Parent and Kid Reviews on

Unbroken Poster Image
Our Review

Based on 9 parent reviews

Sort by:

Certainly not a feel good movie, but worth the watch.

This is a fairly graphic movie and there are plenty of scenes showing torturous abuse, including beatings, verbal harangues, and psychological attacks; some of it is quite difficult to watch - But it was also a good movie to watch regarding world history. It had my two teenage boys very engaged 17 and 19. A movie about being strong and courageous in the midst of pain and sorrow. Certainly not a feel good movie, but worth the watch. There was no sex - always a plus when watching a movie with my sons.

1 person found this helpful.

Very Good

The book is as good as the movie. The movie is awesome and has good role models and a awesome message. There are some scenes of action and not a lot of swearing. Spoiler: The movie also has a message of hope in the end because Louie sets up a camp for boys and helps boys like him find a passion and Louie forgives "The Bird" and the other soldiers that beat him when he was a POW.

1 person found this helpful.

Great story, emotional intensity may be high for some.

Louis Zamparini’s story is amazing, with many lessons to take away on US history, personal discipline, moral and physical courage, civic duty, etc. A large amount of time was spent on his time adrift, which made the film drag. I wish that had been shortened and some post-war experiences had been included. At times the depictions of torture/beatings of prisoners was intense and overly drawn out. Much of the physical contact was out of frame so the time needed to make the point in exact instance could have been significantly cut. While the violence is certainly not worth an R rating, the ferocity and intensity make this more suitable for 14-15 year olds. Even then, it could be too much for kids and adults who are sensitive to violence and depictions of pain. We had to fast forward over several scenes.

Powerful but unsettling

I found it a powerful story with a strong message. My 18 year old son watched it with me and enjoyed the story and the portrayal of the main character, but my 16 year daughter and wife found it too disturbing and left half-way through the move, emotionally drained.

What an inspirational story.

Other than an implied "peeking up girls skirts from under the bleachers" scene that was actually over my child's head, I don't recall any other sexually inappropriate scenes. I believe there was some bad language somewhere, but it wasn't constant. The war and prison camp scenes were not overly bloody. It was the first time for my children to watch this type of show. However, I guided my children through the movie and found that they handled it fine with discussions. It was a true story that was told well.

inspiring

An eye opening and captivating movie, Unbroken is a true story that really makes you think about human race on a deeper level, check it out

Good but not great

My husband and I went to see Unbroken with our 17 yo and 10 yo. I read the book a couple of years ago and was fascinated with Lou Zamperini's story. The book was transfixing; it was unbelievable all that Zamperini went through, came through. His story is beyond inspiring. Anyway, we took our 10 yo because she's a pretty mature kid and has seen other PG-13 movies with no problem. Unbroken, however, in my opinion, should have been rated R. I don't understand the ratings system sometimes. Movies like The King's Speech are rated R when they should be PG-13 (in this case, it was R in theaters, PG-13 on DVD; go figure). Unbroken the film focused mainly on 2 parts of Laura Hillenbrand's book: Zamperini's time at sea with fellow soldiers for almost 50 days after their plane went down and his time as a POW. It was incredibly violent. This movie is not for squeamish kids or any kids under 11 or 12. There was so much more to his story from the book, I think they could have done more with Zamperini's amazing story besides all the abuse and torture he endured at sea and from the Japanese. My 10 yo and I spent the last hour of the movie in the theater game room. Certainly not the movie's fault; I did read reviews beforehand and knew what we were getting into and knew we might have to hang out in the lobby. All of that to say, I do highly recommend the movie. Zamperini's story should be seen by many; I just don't think the movie did it justice; but then it might've taken a good 3 or 4 hours to tell this guy's story!

Zamperini's story is incredible, the movie is rough to watch

Not rough in terms of being a really bad movie, but the endless, pervasive suffering Louis Zamperini was forced to undertake. The movie is at least, at the very least 40% dedicated to Louis getting tortured, humiliated and beaten, mostly by the sadistic Japanese man known as the Bird. Now, let me say, that Takamasa Ishihara and of course, Jack O'Connell are great as the Bird and Louis. O'Connell especially makes this movie very watchable, bringing a charisma to this man who refuses to bend, a patriot without being obnoxious, as we see that he was a kid who got in trouble a lot. My big beef is that this may be not fitting enough a tribute to this man who endured so much. We get 15 minutes of his childhood and nearly an hour of the man getting withered down. Still, O'Connell's performance and the visual shots of the aerial sequences tip this movie over to being pretty good. I am shocked though, that this didn't receive an R rating. So "Nebraska," a movie with two f-words in it is adults-only where 13 year olds can see a man whipped and beaten for 60 minutes? Strange times we live in.

American Hero