Parent and Kid Reviews on

Uncle Buck Poster Image
Our Review

Based on 40 kid reviews

Sort by:

A hilarious 80’s classic that is one of my all time favorites.

If people 12 or 13 and up haven’t seen this, you are really missing out. This comedy is about a bachelor uncle who has to babysit the kids. It is hilarious, and awesome. This stars John Candy, as the titular character. He delivers an excellent performance as the bum uncle. The supporting cast, including Macaulay Culkin (Home Alone) also do solid performances. The scene with the golf ball is funny, the principal scene is good, and there are many other humorous scenes. I recommend this to people ages 12 or 13, and up. But, parents need to know that just because I recommended this, doesn’t mean there aren’t any scenes you have to skip. Because there are two scenes, one that’s a bit crude. And the other scene, just take my advice, and fast-forward. Positive Messages: There are plenty, but I don’t really have time to sit and explain. Violence: Not a problem, just slapstick. Including a funny scene which I mentioned earlier but am not going to spoil. Sex: A couple situations. The eldest niece’s boyfriend wants to (have sex) with her, and it’s implied. That’s why Uncle Buck teases him a bunch. A humorous scene, which isn’t too bad for 12, involves him trying to get the washing machine to work, and he uses the “S.O.B” word, and a neighbor comes in and accuses him of talking dirty to someone. Also, Macaulay Culkin’s character asks the oldest niece if she’s “waiting for her sex”. One scene involves a mildly (not “wildly”!!) crude conversation between the main character and his girlfriend. The scene starts with the audio message after he says he misses her. But then, he talks about giving people names, (yes, for example, “Mickey” and “Minnie”) for her private parts. But he doesn’t use the curse words for the areas. It finishes when Uncle Buck says, “Felix is what we named your—“, then, the scene cuts to the front of the house and a cat meows in the front yard. (You might want to mute some of the rude dialogue, or skip, your choice. This might be ok for 13+.) But the scene you have to skip, is when the niece’s boyfriend is sleeping with another girl. They don’t have sex, but skip every segment of that scene, when they’re in the bedroom. This is a short scene, and there is no nudity, but I hear there is a brief glimpse of “panties”. The inappropriate scene ends when you see a drill buzzing through the doorknob. Language: There is some. The “s” word is used about 16 times. The “a” word is used 5 times. The “S.O.B” word is used 4 times. The “G.D” word is used 4 times, twice by kids. One time when the littlest girl says the “G.D” word in class, she’s corrected by her teacher. And, as predictable as it is, as I say this in almost every review where I mention this, I recommend you please mute that word. One use of the b-word #2 (look in my Happy Gilmore review to find out what that means). Also, a humorous scene occurs when Macaulay Culkin’s character asks who’s babysitting them when their parents are gone, when he finds out who it is, he says that their dog’s a “*ball* sniffer”. After his mother tells him not to talk like that, he says the word twice more because he can’t think of the proper word for “man areas”. He asks what another word is, the dad doesn’t answer. But the funny part is, as soon as he leaves the room, the kid snaps his finger and says, “Nuts!”. Drinking or Drugs: Not a problem. A drunk clown visits a kid’s birthday party, and is punched by Uncle Buck. And, Uncle Buck smokes cigars. Anyways, good movie for 12+, if you edit the two main scenes I was talking about. For 13+, they can own this movie and the only scene they really “have” to skip, is the bedroom scene. That’s why I listed this for 13 and up. Announcement: By the way, this is my 29th review, and my last review until April 26. Some of you might ask “Why would I do that?”. I’ve got an answer. Because I want to save my 30th CSM review for Avengers: Endgame, when it comes out. I just think it’s special enough to be my 30th review. Yes, I’m seeing it the day it comes out. I'm not sure if I would consider this a hiatus, but I’m just saving my 30th review for that movie, which I’ve waited since September 2018 for it to come out. So I hope everyone enjoyed this review. See you all again on April 26th!!!! The review should be here by April 26, at 3 PM. I’m going to an 11 AM showing. Yes, I already got tickets.

1 person found this helpful.

Love this film, watched it for the first time when I was like 8 and it is just amazing, I would never say no to watching this film.

Honestly, I'm surprised it's PG and not pg-13. Most of it flew over the kids heads but if you get it, you get it. There was a lot of swearing too, so I would recommend 13+

Cool!

Classic 80s movie, a big guy with a big heart!!

uncle buck

uncle buck is a hilarious family comedy as uncle buck takes charge of the house for a week. this is a great movie and i would highly recommend it

A surprisingly low rating for a funny movie.

(Watched on VHS) Uncle Buck is an amazing family mov- just kidding, I don't know how the hell this movie is rated PG. With one intimate scene, a good amount of swearing, and sex jokes, this is easily one of the worst rated movies, WHAT WAS THE MPAA SMOKING?! In all seriousness, this movie is hilarious, but I'd give a 15+, it's simply not for children.

80's movie that has some Profanity and sexual content

Profanity: Moderate Sex: Moderate Nudity: None Violence: Mild Other: Mild/Moderate Drinking

Uncle buck is a heart warming yet hallarious movie starring John Candy (buck) a lovable and irrasponsible uncle who comes to stay when his brother needs a babysitter. The film follows buck and the children as they grow to care for each other and right from the start buck shows his natural protective instincts over the children. His ways of persuading the children especially the eldest is funny and relateable as we all remember our parents stories of how they defiantly know if you've brushed your teeth properly. There are a few scene with sex references and irresponsible behaviour young children may not be comfortable watching however if the parent feels they have educated their child(ren) on these topics it is a fun family film all can enjoy.

Not my favorite John hughes movie

Decent but not the best movie John hughes made.

Lots of swearing, sex, and smoking

At first, I thought this movie would be appropriate. NOT. There is a lot of bad language (such as “sh*t” many times, “g**d*mn”, “d*ldo”, “a*s”, “b**ch” and many more), there is lots of sexual references and scenes (such as a teenage boy taking off a teenage girls clothes in a bed), and LOTS of smoking and drinking. This movie should be PG-13 (if only it was around in the ‘80s) or even R.