie. It was a work of art. BUT this movie is NOT for your 3 year old. My son has watched Toy Story 1 and 2 several times on DVD. He has also been to Disney world where he has watched several short movies (this was a year ago). So although this was his first movie outing, he was (I thought) ready for it. Well, the truth is, he would have been ready for it had it been Toy Story 1 and/or 2. Toy Story 3 is a different kind of a 'toy story'. The themes in the movie are a lot DEEPER.... MUCH TOO DEEP for a 3, 4 or even a 5 year old. I'd think 6 year old may start to be ABLE to comprehend some of these DARK themes. The movie was too loud, the characters were too intense, and although the ending was happy and - yes I admit - broke me down in tears.... I think my 3 year old may have been affected a bit by the intensity of it all. Look, it was a VERY well done movie - - and I really enjoyed it. But this is supposed to be TOY STORY, not "Leaving Las Vegas".

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written bysikharing April 6, 2017

Well made sequel

The movie illustrated the neglected toys, how they feel and how people treated them.

Adult Written byC S November 14, 2016

Apropiate age is: Andy's.

If your are Andy's age, then it is suited for you. Eg: for Toy Stoy 1, any kid; toy story 2 late kid to early teen. Toy story 3, a late teenager.