Parent reviews for Tulsa

Tulsa Poster Image

THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER

It's worth it! Great story, good actors. It's not boring at all, it's just a GREAT MOVIE. YOU MUST WATCH IT. Don't allow negative comments to influence you, people that were disappointed, it was because they allowed their personal religious views, to stop them to enjoy the great beauty that this movie carries. Pathetic negative opinions that are not sustainable enough to make sense. Watch the movie, YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!
2 people found this helpful.

Real life isn't smooth.

I don't like the way this website is organized. There are 5 parent reviews, four of them positive, but the rating displayed on top is two stars because of your "expert" reviewer. Who obviously doesn't understand the foster system, or being a Christian. Yes this movie has mature themes but sometimes you have to go amongst the unwashed to save souls.
1 person found this helpful.

Inspiring

This movie inspires us to keep the faith no matter what life brings. Jesus is the light of hope in this film. Loved it.

1 person found this helpful.

A Note About the "Age Rating"

After viewing several advertisements for this movie (on a popular online site), it looked very interesting, and I was concerned that I might never get to see it (it was *That* intriguing!). I finally watched it, and it did not disappoint! If you care about integrity and meaning in films, you simply must, MUST watch this! I might seem to be going a bit "out on a limb" by recommending this film for ages 8 and up. But there's one caveat: This is not the kind of film parents can use as a "babysitter" for a couple hours on a weekend afternoon. Watch it *With* your kids, as a family. (You may wish to preview it yourself first, so that you'll be prepared). Some kids (say, ten and under) may identify somewhat with the main character (played by Livi Birch). Talk with them about what they see. Ask them questions—and then let them ask YOU questions. You may be surprised at what you both learn; and hearts will be opened. ♥ Are there themes (and scenes) that depict and/or center around what some in the entertainment review industry might consider "sensitive" or "adult content"? Sure there are. Child abuse, drug and alcohol abuse—even suicide—is touched upon, if not dealt with in some detail. But unlike with many other, more mainstream films, there is nothing gratuitous here. Sensitive topics are handled sensitively, with redemptive purpose. Nothing negative is "played for laughs"; nothing is glorified, except for the Lover of our souls—the One who writes our daily lives, and supplies our daily needs out of an unseen treasury. This movie will make you smile; it'll make you laugh--and it'll make you cry. Keep plenty of tissues at the ready, just in case.

Repeats harmful messages about how kids are responsible for ending adult addiction

I created a CommonSense Media login just to warn people about this movie, which is manipulative and likely triggering for anyone who has lived with or loved an addict. The film celebrates the parentification of a child (child takes on adult caretaking roles). We see her throwing away his drugs and booze, as if the love of a child is enough to inspire addiction to stop. That's a harmful message to send to kids. I'm a cautious parent, but I'd let me kids play almost any video game before I'd let them hear messages like "If you just love someone enough, they'll stop drinking." To be clear, the film is bad in all kinds of other ways (cheesy dialogue, bad writing, poor acting), but I wouldn't bother writing a review just to say that. It's genuinely abusive to let people think that love conquers addiction. It doesn't, and that message is likely to make anyone who has loved an addict feel worthless.