All parent member reviews for V for Vendetta

Adult Written byMovie Man August 15, 2009

Intense and Disturbing, but very Well Made for 17+

Parents: This is not an action extravaganza; it is a highly disturbing, complex, and well made sci-fi morality tale with intense politics, provacative material, and some good action sequences. There are many disturbing issues (many of them graphically flash or are protracted on-screen), including torture, mass murder, governments killing hundreds of thousands, experimentation, child molestation, families being taken away from children and tortured/murdered, imprisonment, discrimination against homosexuals, and, finally, anarchy. A child is shot on screen (disturbing). A man is burned alive (his hands are seen on-screen; quite frightening). The action can get rough too; throats are slit, chests are impaled, people are smashed against floors and walls, etc. But, if you can stomach this material (and there is something almost constantly disturbing going on), then you should be in for a rare film that puzzles the mind, makes you think, and best of all, shocks you with two great twists in the middle, leaving you eagerly awaiting grand finale. But know this: if you are looking for a spectacular, epic final battle, I'm afraid you must go elsewhere. Otherwise, enjoy!
Adult Written byworkethic April 9, 2008

read the book.

V for Vendetta is based on a graphic novel writen by Alan Moore in the 80s. Many colleges have this book in their curriculum. I have not finished the book myself, but I have noticed the movie adaptation is mostly true to it. But not 100% In the not-so-distant future, the "former united states" as fallen as a result of a futile over-seas war which has crippled much of europe. England has risen into power by way of media manipulation and fear/faith tactics. Their once elected leader assumes role as a totalitarian..."for the people's protection."...after an alledged "biological attack" that killed 80,000 people. Persecution of minority groups, homosexuals and non-christians soon follows. Possession of questionable, offensive or "blacklisted" music, books, art, films and demonstrations of political satire are all punishable by death. Like in any such oppressive society, a revolution is inevidable. As V quotes "The government should fear it's people. The people should never fear their government." V for Vendetta is about the makings of such a revolt. A tortured, but charming soul, V sets out to assasinate the chain of command in the government's regime and pave a way for the people to rise against what's left of it. Meanwhile, he demonstrates his determination as he demolishes government buildings and hi jacks TV stations to announce responsiblity for his actions and broadcast his agenda. On his path, he adopts Evey, the daugther of political activists who were executed for their "crimes." V teaches Evey what it takes to be so driven by an idea that you do not fear dying for it. Children under the age of 15 may not find this movie very appealing. There are many long winded rants in reference to Shakesphere and revolutionary events. The violence, although not terribly gorey, is quick and bloody. The world in which V for Vendetta takes place in, is cruel and desperate. Children and women are often abused by figures of authority with no one (except V) to save them. There is one scene where a little girl is shot dead by a police officer for defacing a Big Brother slogan in her neighborhood. As a result, the people turn against the officer, beating him with shovels and other garden tools. Evey's good friend reveals to her in private that he is "living a lie" as a heterosexual TV host and shows her his private collection of black-listed items included a Quran, a piece of pop art mocking the chancellor, and photographs of his gay lover. Later that night, he is beaten and dragged out of his home by police for a Benny Hill-like stetch he wrote for his show in which he mocked the government's incompetence. While imprisoned, Evey discovered the auto-biography written on toilet paper by a lesbian telling her tale of persecution and imprisonment. In this tragic story, the woman onced lived happily and peacefully with her same-sex partner until police were sent to tear them out of their home, imprisoned, tortured and put to death. This is the same case for most character's background stories. There is a lot of pain, anger and fear throughout the movie, which younger viewers may not understand. But the happy ending is that they all become free to be who they truely are. Free of fear and free of persecution. These are ideas that people kill and die for everyday. Overall, the story is touching, revelant and smart. It takes some deal of understanding both historical and current events to appreciate V's violent resolve without condoning the violence itself.
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byBrandi44 June 5, 2011

What are some of these people talking aboout?

First of all, the only reason this should be R is because of the storyline that is probably too complicated for younger kids. But if you are rating the content, this movie could be PG-13. Seriously guys? Whoever thinks you should be 17 and older to watch this film are WAY to protective over there kids... Anyways, great movie worth watching if your 13 and over so you understand this movie.
Adult Written byCaseyJones October 18, 2015

This a little ridiculous

2 STARS!!!! THAT IS RIDICULOUS! THIS MOVIE IS BEAUTIFUL! I AM 14 AND HERE IS WHAT I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THIS MOVIE. This is by far, one of the most symbolic, and well written films in existence. It personifies, some of the world's biggest problems in 2hrs and 13 minutes. It is an omnibus of personal accountability, collective accountability, freedom, happiness, values, ideas and identity. It is based on the well known graphic novel, written by none other than Alan Moore. V for Vendetta is a movie that is set in an alternate dystopian Britain society, run by a corrupt fascist government that has risen to great power. V, a caped man that wears a Guy Fawkes mask, who is both charismatic, articulate and skilled in combat. Stumbles upon an attempted rape, between secret police and victim Evey Hammond. When V steps in, and saves Evey, she later becomes his unlikely ally who is introduced to her society, and governments cruelty and her role in it. V is a deadly vigilante, who embodies the principles of rebellion from an authoritarian state. Who idealizes a hope, a future in which people are not afraid of their government, but alas the government, fears their people. 2 stars my ass. This movie deserves more then 2 measly stars. and the 2 "sex scenes" would go over most kids heads because it doesn't even show anyone having sex or nudity. They are both attempted, and nothing even happens. The one scene with the police, the police man hints that he will make her soar. Which most children wouldn't catch on to that. Then, the scene with the bishop, he hints that he thinks she is role playing and he pushes her onto the bed and kind of puts himself on top of her, but then she sacs his and he starts cussing at her. Hell some of the music videos 12 year olds watch now days have more sexual content in them in 2 minutes then this movie has. It is also important children know what rape is. I would not recommend this movie to anyone under the age of 13 only because the message the movie is trying to send may not register.
Adult Written byvincethakid September 4, 2015
Parent of a 12 year old Written bybobdylan July 10, 2009

N for Not For Kids

I liked it a lot but i think it's messages may go over some kids' heads and i thought that the throat-slashing finale was WAY overdone, not too mention the many bad words and the sexual implications.
Adult Written byTHE DESTROYER OF ALL August 26, 2015
Parent of a 7, 16, and 17 year old Written byMild Mom May 22, 2011

SHOCKED to read review from 9 yearl old!

I can't believe your first review comes from a 9 year old! Where are the parents of this child. Obviously watches loads of inappropriate material to think the violence wasn't bad. There is no way a child this age can understand the message, its pretty heavy content for an adult! Am a bit concerned that my just turned 16 year old has had to do a film study of this at school!
Adult Written bykvanduyse May 20, 2015

So Awesome!

I love this movie for what it is. A great movie about taking action into your own hands. How to be a leader. This guy is awesome. There are some things i wish weren't in it but still a good movie. Everyone knows how much they can handle... if you don't like violence, don't watch it. I think this is an awesome movie, I was surprised thats its R rated...
Adult Written byNeonKennedy November 10, 2011

Violence is not heavy. A few brief swear words probably wont have a negative affect on kids.

I see V for Vendetta as a political film. The audience might start to question the main characters actions as the film progresses. Taking place in London, the surrounding environment has a big problem with human rights and equality. The society is corrupt. The movie focuses the spotlight on the two main characters who decide to bring justice in a way that they believe is proper.
Adult Written bybethlthomson April 9, 2008
Adult Written byenglishchuck April 10, 2016

Cultus Illogicus

One of the stupidest cliche’s I’ve exposed myself to. Another thinly disguised anti-Christian (the symbol of the oppressors is a double-cross), pro-homosexual propaganda piece that glorifies anarchism. People who are gullible enough to be taken in by this nonsense never look beyond destruction of something they hate to ponder that what replaces it must be simply another form of order. Their whole premise is the possibility of the infallibility and perfection of humans without understanding their innate and total depravity. Sheesh.
Adult Written byLauraEve August 17, 2011

Review

Violence is medium, there is one very gruesome scene which lasts for about 6 minutes, and some scenes near the beginning where violence is present. . Death is an issue, but done without gore. There are scenes of woman dancers in revealing, feather covered costumes on two occasions, and the beginning scene there is a short shot where the main character is in her bra.
Adult Written byRachel D April 9, 2008

Excellent thinker

I was really impressed with the complexity of this movie and it makes you think. There is a lot of violence so be warned but the overall plot and issues it addresses are very relevant to today.
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 May 5, 2016

Thought-provoking anarchist film gets bloody

While I do agree with CSM that some of the messages and symbolism get a little heavy-handed (it's the sisters who did "The Matrix" after all), the visual and story components of "V for Vendetta" were just wonderful. Hugo Weaving gives a stunning vocal performance as the elusive V, and Natalie Portman an emotionally draining one. The movie (its message and now mainly its mask) has taken on such a big role in our current society as a sort of opposition against hatred/the government, and it speaks a lot of volumes that it was able to spark as much attention as it did. Though some parts seem a little unbelievable, you get caught up in the "1984"-esque world these characters are living in. It's a great modern epic for the digital age.
Educator and Parent Written bygorgeguy July 7, 2013

I approve!

They say there is no positive messages? I heartily disagree. The British government is corrupt and what will change it? Definitely not voting. For kids, there are many violent movies out there with obvious bad guys and the good guy always wins. The bad guys in this are less clear, but again gives the viewer a chance to think is V's actions are right or too extreme? I agree that it is violent, but the message of stopping a truly corrupt regime (think of America between 2000 - 2008) via "any means necessary" does prove somewhat instructive. While the climax does make me pause, I was truly thrilled with V's effort to create change.
Parent Written byThemp4wiz4rd May 3, 2012

Great movie. Helps teach your children to think for themselves, and to share their ideas.

The point of this movie wasn't what you were seeing. There was an underlying message that this entire review has missed. Violence was simply the artist's medium to convey the idea to not believe everything you see, and to question everything you think. Yes, the medium is crude, but it is realistic. This is a great movie to show to 15+ year olds who are capable of self-thought. If the child has had information spoon fed to them their entire life, then it moves from a great movie up to a must-see. How Cynthia Fuchs managed to miss such a phenomenal moral that everyone should learn at one point or another is baffling, and aside from the violence, V (the main character) would make a decent role model. I would suggest showing your children how Ghandi prevailed in the same way as V, but without the violence. For it is truly the same story. Hope you enjoy it.
Adult Written byeat_trucks January 5, 2010

Troubling and almost insightful.

Brings up interesting questions, though I wish it had spent more time looking at the politics and people's willingness to surrender freedom out of fear. Lot's of violence. But a very enjoyable movie.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bymessenger December 13, 2008

this is not a kids movie but not why you think

so many reviews lose the message of the moviebut the real fact is the movie does have violence and sex but the thing is the movie message is more about how ideas never die and we deserve our rights i think violence solves nothing permently but some times you have to change it with violence for peace to even have a chance existing this movie is deep and thought provoking that raises many moral points like what would you do for peace by what means all parents like me should watch this movie and figure out if your kid will see it for more then just another movie with knives but for the message it holds
Adult Written byorcadin9 March 27, 2009

good movie, why R???

i think that this movie isn't that bad and shouldn't be rated R I know that it's violent but not realistic.