Parent reviews for Twister

Twister Poster Image

The effects are still impressive 23 years on!

My children are 13 and 11 and we watched this together as a family. I think the language makes it a 12. My son has seen this kind of language in films but it really depends on your child. Overall it's a great action packed film that you can watch with your kids, when many other films are too violent or have way more language issues. The effects are still as impressive as when I saw it as an 18 year old in the cinema in 1996!

2 people found this helpful.

Really good!

Saw this movie when I was 9. I was impressed! A few intense scenes, but I think most kids will be able to handle it. They language isn't too bad, just sh** and son of a b**** sometimes. Though, there is one sentence some younger kids may not understand fully. ("Doesn't want to marry a penis!" the fiancee says) The first scene is probably the most intense, and even that isn't too bad. Not sure why it's 14+...kind of feels like a 10+ on this one. I really enjoy this movie, not going to lie

Exciting movie

I watched this with my 14-year-old who loves scary movies. It was perfect for her. Exciting. Not violent although lots of destruction due to tornados. No sex. A strong woman lead character, who is in charge of a team of men. This character has a trauma history, she lost her father to a tornado as a child (leading to this making her life work trying to better predict tornados). Some perilous scenes.

Rest In Peace Bill Paxton

Twister is my all time favorite movie Rest Peace Bill Paxton Twister Is A Childhood Favorite

Twisters are scary to a lot of kids

Kids under 10 may be too scared to watch this movie.

I First Saw This Movie When I Was 8

I saw this movie for the first time when I was 8 years old. It was the first pg-13 movie my dad let me watch with him. I remember enjoying the tornado chasing scenes and the action. Things I don't remember: the sex therapist, the language, the violence. The only scenes that still creep me out are the very beginning scene and the drive-in movie scene . When I was 8, the talk about the girlfriend being a sex therapist went over my head so I didn't even question that. The language was no more than what I'd heard my parents say and the violence, I dot know why, but I didn't really see it back then. Most things go over kids' heads so there's a lot of worry by parents for no reason. I think this movie is appropriate for 11 and up overall even though I was younger when I first saw it.

Spine chilling fun!

Twister is a lot of fun to watch if you like realistic thrillers. It is also emotional. I love that it's action packed and full of adventure. Jo (Helen Hunt) and her ex-husband Bill (Bill Paxton) still have a "thing" for each other, but Bill is engaged to a reproductive therapist who comes along for a few rides. After building their new invention to use on the twisters to gain data, they chase twisters to try it out and see if it works, but they compete with another crew who have also built a device and the two teams must race to see who's invention works best. Meanwhile, Jo and Bill are falling in love all over again. There is a lot of violent and frightening scenes including death, being hit by flying debris, a house caving in on an old woman, chase scenes, screaming but little gore...etc. No sexual stuff to worry about except that Bill's fiance is a reproductive therapist and while talking on her cell, you hear her say "penis" twice. Frequent language with one "F" word, name calling between groups of people. Perfectly fine for teens who like thrillers, 15 and up is recommended due to violence & language!

Ruined movie with terrible dialoge.

This movie is not too scary for children but the language is terrible. The "g** d**n" reference used multiple times is inappropriate for children. Talks about getting drunk, being naked and throwing liquor bottles at tornadoes. The "f" word is used along with "s** of a b****". Absolutely not a movie for children. Sad, because otherwise the acting is great.