All teen and kid member reviews for West Side Story

Kid, 12 years old August 21, 2009

amazing movie... but a bit violent...

i thought that this movie was really good, but they could have taken out some of the violence and killing... the ending was incomplete... i wish they had added a little bit more... like what happened to maria... the beginning was super, but then for the "ramble" it got a bit violent... but it all depends on how mature the person watching it is and it is majorly the parent's decision if their kid is mature or not...
Teen, 16 years old Written byrlwilson January 9, 2012

Good story .... Bad language

Language is VERY bad. The use of the Lords name in vain and derogitory name calling with the use of many curse words. This book is not for children. I had to have my 13 year old read an alternative book at school. I can't believe this got past the schook board!!
Teen, 16 years old Written bypepsicola147 April 9, 2008

Not A Children's Movie

I watched this at school, it is definetely not for those who disapprove of violence or the like. There are a few references to drugs and alcohol, and the Jets are seen smoking a lot. There is a gangster fight, and a girl is almost raped. It's a cruel movie, and shows how brutal people can be.

From ballerinas to gangsters...

I don't understand this movie at all. Good dancing , check , catchy tunes , check but they go from dancing ballerinas to knife holding gangsters. We had to watch it in music class and everyones was like " what the heck??!!" This movie took forever to get to the movie, I mean , what's the point of the color changing screen in the beggining for 15 minutes? Not really appropriate... a bit odd.
Kid, 8 years old September 24, 2011

Phenomenal movie, soundtrack and script.

Kinda violent, profane, sexual....but great lessons about race and a well-written script. one of the best films i’ve ever seen.
Kid, 11 years old February 12, 2011
My Dad told me it was a version of Romeo and Juliet, and you know what that means the ending will be..... It was a bad sad ending. And yes there can be good sad endings.
Teen, 14 years old Written byreader333 May 5, 2009

Graph-Sad (the worst mix)

It was great in the begining, but it got so sad and violent I had to force myself to turn it off. For kids at least 14 at least.
Teen, 14 years old Written byethanct86 January 3, 2016

A poignant treat for mature audiences, fans of musicals or not.

Some classic films have gotten no critical acclaim on their release; others have gotten huge critical success yet have fallen in popularity in recent days. One such is West Side Story. Resulting in one of the profoundest films of all time, West Side Story gathered legends of the present and future from all genres: famed director Robert Wise (Sound of Music) and legendary Broadway choreographer Jerome Robbins** at the helm, prolific composer/conductor Leonard Bernstein with his iconic score, and Stephen Sondheim with the lyrics in his big break. Though it has fallen in popularity and ratings in the past years, Robbin’s memorable characters of Tony, Maria, and the teenage gangs of Manhattan merging with notable dance sequences offer a poignant treat for mature audiences, fans of musicals or not. With the united, recurring finger snaps put to Bernstein’s blaring and catchy score in a nine-minute prologue, we meet two rival teen gangs, the Puerto Rican Jets and the Caucasian Sharks, and, distinguished by the keen cinematography, their two dear and beloved leaders, Bernardo (George Chakiris) and Riff (Russ Tamblyn), respectively. Furthermore in this scene, we witness a brawl between the fuming gangs rendered in spectacular choreography, setting the plot and subsequently building a foundation for future elements towards the frightful “Rumble,” an all-out war between those gangs. Next, the Jets arrive at a Shark’s dance to intimidate the Sharks, but they involuntarily strike a spark between two young attendees, Maria (Natalie Wood), sister to Sharks chief Bernard, and Tony (Richard Beymer), best friend of the Jet’s Riff, resulting into a “love at first sight” against family and racial differences. This film, a possible PG-13 in today’s principles, has not much in question regarding negative content but rather in its material on sex and race that borders offensive. A spin-off from Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, it deals with the deep racial issues between the Puerto Ricans and covetous Jets, emphasized by strong hostility, various, sharp and inventive racial slurs, suggestive comments and mild swears. Just before the “A Boy Like That” number, the two main characters wake up together in bed, implying a sexual interaction, and in a building of tension, Anita, Bernardo’s sister (Rita Moreno), is almost raped by the Jets. Also, as mentioned before, darkness hangs over the film throughout, especially during the second half. Effortlessly, Wise, Robbins and Bernstein smoothed the thick line between the light and depressing. Establishing the standard for modern film-musicals, West Side Story won George Chakiris and Rita Moreno Oscars (justly), beginning Moreno’s journey to the EGOT***. However, the nominations for lead actor and actress were noticeably missing. Although not diverting, Richard Beymer appears tired and drunk throughout while Natalie Wood’s mock accent has been criticized duly as discriminatory. Also, because of Hollywood censors, the creators unfortunately could not include the lover’s suicides as depicted in Romeo and Juliet. But taking that out as a legitimate excuse, West Side Story formed strong characters that left me pensive. I like how the creators make you witness both sides of the episode. First you root for the Jets, then the Sharks, then both, agonizing like a lesser character once saying: “Why do you kids live like there's a war on? When do you kids stop? You make this world lousy!” West Side Story, hits deep with the significant characters yet doesn’t bother much about unimportant ones. The Honorary Oscar-winning choreography isn’t just a show-off of the dancer’s techniques; in my favorite number, “Cool,” an exhilarating release after the death of the Jet’s leader that depicts their pain and agony through grunts and shouts, the sharp choreography enhances their emotions. Let’s just hope that Robbin’s work of genius in West Side Story hopefully may procure its ancient acclaim with a re-release someday.
Kid, 12 years old July 4, 2015
I think this movie is good for 12 to 13 year old's. There is some racism and violence ( but no blood). There are to gangs that fight and the parents are NEVER SEEN !!!!Okay, maybe they are and I wasn't paying attention. But if were they didn't do anything. Other than that its pretty good
Teen, 17 years old Written byDominicboo1 June 22, 2013

Not For Me.

This is not a musical I enjoyed. It starts out lighthearted and fun, but then the first rumble starts....and I hear it only gets worse! The songs are great, but the violence was too much for me. (For Musical Lovers that don't like excessive violence I reccomend My Fair Lady or The Sound of Music) Some songs have references to drugs. (Particularly Officer Krupke) If you can handle the violence, it might be a good movie, but it's not for me!
Teen, 16 years old Written byRobbyboyfye16 March 30, 2012

jh

ok but funny-crazy musical is weird and a-little clunky.
Kid, 9 years old February 27, 2015

West side story

I find this a good film but a little scary for a child of 8 . But for children of 11 better.
Teen, 15 years old Written byStandByMeBuddyBoy February 11, 2015

Favorite Musical

I first saw this movie when my band teacher showed it to us in 6th grade. I fell in love with the movie immediately and have loved it since (I'm actually watching it while writing this review). The music is beautiful and the relationships between the characters are very realistic. Any parent worried about the cursing: at this point, your kid most likely curses. If not now then in at least two years. This movie is a classic and every kid should see it.
Kid, 11 years old February 15, 2014
Great choreography and music(particularly Officer Krupke and America) I had my head under the blankets during the rumble, but my 13 year old sister saw it and she said it started out with fist fights, then Riff and Bernardo whip out knives, SPOILER ALERT: Bernardo stabs Riff, then Tony takes Riff's knife and stabs Bernardo END OF SPOILER. Then everyone gets in a big fight and starts hitting with assorted items. Then dear officer Krupke pulls up and everyone runs. The jets smoke a lot. In one scene the jets physically abuse Anita and call her racist names. This movie is really racist,so if you don't want your kids exposed to that kind of thing, don't let them watch it. Another thing to remember is this is Romeo and Juliet, people! Of COURSE either Maria or Tony is going to die! Sorry, that was a bit harsh. But you get my point, right? Anywho, it's a really great movie. If you like this movie, add grease to your list.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhellokittycaroline March 29, 2012

You will Cry

This film is a classic. it is the winner of ten Academy Awards. I love this movie. i cry like an idiot at the end.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLunaLovegood13 March 21, 2012

WEST SIDE STORY

Teen, 13 years old Written byhagrid21 January 29, 2012

West Side Story Sparkles!

One of the most popular and well known musicals of the day, West Side Story is tame by today's standards, but the messages and behavior of the gangs are iffy. A knife fight leads to the death of two main characters. No blood. Occasional language and frequent smoking. Great choreography and music! Well worth watching!
Kid, 12 years old March 30, 2011

WATCH THIS!!

I love this play/movie. Well I did, but then I got cast as Maria in our school play and Kai's (who plays tony) breath smells terrible! It is so hard to sing duets with him!! I wanted to be a jet, maybe chino (even though I'm a girl) This movie is great! Watch it, or you will be missing out on an amazing movie.
Kid, 10 years old March 12, 2011

Awesomeness!

One of the best movies of all time. I am currently in a play of "West Side Story", starring as Maria, and so I've watched it many times. The stabbing and rumble scene is kind of violent. Girls might feel sad about the Jets taunting Anita (I did!). Overall, one of the best movies (and musicals!).
Teen, 13 years old Written byEquestrian.Samantha March 9, 2011

Absolutely Spectacular

West Side Story, I believe, is a classis for all ages. It is based on Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet. You really feel for the characters by the end, as if you know them. A must see.