Parent reviews for War Room

Faith-based drama deals with marital discord, infidelity.

Parent of a 15 and 16-year-old Written bymelissap3 September 4, 2015

Superb movie about the power of prayer

War Room is another well-done movie by the Kendrick brothers. I was privileged to read a copy of the novelization of this movie (by Chris Fabry) before it came out and was very impressed and challenged about my prayer life. I highly recommend this for adults for sure.

I would caution you against taking younger children to this movie. There are some definite adult themes about marriage and deeper marriage issues: the husband comes very close to committing adultery, and their marriage goes through some serious struggles. There's also a fairly scary moment with a robbery that might frighten young children. During our showing, there were many families with quite young children in attendance. Some sat directly behind us and those who appeared to be under 10 were fidgety, got up and down, and complained they were bored. Although the message is positive overall, you should really think about the age of your child and whether a drama such as this is appropriate for their development and maturity level.

Adult Written byLauraDiaz September 4, 2015

Knocked My Socks Off!

I have seen a slew of "Christian" genre-based movies, and I confess, I have been quite critical of them. Cheesy-lines, unbelievable plot, low-quality camera-work (director issues usually). I've always thought that the actors themselves did a fine job with what they had to work. My issues have always stemmed from the screenwriting and directing faux pas'.

That said, I did not go into this with high expectations. I went in expecting the quality of prior "Christian" movies. Kind of like I do when I watch a movie based from a book. I don't expect it to be exactly like the book, so therefore, I'm not the critic who will complain that it not the book.

This blew me away!
Acting: So good you don't feel like you're watching actors, if you know what I mean. And that is good!

Script Dialogue: Lines are not cheese-filled, but true to characters and the dialog feels genuine and like the words you would hear actual people speak... not just cheesy cliche's. If there are cliche's, they are only there because they are the ones that we actually use in "real life." And let me tell you, as a continuous student of language and linguistics, people use cliche's and tired figurative language or euphemisms more often than they think they do!

Plot: It moves along at a wonderful pace and in a logical way. You do not feel as if you wish they'd "get to the point already;" or as if, they "rushed that scene" and so therefore, it doesn't work for audiences. In fact, although I am known for always looking for a slow spot to "exit to the ladies room" because of my large-diet-Dr. Pepper-movie-going-tradition, I was so engrossed in this film that I didn't even notice that I REALLY had to go until it was all over!

Camera work/directing: One of my peeves, tell-tal signs of a low-budget movie for me, is camera angle, lack of close-ups or scenes being filmed from just one angle. This movie does NOT have those. I did have trouble at first with the (only my personal opinion) too-many closeups; but I was soon (within just a couple of minutes) so engrossed in the story and the characters that I forgot about that tiny flaw. This particular issue is something that I have noticed in other blockbusters. I guess what I'm trying to say, is that as you watch it, you do not "feel" as if you are watching a "low-budget" film at all! And that, if it actually IS made with a low-budget as this was, is AMAZING! For that to happen, the directors, actors, and all involved, HAVE to be uber-talented.

Yes, this is written with a lean toward a certain audience. But, when I read reviews that say that, all I can think is, "And your point?!" You see, every book, film, or written article is written with a particular audience in mind. You learn that in third-grade language arts! So, in order to review a film objectively and without bias (which is actually humanly impossible even if you use a rubric as I did) you have to review the film itself and not the message with which you may or may not agree with.

Bottom line: It is a really good family movie, convicting at times, yet encouraging, challenging and thought-provoking.
You will laugh, cheer, cry, be angry, then laugh and cheer again.

Adult Written byBatsisman25429 July 29, 2020

Great faith one

Really good family friendly but strong emotion

Adult Written byMayHeadhurts November 25, 2019

Amazing Christian Movie

Great movie to watch as a family. The way that the dad turnes his life around is amazing! Definitely a do watch! Taking notes.

Adult Written byThe whole truth December 6, 2018

Like No Other

Not only is the camera quality and acting great, the message in this film is really moving.
War Room gives you an interesting life story on marriage and prayer with great characters, emotional and funny moments, and a teaching
that applies to everyone. This is a movie that stays with you.
Though this is a family movie, children may ask questions about certain parts in the movie. There is light talks and an open opportunity for a character to cheat, ( the act itself doesn't happen) stolen pharmaceuticals, and two brief suspense scene.
But overall this film has meaning to it and will leave you impressed. This film is Like No Other.

Parent of a 12-year-old Written byIdela S. March 22, 2017

Awesome

Parent Written bypatrice s. December 18, 2016

Faith

I think, having IMPOSSIBLE FAITH, MAKES LIFE BETTER, EVEN WHEN ALL ODDS. IS AGAINST US.

Adult Written byCamisita March 4, 2016

Great faith based film about the importance of prayer

Inspiring, well written, moving, and tastefully done as it handles the topic of marriage infidelity.

Adult Written byTinkerbell1202 September 14, 2015

Best Movie

This was a great movie It really inspired me to have a quiet time with God everyday to make sure I take the time to pray because prayer does makes a difference!