Parent reviews for V for Vendetta

Complex but heavy-handed action film. Adults only.

Adult Written byJeffTheRat May 11, 2020

Good

If you are with a parent you can watch this a 8 whoever said you have to be 18 is way of i have seen way worse moves like IT is rated 15+ and this get an 18 if your what to watch it by your self you should be 11 it is not bad a all and the first fast and furious is way worse then this and it is pg-13 not R so some one really mess up by saying 18 he properly was a rookie because rookies always mess up the only kinda of bad is there is one kinda of violence scene but is not that bad if your kid wants to watch a R move this is the least worst R movie i ever seen and i have been watching then for over 20 years the only reason this is R because It it uses the F word twice but you can't really hear The them
Adult Written byNeonKennedy November 10, 2011

Violence is not heavy. A few brief swear words probably wont have a negative affect on kids.

I see V for Vendetta as a political film. The audience might start to question the main characters actions as the film progresses. Taking place in London, the surrounding environment has a big problem with human rights and equality. The society is corrupt. The movie focuses the spotlight on the two main characters who decide to bring justice in a way that they believe is proper.
Adult Written byLauraEve August 17, 2011

Review

Violence is medium, there is one very gruesome scene which lasts for about 6 minutes, and some scenes near the beginning where violence is present. . Death is an issue, but done without gore. There are scenes of woman dancers in revealing, feather covered costumes on two occasions, and the beginning scene there is a short shot where the main character is in her bra.

Adult Written byiiFreyja1 June 3, 2020

Really? 2 stars?

There is no reason why this movie should be rated 2 stars. It is possibly the most impactful movie about fighting government oppression that there is. I’m not going to go into details or spoilers, but this movie can be considered very important for children to understand, ESPECIALLY with what is currently going on in the United States and Hong Kong and other countries as well. Fear of teaching your child about these things can lead to metaphorically crippling them in the future. Do not judge this movie by its (mistakenly given) 2 star review by an “expert.” It can be violent at some areas toward the innocent, but most violence depicted in this movie is not needless violence.

Adult Written byJoe1234BJF February 13, 2020

V For Vendetta

Can Be educational not a lot of swearing either.

Adult Written bystretchsje November 5, 2019

One of the greatest movies of all time

I could do a deep drive on the philosophy behind V, but at minimum I think it clearly gives a lot to talk about. There's the omnipotent government. The pragmatist is able to disrupt its monopoly of force with his own form of violence. But there is real beauty in this movie. Yes, it is bloody, but so too are war movies which can be equally provocative and worthy of discussion.

I'm against gratuitous violence but at some point kids need to learn that governments use it as a tool, as a means to an end. The real Guy Fawkes was indeed going to blow up Parliament, and when he was captured, he was tortured. So in a way, I find V for Vendetta more violent, yet more valuable and teachable, than- for example- a Pokemon cartoon. I'd put The Patriot (Mel Gibson movie) in the same group, for example.

Overall, fantastic movie that I am excited to show my kids some day... but not quite yet.

Written byAnonymous November 21, 2018

The butt review

A fine sci fi movie. There is some sex but full of action. This movie is probably for older teens and not really for young kids.
Adult Written byMovie Man August 15, 2009

Intense and Disturbing, but very Well Made for 17+

Parents: This is not an action extravaganza; it is a highly disturbing, complex, and well made sci-fi morality tale with intense politics, provacative material, and some good action sequences. There are many disturbing issues (many of them graphically flash or are protracted on-screen), including torture, mass murder, governments killing hundreds of thousands, experimentation, child molestation, families being taken away from children and tortured/murdered, imprisonment, discrimination against homosexuals, and, finally, anarchy. A child is shot on screen (disturbing). A man is burned alive (his hands are seen on-screen; quite frightening). The action can get rough too; throats are slit, chests are impaled, people are smashed against floors and walls, etc. But, if you can stomach this material (and there is something almost constantly disturbing going on), then you should be in for a rare film that puzzles the mind, makes you think, and best of all, shocks you with two great twists in the middle, leaving you eagerly awaiting grand finale. But know this: if you are looking for a spectacular, epic final battle, I'm afraid you must go elsewhere. Otherwise, enjoy!

Adult Written byMomGamr July 11, 2020

Ignore the 2 stars, this movie is excellent.

This movie's rating is way too low. 2 stars is ridiculous. The photography, dialogue, intrigue, action, musical score and special effects are excellent. That said, I would recommend it for older teens for the following reasons:
1)Complicated politics: involving corruption, intrigue, sabotage. Themes that might be harder for kids under 14 to understand. (But if your child is interested in these topics he/she may really enjoy it.)
2)Sexual violence/Torture. There isn't any on-screen sexual violence, but the threats of it are present, as in real life. The torture is emotionally intense, but limited. Showing this in the political context is important. Ugly, but important.
3)Bloody violence. There isn't alot of it. Some of it is generalized, like what you would see in any action film or video game with guns, and some of it is up close (the context is revenge), so, its disturbing, but not gory (some blood, no guts).
Ultimately, it's a political film about extreme governments and their players: from the head of the government on down public workers. It explores the actions people take (supporting it, accepting it or resisting it or fighting against it).

Adult Written byJonhRambo May 13, 2020

Adult Written byjcmcdowell December 21, 2019

Absolutely incredible!

This is a very powerful film that really makes you think. It is one of my most favorite films of all time! I also love the Guy Fawkes mask and researching the history behind it. You are exaggerating by giving it an age recommendation of 18+. There is a little bit of swearing, but it’s not too terrible. It’s not a film that only adults can handle. Teens may need guidance from their parents in order to understand the storyline, but the violence isn’t explicit enough to be only for adults.

Adult Written byMatthew D. April 9, 2018

Honestly

I'll start off that this is not for people who are uncomfortable with any suggestive themes. Disregarding that, It's an obsolutely amazing film, "V" was a very brilliant character, was not a huge fan of Natalie Portman's acting in this film.

Parent of a 4 and 8-year-old Written byAmelie L. February 3, 2018

Intense and Graphic, but also Inspiring

V is a terrorist. That’s the first thing you should know. He is a terrorist and his goal is similar to Guy Fawkes in that he wants to blow up parliament.

He does however fight for the people and their freedoms from a fascist police state not too dissimilar from Nazi Germany.

Political opposition is met with the death penalty as is homosexuality and being non-Christian.

V quotes philosophers of the American Revolution when staying a “government should fear it’s people and the people fear not their government.” Later he will also mention that he will not be defeated by bullets because “behind this mask is an idea and you cannot kill an idea.” Showing his perseverance, despite being called a lunatic and (rightfully so) a terrorist. He is deeply political and believes in personal freedoms but is willing to go to extremely gruesome extremes to attain those freedoms. Although he is compassionate at times and has empathy he is also cold and distant and willing to torture someone he considers a friend.

In one particular group of scenes V subjects Evey to psychological torture for which she rightfully gets upset at him.

In the end he has inspired the people of England to fight back against oppression and for their freedoms after he has murdered quite a few people and bombed two government buildings.

Parents can talk about whether V’s actions were justified or whether he should’ve found another way to fight back and about how one person can inspire enough people to make significant change.

Adult Written bysunnygirl67 November 9, 2017

Definitely not for kids...

The ONLY reason I watched this is because my daughter who is in eighth grade came home with a permission slip to watch this movie for English class. Isn't that nice? Isn't it enough that we have to deal with peer pressures? Of all the gazillion movies out there, why on earth would a teacher choose this one?

Adult Written byBestPicture1996 May 5, 2016

Thought-provoking anarchist film gets bloody

While I do agree with CSM that some of the messages and symbolism get a little heavy-handed (it's the sisters who did "The Matrix" after all), the visual and story components of "V for Vendetta" were just wonderful. Hugo Weaving gives a stunning vocal performance as the elusive V, and Natalie Portman an emotionally draining one. The movie (its message and now mainly its mask) has taken on such a big role in our current society as a sort of opposition against hatred/the government, and it speaks a lot of volumes that it was able to spark as much attention as it did. Though some parts seem a little unbelievable, you get caught up in the "1984"-esque world these characters are living in. It's a great modern epic for the digital age.

Adult Written byCaseyJones October 18, 2015

This a little ridiculous

2 STARS!!!! THAT IS RIDICULOUS! THIS MOVIE IS BEAUTIFUL! I AM 14 AND HERE IS WHAT I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THIS MOVIE.
This is by far, one of the most symbolic, and well written films in existence. It personifies, some of the world's biggest problems in 2hrs and 13 minutes. It is an omnibus of personal accountability, collective accountability, freedom, happiness, values, ideas and identity. It is based on the well known graphic novel, written by none other than Alan Moore. V for Vendetta is a movie that is set in an alternate dystopian Britain society, run by a corrupt fascist government that has risen to great power. V, a caped man that wears a Guy Fawkes mask, who is both charismatic, articulate and skilled in combat. Stumbles upon an attempted rape, between secret police and victim Evey Hammond. When V steps in, and saves Evey, she later becomes his unlikely ally who is introduced to her society, and governments cruelty and her role in it. V is a deadly vigilante, who embodies the principles of rebellion from an authoritarian state. Who idealizes a hope, a future in which people are not afraid of their government, but alas the government, fears their people. 2 stars my ass. This movie deserves more then 2 measly stars.
and the 2 "sex scenes" would go over most kids heads because it doesn't even show anyone having sex or nudity. They are both attempted, and nothing even happens. The one scene with the police, the police man hints that he will make her soar. Which most children wouldn't catch on to that. Then, the scene with the bishop, he hints that he thinks she is role playing and he pushes her onto the bed and kind of puts himself on top of her, but then she sacs his and he starts cussing at her. Hell some of the music videos 12 year olds watch now days have more sexual content in them in 2 minutes then this movie has. It is also important children know what rape is. I would not recommend this movie to anyone under the age of 13 only because the message the movie is trying to send may not register.

Adult Written byvincethakid September 4, 2015
Adult Written byTHE DESTROYER OF ALL August 26, 2015
Adult Written bykvanduyse May 20, 2015

So Awesome!

I love this movie for what it is. A great movie about taking action into your own hands. How to be a leader. This guy is awesome. There are some things i wish weren't in it but still a good movie. Everyone knows how much they can handle... if you don't like violence, don't watch it. I think this is an awesome movie, I was surprised thats its R rated...
Adult Written bygorgeguy July 7, 2013

I approve!

They say there is no positive messages? I heartily disagree. The British government is corrupt and what will change it? Definitely not voting.

For kids, there are many violent movies out there with obvious bad guys and the good guy always wins. The bad guys in this are less clear, but again gives the viewer a chance to think is V's actions are right or too extreme?

I agree that it is violent, but the message of stopping a truly corrupt regime (think of America between 2000 - 2008) via "any means necessary" does prove somewhat instructive. While the climax does make me pause, I was truly thrilled with V's effort to create change.