Kid reviews for Watership Down (1978)

Book-based animated tale has intense peril, violence.

Teen, 15 years old Written byCarFox July 12, 2011

Watch it.

This movie was one of my favorites when I was a kid. It's very violent, and definitely not for young kids, even though I watched it when I was about five because my parents thought it was a cartoon. I think the worst part is when one of the characters gets caught in a snare. He almost dies, but he ends up escaping. However, the imagery was very disturbing: the character started foaming and bleeding from the mouth and his eyes rolled back into his head. Another scene that was really disturbing is when one of the characters is telling the others about what happened to their warren, and it shows a bunch of rabbits trying to escape from their warren, only to find the tunnels blocked by the bodies of dead rabbits. Furthermore, this movie has great role models. The main character Hazel is a smart, diplomatic pacifist who only sends his followers into battle if absolutely necessary. Rather than starting an all-out war with General Woundwort, he proposes that they unite their two warrens for the good of all. Hazel always listens to the other rabbits and only occasionally dismisses his brother, who has prophetic powers. I don't believe that young children would get all of what happens in the movie, but it's still a great film.

Teen, 14 years old Written byCrazyKaulitzWriter March 17, 2011

O.o

This movie was weird. It was very voilent, had lost of bloodshed, and kinda freaked me out. There's one scene that really, really unsettled me. Truth be told, I'd never reccomend this film to anyone with small children. It's just. . . Creepy.

Teen, 13 years old Written byiAbz August 6, 2011

Great but Scary

Although this is a thrilling and wonderful film, there is a lot of parts which may scare children under 12. I watched it when I was 10 and even then I was really frightened and was edgy&bad nightmares for a good few weeks. I would love it, if it wasn't scary and gorey. There is some bad language - a swear word used once or twice. Great film though.

Kid, 9 years old May 27, 2014

WHAT????????

Too many bloody murders! THIS IS NOT FOR KIDS!

Teen, 16 years old Written byimjustwondering March 27, 2011

most disturbing cartoon ever

this movie is way too violent to be giving the illusion that is like bambi this too much for me and i can stand gore and blood i would let any child see this let alone my friends this movie is way too disturbing

Kid, 10 years old December 10, 2010

Perfect For Teens Who Love Horror Flicks, But A Big *NO* For Younger Kids

I don't even have to watch this movie to see how bad and scary it is. DEFINABLY not supposed to be only PG.

Kid, 10 years old February 17, 2010

My advice - watch it at the age of twelve, no problems.

Teen, 16 years old Written byWhite Rose Lioness May 9, 2011
Loved the movie; the ending got me. And I love one of the quotes, "All the world will be your enemy, prince with a thousand enemies, and when they catch you they will kill you. But first... they must catch you." Yes, it is violent sometimes but it really isn't all that scary. Want to see some seriously grizzly scenes in an animated movie? See Felidae; at your own risk. All in all, a great movie the kids will enjoy.

Teen, 14 years old Written bydoctor11 September 16, 2013

Scarring!

scariest most distubing movie of my young child hood. i was scarred by this move and currently im not scared very easly by movies but this move still scares me from watching this at such a young age. my mom wasnt superviseing and since it was about bunnies she thought it wiuld be ok. IT IS NOT! it disturbes little kids with a bunny being caught in a trap around its neck with it coughing up blood. a dog attacks bunnies and flings them around feriously like a chew toy. an evil jack rabbit kills other bunnies mercilessly. this might have been a really good movie thought because it is so reallistic. i mean these are dangers that a pack of bunnies might actually face. i think this raelisticness might actually amuse older kids.

Teen, 16 years old Written by890908w October 10, 2018

Parents Keep An Open Mind!

Parents! Your children need to experience a taste of reality sometimes. Dont shield your children's eyes from reality. They wont thrive if you continue to hide the truth about the world. This movie shows the reality of the world. Yes sad things can happen, but you are strong and dont forget that. This movie shows if you work hard enough you can achieve anything! It also teaches children a lesson about death. Rabbits aren't these small harmless creatures. They have to defend eachother and survive against other enemies. I personally see nothing wrong with the movie. There are some intense scenes, but we need to remember as a society that this is the truth and if we continue to deny it we will keep making the same mistakes. PLEASE KEEP READING! One intense scene shows construction workers covering a rabbits hole and the rabbits below are suffocating and show signs of suffering. The rabbits below are desperate to escape and some die. BEFORE you say, "I'm not letting my kid watch rabbits die". Please keep in mind these scenes have a deeper meaning. This movie isn't JUST about dying rabbits. It shows how humans are harming the environment. It also shows the story of how bad things can happen but, you can't let it slow you down. I reccomend showing children at 12 years of age to see this film with a mature adult. I reccomend having an adult watching this with them, so the child can ask the adult questions about zoology and wildlife and how they can make a difference in protecting the world. Younger children might not grasp that these scenes happen every day and we can make a difference. Remember to make sure your child understands these scenes. These are meant to be inspiring scenes that even the smallest of creatures can be as tough as a bear in any situation. Another intense scene shows a rabbit dictator holding multiple rabbits hostage and if they escape then they are punished. It shows one rabbit getting both his ears ripped off, there is some blood in the scene but nothing too intense. This rabbit lives a happy life in the end because he worked hard to escape. The other rabbits. When the other rabbits rescue the hostage rabbits in the dictatorship area. They help eachother out and this can be a good message if taken with good context. That teamwork can be good and even in the worse situations if you keep strong and have hope you can make it. Never give up. There is some blood, there is also some poetry in the movie that kids might not understand but researching with a parent or encouraging a child to write their own poetry about strength and love is a great idea. This isn't a horrible movie that most parents make it out to be. As a child I watched this with no problem only because I have been raised that bad things happen. but, You can change them if you work hard. But if you give up and cry and pretend problems dont exist. Your kid might never learn that sometimes it's good to face your fears and to learn about the world around them.

Teen, 13 years old Written byFirestar10000 May 24, 2010

A Beautiful Movie, Not For Children

A group of courageous rabbits set on a journey to find a new warren after their old one is suspected to danger by humans. Beautiful mastered animation. Violent scenes prove to be too violent for children under ten.

Kid, 12 years old March 8, 2013

Movie- Watership Down

Watership Down is a movie that is about rabbits that are controlled by other rabbits. Fiver, Hazel, Bigwig, Blackberry, Pipkin, Dandelion, Silver, and Violet are leading a revolution against the unfair ruling of Woundwort. They can’t stop nature from being nature, but they can stop the murder of thousands of rabbits by the other rabbits. This movie was produced and directed by Martin Rosen. John Hubley also worked as the director, but he unaccredited to the movie. Meaning he was not in the credits. The movie was released on October 19, 1978. It was a very successful movie; it was the 6th most popular movie in British Box Office in 1979. It was sold in lots of countries including Germany, Britain, Australia, Netherlands, Finland, and the United States. Watership Down won multiple awards including Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation. It was also ranked 15th in “100 Greatest Tearjerkers”. All the actors were outstanding; some like John Hurt (Hazel) were phenomenal, it is one of his best movies yet. Richard Briers (Fiver), Michael Graham Cox (Bigwig), Ralph Richardson (Threarah), and Nigel Hawthorne (Campion) were also amazing. The movie is not very kid friendly and may trick you when you see the rabbits. It is very violent. I liked all the action and the inspiring revolution. It peaks the top of the animation world. It could be better if there was less violence and more peaceful protests. This movie is not part of a series. When it’s already good why add on?

Kid, 12 years old April 13, 2011

Scary

This movie is very scary, theres lots of blood and rabbits dying in tunnels, the boss rabbit is twisted and evil and creepy looking, there is a scene where rabbit tunnel is being filled up with dirt and the rabbits are all crammed sufficating being barried alife, it was very creepy scene, the movie is really good but its very scary

Teen, 16 years old Written byIchabodCrane November 12, 2010

Full of heart and emotion but VERY graphic.

Suprisingly this movie is indeed very graphic.We see rabbits killed on-screen and there are ALOT of bloody scenes.I would say,only for teens/adults who can deal with rabbits being beaten to death.Deffinately NOT for children.But overall the story has alot of meaning of life and morals.I cried on the ''Bright eyes'' scene where one of the rabbits are close to death and the so say,black rabbit is leading his brother to him.Very touching,yet very graphic.Lots of blood.And Quite disturbing for some viewers.

Teen, 13 years old Written byTherealdirtydan October 7, 2018

Great but a little violent.

Great messages and interesting story but is dark and somewhat violent.

Teen, 15 years old Written byMovieNerd02 June 24, 2018
Usually, I find that Common Sense really overjudges movies. With Watership Down, this is not the case. Instead, it is the user reviews that are too sensitive. I've seen some saying 15+ and others being so sensitive to say 18+. Before letting your child watch this wonderful film, they must have an understanding of death. Also, don't let them watch it if they specifically like rabbits. Don't let the age rating fool you. There is plenty of graphic violence that you could find in a live action R rated film, yet since it is animated, it takes away the impact. Bear in mind that this film was released before the introduction of the PG-13 rating, and kids were much less sensitive in the 70s. The story is beautiful, and is told with exceptional detail and charm. It can teach kids to be aware of the danger around them, but you should wait until they are around 12 with a good understanding of the concept of death before watching this film.

Teen, 15 years old Written byTangyTigerShark July 7, 2016

Oh please

Oh please.. I cant believe how many people overreacted to this movie just because its animated and rated PG with cute bunnies dosnt mean its for kids plus it was made in the 70's and people from that time period are pretty weird. Plus there was no possible PG-13 rating so it made no sense but even though PG means Parental Guidence it dosent mean absolutely for children it means you go to websites like this one. But i havent gotten down with the actual movie but its actually not that violent its a little lighthearted when you think of it the real violence only happens at the end,plus seeing bunny getting violently dunked on by a dog isn't that bad when you have kids that play call of duty which has cussing and blood and guns and the Marvel movies are no worse for an example age of ultron a man gets ridded with bullets but its still pretty bad but not the worse the thing ever.

Kid, 11 years old July 20, 2014

Don't show this to a young kid!!

When I first watched this I was 11 with a few of my friends and even some of them were grossed out by a few of the bloody scenes! I would only show this movie to older kids like me or teenagers.

Kid, 10 years old June 22, 2012

Now.

I liked it at the beginning,Because my teacher thought we'd like it. But later we're like,"Omg." My teacher later had this movie replaced with like OMG a Movie i sorta forget.My Pal,Peri,had this DVD checked out and she said it was a PG violence.Lol. Me and Peri are both 11.Peri does anything. This movie gets an A-Peri and my other friends hate some stuff.

Teen, 15 years old Written bySandra Snowleopard May 7, 2012

Disturbing!

I was totally disturbed by everything about it, and all I had to see was a clip and the theme song! To any overprotective individuals who think "Lion King" was violent (leave my TLK alone! XD), wrong again my friend. See just a clip of this and you'll know what I mean.