All parent member reviews for True Grit

Parent of a 10, 12, and 13 year old Written bySnout-Dog January 10, 2011

Bad dreams await those under 13

Before taking my 12 and 13 year-old sons and my 10 3/4 year old daughter to this movie, I checked CSM as I always do. I was surprised to see them rate 15+, but was relieved at the adult reviews showing 10-11+. I wish I had trusted the CSM rating. This was very inappropriate for my daughter, aged 10. The problem was not the violence necessarily, but the overall scariness. There were some absolutely terrifying parts to a girl this age. She struggled through this movie, big time! She spent a lot of time with her face in her hands or turned away from the screen. My hand and arm are full of her fingernail marks from clinching me tightly, and I had to deal with resulting bad dreams all that night. And let me reassure you that this girl is no shrinking violet. I think CSM needs a "Scary" category. I am also disappointed that no one mentioned the graphic chopping off of fingers, plunging knives into chests, corpses with snakes nested in the torsos, the running to exhaustion and then execution of the girl's horse, the near-death of the girl, the amputation of her arm, the smashing of skulls with large rocks, the beating of the 14 y/o girl with a switch, and standing on her face with one boot while threatening to blow her head off. It is too bad, really, because much of the rest of the movie was worthwhile especially the demonstration of a smart, capable young woman.
Adult Written byoobynooby1 December 18, 2010

John Wayne movie

This review is for the original John Wayne version because they don't have it here. If you want to watch this version, watch the original first. It will make this one more enjoyable. I will also be watching this movie when it comes out, so check back later to find out more about it. In the meantime, watch the original. John Wayne is the bomb!
Parent Written byagent man June 4, 2011

Violent movie filled with positive

although characters engage in lots of gun slinging combat there are messages like how violence does not solve problems and that forgiveness can help you defeat the real bad guys and more
Parent of a 10 year old Written byFunkyMonkey April 17, 2011

Not A Good Movie

This whole movie was about Hailee Steinfeld trying to kill her fathers murder and in one shot he was dead. I think they could have used more action in this movie!
Adult Written bygbtate February 26, 2011

Great acting in anyone's book (More Added, June 9)

A superb movie if you love good acting. Jeff Bridges and Hailee Steinfeld work to make a believable picture of the book. Frankly, this is much more enjoyable than the John Wayne original (this coming from a John Wayne fan)... and left me cheering for a bygone anti-hero. Can a scoundrel become a real life hero?... Even if you don't want to believe, be prepared to anyway, if you go to see this. ADDED 6-9-2011: I see that many reviewers were focused on the cut-off finger thing. Too bad... it was short, effectively shot and then on to the rest of the story. I think what many reviewers failed to see is this... that innocence and a sense of morality need not be compromised by violent situations or people. Mattie is forthright, capable and tenacious. But even in the end, her allowance for good, even in the worst of men, plays itself out in the end. If one is seeking a role model, take a look at any of the main characters in this story, set aside your preconceptions (as well as your view of the finger thing) and find what Mattie found. You'll enjoy this story a whole lot more.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byremember4ever February 14, 2011
Adult Written byThornhill January 26, 2016

Bloody

Adult Written byChilliwack Mom July 25, 2011

Amazing acting!

The main character is a young woman who is determined to right the wrong of her father's death. I'm not a fan of Westerns usually but really enjoyed the amazing actors in this film. There are some moments (ie: when the Texas Ranger almost bites his own tongue off and one young man has his fingers cut off before he is killed) that have me rating this movie okay for teens over 16.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byklabick July 25, 2011

great movie

Adult Written bymoviemadness July 17, 2011

Great Western for OLDER Teens

Parents need to know that True Grit fully deserved its PG-13 rating (and, in my opinion, should have earned an "R"). The film is not only shockingly violent (shootings, hangings, intense peril, the killing of a beloved animal, and a very graphic finger-chopping scene) but tense and scary as well. True Grit perfectly captures the pure lawlessness of the old west. The overall dark and dangerous character of the film combined with the violence makes this a no-go for younger ones. All that said, Mattie's courage and perseverance in seemingly insurmountable circumstances is inspiring. The characters are dimensional and well-acted. The plot is fresh. Altogether, True Grit is a great film for an older audience.
Adult Written bygreenergere June 20, 2011

no good

this movie is super boring and only adults would like it.
Adult Written byPL Hans March 8, 2011

Steinfeld deserved the Oscar!!!

The title makes up my whole rant. Matt Damon and Josh Brolin were excellent, Jeff Bridges and Barry Pepper were amazing, and Hailee Steinfeld was still better!!! The script and cinematography were amazing as well, and the directing was almost as good. The soundtrack is simple, but effective(although I hated the end song). The only concern in my opinion is the violence, which peaks at a semi-graphic scene in which a man's fingers are cut off.
Parent of a 10 and 14 year old Written byKimClark March 4, 2011

Very entertaining!

Loved the story and so impressed with the determination of a young girl to honor her father.
Parent of a 14 year old Written bySullysSidekick March 1, 2011

Some changes, but not for the better.

If you loved the original with John Wayne, prepare to be disappointed with this remake. They did stick to many of the original scenes and script, but the things they changed should have been left alone. What you get is a similar movie with more gore and a sullen, depressing new ending. The original is worth it's weight in gold. We were sorry to have wasted our money on the remake.
Adult Written bybabatopenot February 22, 2011

Worth seeing at least once.

Even better than the original. Had a few moments of unnecessary gore which felt out of place—fingers get cut off, a man gets shot through the head at point blank range and his blood splatters on Cogburn’s face, after the ranger’s mouth gets injured, the Marshall reaches in and starts tugging on something bloody (not sure what his purpose of this last one was, but it was difficult to watch none the less). All these things happen quickly and if you kid has a strong stomach for blood (as most boys do these days) it would probably be a fine choice even if they are younger than 16. The slow pace of the movie means that older children will find it more interesting.
Parent of a 4, 10, and 14 year old Written bygratefuldavid February 19, 2011

Age appropriate for any 14 year old with even half the maturity as Mattie

I saw it Thursday and was thinking of taking my nearly 15 year old daughter to see it. I think she would love the strong willed nature of Mattie and get a few laughs out of Rooster Cogburn. There are some disturbing scenes, not the least of which involves Mattie's horse near the end of the movie. A couple of years ago I let her watch No Country for Old Men which some might feel was ill-advised, but I had to prove to her why it deserved Best Picture over Juno. She agreed. And when she was younger my brother raved that she should watch Oh Brother, so we did and he admitted halfway through the movie that he forgot about how much foul language there was. Still, she loved the movie and did not come away with a potty mouth. Point being that she's well versed in the idiosyncrasies of Coen Brothers movies at this point and would probably fall in love with this movie.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byabrahm January 30, 2011

TRUE GRIT REVIEW

Adult Written byvwterry January 30, 2011

pushes the PG-13 envelope too far

Wonderfully acted, thought-provoking film, but much too violent for the PG-13 rating. If I have to cover my eyes, I'd say it's too much for a young teenager.
Parent of a 12 and 16 year old Written byameadows January 28, 2011
I love westerns and took my 16 year old to see this. We covered our eyes and cowered: there are hangings, fingers chopped off on a table, a body drug behind horses, horses shot at close range....for starters. WHY is this PG 13?
Parent of a 12 year old Written bymarmary January 22, 2011

ok for older kids if they can handle very grafic, brutal scenes

the grafic parts were even too much for me as a parent. I could not beleive the PG-13 rating given for this movie.