Parent and Kid Reviews on

Warrior Poster Image
Our Review

Based on 16 kid reviews

Sort by:

Incredible Brotherhood and Broken Family MMA Fighting Movie has amazing meaning and background that ties with Rocky

Organized fighting was a part of the Conlons' lives when brothers, Tommy Conlon and Brendan Conlon, were kids, with their father, Paddy Conlon, their trainer. Tommy has been estranged from both Brendan and Paddy for fourteen years, when Tommy ran off with his mother due to the abuse exacted by alcoholic Paddy. Tommy's gripe with Brendan was not running off with them - which Tommy saw as support for Paddy - instead starting life with his now wife, Tess. To support his family, Brendan now teaches high school science and has largely left his fighting life behind him. After his mother's death, Tommy served time in the military. Tommy returns home to find a changed Paddy, one who has been clean and sober for almost three years and who has rediscovered religion, both which he feels has completely turned his life around from who he was when Tommy left fourteen years ago, although Tommy is not convinced. The lives of the Conlons may intersect when they all fall back into mixed martial arts (MMA), Tommy in trying to discover what his post-military life holds, and as Brendan finds that his teaching is insufficient to pay all the family bills, with fighting and teaching seemingly incompatible. With a $5 million winner-takes-all prize for a MMA tournament as the carrot, Tommy and Brendan and by association Paddy's interrelationships may either be strengthen or further torn apart, both figuratively and literally, if they take part in this very public and potentially violent arena.

this movie is awsome

this is a great movie its sad but Once you see this the movie you will love it

Fantastic, an overlooked gem.

Warrior is a movie about two brothers who both are in-ties with UFC and try to fight there way up to the top. It’s a redemption story with heavy themes of forgiveness and family, and how much they matter. Violence: Heavy MMA violence. Includes punching, and kicking, splashing sweat and some blood, An arm is brutally snapped. Characters are beaten to a pulp. Some are knocked out brutally. Some violence outside of the ring. It is said a character deserted his group in the army. No gore, just MMA violence. Language: One F bomb and some other infrequent foul words. Sex: A character does a fight at a club. Ring girls are shown. Some references. One character is shown in her underwear and a tank top, but that is the extent of it. Consumption: One character is a heavy alcoholic and is shown drinking, to drunkenness. Some smoking. Also, one scene takes place in a casino, and a character is shown sliding coins into a slot machine. Mostly in the background. Extra: As mentioned above there some good role models and great messages about how much family matters.

not violence... it's a sport! would you give wrestling a violence review

I don't think that CSM understands that this is a sport not violence. I think its different if people are fighting on the street, but there is a regulating referee and it is a legitimized sport.

Great, Moving Film About Family and Fighting

This is a compelling drama about MMA and family. The characters all have a reason to do what thy are doing. The ending is very emotional and moving. Since this is also about MMA there is a lot of fight scenes and some are pretty brutal knockouts. There is a little bit of swearing during the film. The main characters' father used to be an alcoholic and he relapses near the end of the film. Tommy, one of the brothers, also drinks a little and has prescription pills on him in the beginning of the film.

Tom Hardy and Joel Edgerton give the performance, and the fight, of a lifetime.

Wow... I just finished watching this movie for the first time and that is about all I can say. I do not personally know much about the UFC and how these cage fights work, but I did not have to. The movie told me all I needed to know. One brother fights for family, and the other fights for his country. This movie should be ranked up in Rocky's category. The UFC is centered around fighting, so of course the issue with violence is that there are multiple fights that range from seconds long to brutal and drawn out for lengths of time. There is not much blood, but the fighting style is intense - with many moves that cause serious pain to the fighters. There is a good amount of language but it is not distasteful. Some of it is exchanged between estranged family members as well. The one f--- was key to a pivotal point in the movie (for those parents who want to be ready for it, the use occurs during the scene in the casino and it is shouted). The brothers' father is a recovering alcoholic (sober for 1000 days) and after an incident with one of his sons he begins to have a little difficulty with his sobriety. There is one scene early on that involves "pill popping". The character is made to give over his pill bottles though, and that is the last time you see anything to do with them. Tom Hardy and Joel Edgerton are brilliant actors. It is not very often that I am moved so much that I tear up and cheer for the characters, but this was one of the few instances where I could not stop myself. The emotion is so real and raw. Great lessons about never giving up and always loving family no matter what are the center aspects of this MMA masterpiece.

Heartwarming and well acted drama has lot's of sports-related violence

Even though Warrior was only released into theaters last September, and than came out on blu-ray and DVD last December, and the film was awash with favorable and positive reviews by critics and audiences alike, I still think that this film was underrated (Gee, there sure are a lot of those, lately!). One big example of that would be the movies crushing box office failure, of only about $13,000,000 in U.S. box office. Oh, well. At ;least the critics recognized it for what it was: A powerful, heartwarming and even heart wrenching movie that isn't so much about the mixed-martial-arts sport, and more about the families of the people who get involved in those fights. Some of the strong acting inn this movie that really surprised me, is the Oscar snubbed performances of Nick Nolte, Tom Hardy and Joe Edgerton, but the one that really surprised me, was Nick Nolte's performance as the two boys father, who platys the role as somewhat comeback for his career, but what surprised me the most was how he was able to evoke so much power and strength from such a subtle performance, and than have everything come together in one big fold in the end of the movie. Now, as much as I enjoyed it, the movie is Rated PG-13, and the following content is pretty much as follows: There is frequent one-on-one violence and fighting in the form of mixed-martial-arts matches and games, but some of it gets very brutal and graphic, particularly in the extended match near the end, which has more than a few bone crunching and cringe inducing moments. Also, there is frequent alcohol consumption from the father character, who later breaks down near the end and is shown to be heavily drunk, but this scene displays the negative effects of drinking. And, finally, there is frequent but fairly average profanity, with several uses of s-t, h-ll, crap, g-dd-mn, d-mn, a--, b-llsh-t and f--k. So, even if you have never seen a second of a mixed-martial-arts game or match, there is no reason that you wouldn't be able to enjoy this movie. It is just that good.

I. LOVE. THIS. MOVIE….and Tom Hardy

Warrior was choreographed fantastically making it extremely believable and exciting. All the fight scenes make you want to jump off your seat and cheer. You're forced into loving all the characters and you end up wanting to know more about them as well as their past. The last fight brought tears to my eyes and it sends such a great message. I absolutely love this move and it's definitely a favorite of mine that i would gladly watch again any day. I don't think its appropriate though for kids under 13 only because of all the swearing and alcoholism. Overall its a great movie that I encourage everyone 13+ to watch! Tom Hardy is also beast in this movie. Looove him!

Loved it!

Definitely a inspirational movie, I loved it! Reminded me of mixed martial arts version of the Rocky films. Anyway... Yes it is violent, especially during the last 2 fight scenes, but not over the top or graphic. and there is some language, most notably about 15 uses of sh-t and a character is told to "get the f--k out of here". If your kids can handle the language and the violence, I definitely reccomend it! There are vey many positive messages in this movie about redemption and forgiveness. Loved every minute of it!

Five out of Five

This defines the genre of Sports Dramas. Strong acting throughout really carries a quality script, along with a great message. The MMA aspect of this movie will turn most parents off, but it shouldn't. I found the violence to be considerably less than was advertised. Even if you think it has excessive violence, you'll completely ignore it because of the strong story, and positive messages. One of the best dramas of this decade.