All parent member reviews for Transformers: Age of Extinction

Parent Written byJim F July 1, 2014

No Hero's Here - Just Violence, Gore and Bad role models

Parents please take your kids elsewhere for "hero" action shows. Transformers 4 Age of Extinction is in no way a kids movie and there are no heros. It contains violence, gore, swearing including the F word and murder committed by "heroic good guys". The supposed hero-leader Optimus Prime violently kills other robots and a human. Also he threatens an animal-like character to "Help Us or Die" as he takes a red hot sword to the character's ear. So not only is Optimus Prime portrayed as a violent killing brawler he also is an animal abuser. Also the commercialism is over the top.
Educator and Parent Written bymafeulner July 3, 2014

Getting a Bad Rap

Yes, there is a lot of violence and it is not the strongest plot, but this is arguably the best movie in the franchise. And giant fighting robots is going to have violence. But I believe the critics are missing the point(s). Those complaints about too much sex are referring to the daughter wearing skimpy shorts and kissing her secret boyfriend, who is intentionally played that way to emphasize the single father's struggle of raising a teenage girl. Too much consumerism? That was half of the plot! It was an indictment of 'bottom-line/profit motive' mentalities. And, ultimately, the main theme is choosing to do the honorable thing in the face of betrayals and when it is hugely difficult. The only problem I had with it was the swearing, which was a tad too much, again.
Parent of a 10, 12, 14, and 15 year old Written byLarisajenkins July 5, 2014

Awful.

Thought this one might be different. Alas, no money left for writers. Very long, tedious. As with the other movies, the worst part is the portrayal of the young vixen. Why aren't we objecting to this? This director tells young girls that it's normal to lie to their parents, "get wasted," dress seductively, and sneak boys into the house at night. The parents' job is to just embrace the inevitable.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bynicholasglen June 29, 2014

Best movie ever!

Great movie with lots of robots and transforming. A little long however but still great. Would have liked to see more Galvatron, but Lockdown very cool(those were my son's comments). As a parent there was very little in this movie that wasn't appropriate for 7 and up(few minor swear words only) and none that a 7 year old wouldn't know. I would arrive 20 minutes after start time as the preview added a lot of time, and many of the previews were fairly scary.
Adult Written byJEDI micah July 13, 2014

Michael Bay just won't give up!

Ok, let's just get one thing straight: I gave the previous Transformers movies 4 or 5 stars, but I never knew how terrible those movies are, with the acting, story-telling, racism, etc. I went to see this one, and I thought it was a little ok. I mean as always, the special effects are amazing! But as far as story and acting, it could've been improved. And also, every single women in this movie are all dressed like models. I find this to be a little sexist and puts women down as just mere sex objects. Let's all hope that director Michael Bay won't keep messing up the franchise in the future (if he even plans to!).
Parent of a 6 and 10 year old Written byDoublesharp July 10, 2014

FOUL!!! ... language.

The VERY First spoken word in the movie is SH*t. It doesn't get much better from there. Later they chose to use the "F" word. Three ladies walking down the hall and they say " How do you say get the F out of the way in Chinese?" The writer/writers thought it was cute to use profanity. What creativity??? When their mind comes up short they look in the gutter for dialogue. Hasbro, transformers and Robots. They all scream "Kids". What has happened to cause Hollywood to believe it is okay to immerse our children in such low-class writing. Hasbro should denounce it.
Adult Written bycodyt February 24, 2015

Nice effect, but lame.

The part I like about this movie was the effect, but the worse part of the movie was what they do, and who. Like human for example, huge gigantic machines needed humans help, and at middle of the movie, when they are be being chased, the guy with a lot of money just take out a box of milk and start drinking when tons of other transformers are chasing them, and where the hell did he take out that milk? Did he put it in his pocket the whole time? This is transformer! Not transformer and Human.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bycfb July 10, 2014

Good if you like this kind of movie

Just saw this with my son. One of those movies with almost no plot, lots of explosions and shooting, lots of car racing, too many bad guys and unclear good guys. I say unclear because sometime the "good" robots want to give up on people, say they want to kill them, and their ambivalence flips back and forth throughout the movie. For a movie based on kids toys, the language was really tough in some spots with the f-bomb aimed at some old ladies, lots of s--t, b---h, etc. It really earned the PG-13. Tons of robot violence including arms and legs being ripped/blown off and swords through the chest, cutting each other in half, etc. Lots of good looking women in skimpy clothes, so some will like that and it'll tick off some others. Men protect women and women exude sex and helplessness. Extensive heavy duty product placement. Lots of out-of-place comments by robot characters that are probably what the toy says when you push a button. A robot smokes a metal cigar and flicks it at humans, main human character drinks a beer after the beer truck is smashed into. A bunch of attractive young girls declare that they're ready to get wasted. Its also extremely long at 2 hours 45 minutes. We went into the theater a little early and between ads and previews up front and the movie it was well over 3 hours. I enjoyed it. My 10 year old liked it but I would have liked a little less bad language. Its empty but enjoyable. The 3D was pretty well wasted on this movie, looks like they made it as a regular movie and then 3D-ized it. Most of the 3d effect is dust and flakes of stuff floating around in the air after an explosion. Not a bad flick for cheap, but glad I didn't pay a lot for it.
Adult Written byjoshua martinez July 6, 2014

13 and up.

this fourth installment action/adventure movie Transformers: Age of Extinction is the best movie ever stars with mark wahlberg this movie is perfect for your teens and parents you need to know that Transformers: Age of Extinction has a lot of intense violence and some strong language used.
Adult Written byfonzieg March 29, 2015

Messy, pointless, awful sequel!

Okay, this movie could have been the best of the Transformers movies, because it has some of Hollywood's finest actors, but it turned out to be the worst of the franchise because of the lazy, god-awful writing, and most of the god-awful acting, and occasionally bad special effects! The action sequences are fine, but the movie is so messy, you'll be so unnecessarily confusing, you'll have no idea what's happening! Skip this atrocity!
Adult Written byCabkrub July 22, 2014

Great in almost every way, but only if you're a mega Transformers fan

First off, I am a big Transformers fan, always have been, always will. That being said, I think that this movie is easily the best of the Michael Bay film series. It hints at things to come throughout much more than the others did, and the only movie that had a better plot was the first. The action was great, the characters were great especially if you know their histories, and the plot was, while not perfect, a big improvement to Revenge of the Fallen and Dark of the Moon. The biggest downsides for me was the fairly constant utterances of foul language, including one f-bomb, but besides that nothing anymore major than s#!t and it's variations. To me, the violence, especially with it being almost exclusively giant alien robots, is acceptable for anyone older than 10. The reason I say ages 13 and up however is due to the language and brief sexual remarks that pop up every once in a while (some worse than others, though nothing compared to the other 3). Overall, it looks like us TF fans finally got the movie we were waiting for!
Parent of a 18+ year old Written byCheese and Bread June 1, 2016

Meh not that good no. 1 is by far the best of the sires

Adult Written byMichael Loughrie February 20, 2016

Worst movie of all time (no joke)

Age Of Extinction is just awful. This movies dialog is so bad I laughed a few scenes, the CGI looks like it was done with play-doe, and overall the movie is just terrible. I remember watching this movie with my karate summer camp and my god it was awful. Worst movie of all time, NO JOKE!
Adult Written byprabuchiyan June 18, 2015
Adult Written byBan Moy May 22, 2015

Lackluster sequel would have been much better if shorter.

Off for ages 6 and under. Pause for ages 7-9. On for ages 10+
Parent of a 12 year old Written byedklat April 25, 2015
Adult Written byhomealonefan123 March 6, 2015

Awfully made and awfully written action movie is not worth it!

After 2 good movies and 1 okay movie, we get an awful Michael Bay explosion fest full of awful acting, nauseating action sequences, and an awfully written script.
Educator and Parent Written byjohnswanson October 31, 2014

Endless action film has tons of robot on robot violence, but little else.

This movie was exactly what you would expect from a Transformers film. It is 165 minutes long and at least 3/4 of that is action scenes - explosions, chases, destroyed buildings, etc. For all that carnage, there is very little human blood. There is very little profanity (one F-bomb). I have to disagree with the three dot rating for sex given by Common Sense Media. We didn't let our 13-year-old daughter watch the film based on that info, but after watching it ourselves, we found little that was sexually objectionable. Sure, the daughter wears slutty clothes and she is a 17-year-old dating a 20-year-old, but there is nothing explicit in their conversations, and they only exchange a few kisses. If you like mindless entertainment then you will probably like this one. The film is based on toys and there are some beer and car product placements.
Parent of a 13 and 16 year old Written bynuenjins September 16, 2014

Best chapter yet still slowing to maturity.

Transformers from the beginning has had plot holes like swiss cheese after it's lost a gun fight but if you're coming back for more excspecting the same director to STILL redeem himself then you're the sucker that's funding the next one.....so stop complaining or stop watching...please. Many of us fans from it's origins have made the Big Bots iconic but we should never hope to see someone with deep pockets put their own ideas to it and stay true to what made it so good in the first place which is, good relatable charecters you actually care about and plausability. Michael Bay will not be doing the convicing 'down to earth' version so you end up with this one. For what it's worth the story finally doesn't make magic rocks or trinkets bring back dead bots when lazy scripting deems it time. This time it's a bounty hunter at the center and human production of Transformers with a surprise visit from the Dinobots who surprisingly get a good amount of screen time. The whiney, overdone hyperspazing of Shai Lebouf (sp?) is finally gone and the more competent Mark Wahlburg does a convincing enough job not to annoy us between robot fights. Like I said, loopholes and liberties taken but it doesn't embarrass itself with crass humor and the over the top at times stupidity of previous installments making it close to if not better than the first film.