Kid reviews for Whale Rider

Excellent, gorgeous drama with uplifting messages.

Teen, 16 years old Written bykitsaru April 9, 2008

This was an excellent movie. It is definitely an enjoyable show!

This was one of the best movies I have seen for a long time. It wasn't a "grown-up" movie, and it wasn't a kiddie show. I think that it was a great movie, definately a break from the usual tired old shows, there were no "bad guys". The grandfather wasn't evil in not letting her be chief, he was just very traditional. This is a very nice change from the usual one-sided baddies in many movies. Over all, I found this movie to be a wonderful movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written bystar April 9, 2008

A movie that is very uniuq with a great story.

Whale Rider is not only a great picture it has a great message two. Should be rated PG-13 but not a very intense PG-13.
Kid, 12 years old December 22, 2013

A little boring

At one part a man asks the boys to, "Hold your d*cks." That's basically it.

Teen, 14 years old Written bylook-it's-amey September 11, 2012

Watched it for School.

We did a film study on Whale Rider, and to be honest, I found it a little boring. I found it hard to follow, but I do admit I did learn something. It has a positive message, and some good role models. Whale Rider deals with sexist people, feminism (In a good way) and family feuds. It also has one use of d*ck So I would recommend this, if you can be bothered, if you want a heart-warming drama.

Kid, 10 years old June 16, 2014
a good story but very very sad and insense

Kid, 9 years old June 23, 2011

Great movie!

Whale Rider is a great movie, but it is sad.

Teen, 16 years old Written byJacrio May 11, 2009
Teen, 13 years old Written byNatty April 9, 2008

This was an okay movie, It was scary at the end!

It was not very easy to understand, and the accents were hard to understand. It was a little slow at the beginning of he movie but the end was very exciting but a little scary. It was sort of hard to understand the spiritual stuff but it was interesting. It was very suspensful at the end, and Whale Rider is a pretty good movie!
Kid, 11 years old October 17, 2010

Perfect for tweens!

I think that this movie sends a message to be strong and do what is right no matter what happens.

Teen, 13 years old Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written bywungastarwars January 20, 2018

Film Is Stunning but Lacks A Sturdy Plot And Has Dull Characters

Only males are allowed to ascend to chiefdom in a Maori tribe in New Zealand. This ancient custom is upset when the child selected to be the next chief dies at birth. However his twin sister, Pai (Keisha Castle-Hughes), survives. At age 12, she enlists the help of her grandmother (Vicky Haughton) and the training of her uncle (Grant Roa) to claim her birthright. But to break with convention, she'll have to do the impossible: win over her ultra-traditional grandfather (Rawiri Paratene).(Google Summary) i recently watched this movie with my family and it was definitely interesting. I could say a lot of bad things about this movie and its hard to point out the good scenes. The film is very stunning with tons of whales scenes. But..the movie was absoutely terrible. CSM really kinda let us down on this one. Almost the whole movie, was people chanting in different languages and screaming and crying. Sometimes it was actually creepy, because the main character Pai, was literally transfixed in some scary state where she was connected to the whales. In the beginning it starts with a tense woman giving birth where somebody immediately dies. It's also pretty depressing and the characters are to cliche just like any other movie. What's even worse is the Grandfather is on the line verbal abusive toward the main character who just wants to be loved. In the end, my family and I were just laughing over the scenes. I don't really recommend this movie at all to anybody. The plot was way to slow, and nothing really happened. In the end, lots of whales just got beached and Pai used some special magic to help them swim back in. Luckily my Mother only paid a minimal amount of money, but for your sake, just skip the ride on this one.
Teen, 15 years old Written byjoc13 April 9, 2008
Teen, 15 years old Written byWayTooDramatic April 9, 2008

A wonderful movie

This is a beautiful movie with a message of love, acceptance and triumphing when the odds are against you. Younger kids who watch this may not completly understand what is happening, so you may have to explain it, but all in all, it is one of the best movies I've seen in a while, and everyone who I know that has seen it loves it.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymoviegeek April 9, 2008

Sad but beautiful...

The young girl who plays the lead role is really an exceptional actress. I loved the whole movie and I cried when the girl's grandfather doesn't show up for her concert. It is beautifully filmed and I liked how she keeps striving to please her grandfather and to be as good a leader as any boy even when nobody approves. Two thumbs up!
Teen, 14 years old Written byMochiWolf March 17, 2018

Um...?

I thought it was kind of boring...maybe I'm missing something...I do like how Pai finally changes her tribe's minds, but other than that, I was bored. Also, a lady DIES IN CHILDBIRTH literally in the first scene of the movie. Sorry, but this just wasn't my favorite...(Also, when the teacher said "If you don't listen, you'd better hold onto your ----" I freaked. I didn't need that in my ears.)

Teen, 15 years old Written byBrigidArmbrust April 8, 2018
Kid, 11 years old January 1, 2019

Sad, and Depressing

I couldn't even appreciate the movie at all because of the depressing story line. It was about people loving each other and hating each other and tragic deaths of family members.
Teen, 14 years old Written bystartrekfordays December 8, 2018

Outstanding film has little iffy content, but heavy themes.

Parents should know the Whale Rider is about a young Maori girl defies her grandfather as she tries to become the next leader. There are multiple messages about gender equality, perseverance, bravery, and this film also features the Maori people in an excellent way. They are portrayed with respect and although the film does get a little silly at times, it never falls back into stereotypes. Despite the positive and uplifting messages, there is still a bit of iffy content plus some very heavy themes and moments. A mother dies at childbirth. A baby dies. There is some arguing, which can get upsetting for some. A character nearly drowns and there is some brief violence revolving around fighting with sticks. There is also a bare back plus mentions of having babies. There is some language as well including dick, bastard, damn, and one barely audible s--t. There are a few references to drugs plus smoking (including a smoking boy) and drinking. The heavy themes of loss being left behind because of your gender also come up, which all make fore some tear-jerking moments. All in all, however, this movies strong messages and role-models ultimately outweigh the iffy stuff and is great for older tweens and up. My Rating: PG-13 for thematic content, brief peril, a drug reference, and some language.

Teen, 13 years old Written byfeargzb26 May 21, 2018