All parent member reviews for Walking with Dinosaurs

Parent of a 3 year old Written bybrandelyn May 7, 2014

My preschooler's favorite!

This is my dinosaur-obsessed three-year-old's very favorite show - she loves to watch them one episode at a time or to binge-watch them when sick. She definitely snuggles into us and we have to explain things in matter-of-fact language (the sauropods getting burned alive is a rough part for her, as is everytime a baby gets eaten), but she continues to request it and enjoys it. Know your kid - I certainly wouldn't show this to ANY three year old - but it works well for mine!
Parent Written bypbryden April 26, 2012

Walking with Dinosaurs a true delight for the Dino-Crazed

This is such an amazing show, but might scare the little ones who are not head-over-heels dinosaur crazy. Our budding palaeontologist was only five when watching them for the first time and no nightmares to report. The violence is not gratuitous, and is only used to demonstrate scientific facts. If you are shielding your kids from the truth about how the food chain really works, both historically and today, then (shame on you) perhaps this isn't your cup of tea.
Adult Written byFeathered One April 15, 2015

Science has marched on, but the visuals haven't

The most frustrating of all dinosaur documentaries, WWD could've been the perfect media source for paleo-education. Unfortunately, it is plagued with an astonishing amount of errors that could've been rectified in the time it wa s being developed (the late nineties). Please do not let your kids view this as a reliable source: it isn't. For example, the T. rex has a badly deformed skull, shortened tail, the Dromaeosaurus lacks feathers (we knew that dinosaurs had feathers back then), Australovenator is improperly referred as a 'polar allosaur' (chalk that one up to time; Australovenator wasn't named back then) among other things. As for aesthetics, it's perfect. The visuals convince the viewers these are real animals, with a well done blend of life-size puppetry and computer-generated graphics. As for kid-appropriateness, there is a rather copious amount of breeding and gore, and the episode Cruel Sea is extremely scary, with the beefed-up (I say beefed-up because the real creature wasn't as big) Liopleurodon constantly savaging the camera at every turn, and Spirits of the Ice Forest has, for a documentary, an incredible feeling of surrealism and ominosity (and a brief decapitation scene) that may invoke anxiety in younger views. However, it should be noted that this is THE dino-doc, the one that started it all, and, surprisingly, is one of the best despite being fifteen years old.
Adult Written bySaqr April 9, 2008
Educator and Parent of a 3 and 7 year old Written bykitkat2 January 30, 2011

Educational, informative and hugely entertaining

My 3 year old and 7 year old have watched the series over and over again. They have been fascinated by dinosaurs all their lives. The series are educational, have an intriguing story and the technical effects are amazing. If you children love this they will also love the Nigel Marvin series.
Parent Written byPlague December 18, 2009

Walking With Dinosaurs

I loved this movie when I watched it. Fun and educational.
Parent of a 6, 7, and 9 year old Written bysmille June 8, 2009
While violent, this is "nature" violence, in a documentary style, that has captured my kids' imaginations for years.