Kid reviews for What If

What If Poster Image

Cute RomCom

Very cute, charming romantic comedy. Slight mature language and scenes, not for the average kid under 14.

Sweet Romantic Comedy for Older Teens...

What if, is about the friendship of Wallace and Chantry. They meet when Chantry is already in a 5+ year relationship, so they agree to just be friends. This movie is very cute. There is a lot of older content in this movie, that's why I think this movie would be best for 14 or 15+. It just depends on the teen. There is lots of references and talk about sex, but no actually sex scenes. A man and women do go skinny dipping though, and you can see some male and female back nudity. It is dimly lit though, so it's not too bad. Language is also present in the movie. All in all, this movie is very good. It is a modern twist on When Harry Met Sally, and I definitely think it is worth watching.

An entertaining but pretty average rom-com

I watched this movie at a sleepover, and I was surprised at the amount of inappropriate content for a PG movie.

Great film, but not great for young teens or kids

I really enjoyed this film, very funny and also very realistic. However, there are many sexual references in this film. There is also a lot of bad language, that is used a lot by one character. I think if your child is mature enough to understand the content, they should still have a parent with them. The film has a good message that you should follow your heart in love and also shows the consequences.

A funny and heartwarming story with great acting

What If is a heartwarming story that deals with the topic of whether or not a young man and woman can be friends without catching feelings. It's funny, sweet, and even relatable. Though it may be somewhat predictable, this movie does a great job of being realistic, which most romance movies fail to do. The acting is great as well. I had seen Daniel Radcliffe before and What If introduced me to a completely different side of his career. In many of his movies such as "The Woman in Black" and the "Harry Potter" series, his character is much darker and more serious, whereas in What If, he is quirky and awkward and weird just like the rest of us. I was new to Zoe Kazan when I watched this. Her performance was amazing and you see a wide range of emotions from her in this movie which is tough to do. As for content, this would be a great rom-com for your older kids. There is fairly strong and frequent cursing, including multiple uses of "sh*t," "d*ck" and "a*shole," and one use of "f*ck." When it comes to sex, the characters treat it as a casual thing that requires no commitment. Both main characters fully nude backs are shown in a scene where the characters go skinny dipping. This scene also includes an "I'll look if you look" moment between a man and a woman, though no frontal nudity is shown. These characters are also forced to sleep naked in a sleeping bag together, but nothing happens between them. A woman is shown in her underwear a few times. A lot of kissing and making out. Major character says he just had sex. Characters are shown drinking at a party and later go to a club, where one of them gets drunk. Positive messages include holding on to the things you love and the effects of cheating. The main female character talks to the main male character about her mother dying when she was young. She says it made her realize how fast everything can fall apart and that it made her never want to give up anything good ever again. After a rough patch in the friendship, this encourages the man to talk to the woman and mend the relationship because it is good and he didn't want to give it up. The man's parents also had affairs and ended up getting divorced. This had a huge impact on the character, especially when his girlfriend cheats on him because he doesn't want to be like his parents. This teaches about the importance of loyalty and genuine love in a relationship. Overall, this movie is sweet, funny, realistic, and emotional. There's a lot of sex and swearing, but there are great messages for teens and (for the most part) the characters are good role models.

Witty, Funny, Sweet, fantastic!

So one of my favorite things about this movie is that I actually could relate to the characters. Their long nights up talking, their awkwardness, their sarcasm and wit, it was fantastic! The comedy is more their banter as they talk than anything else, but if you enjoy that, its perfect. There were a few racier moments, but nothing terrible, some language, but not strong, some violence, but for comedic purposes. I love this movie, and it has quickly become one of my favorites, as a decent movie, with a decent point, decent acting, everything!!!! This movie is perfection.
I thought this movie was rather cute and quite sweet, but there are just a few scenes in the film that bother me. One in particular is a joking conversation about psychopaths, murder of innocent animals and homeless, and the desire to not feel anything. It is a minor piece of the film and nonessential to the plot, but there were a couple troubling scenes to the point that I personally can't recommend this film.

Beautiful romantic comedy with an amazing storyline

Though some people may think that this movie is rather typical with the plot, (friends in love but neither can tell the other how they feel) I personally think that both the casting of the movie and the way it was created shaped a wonderful and heartwarming movie. For many, it is extremely relatable while for others it is unique and new. Overall, it is an amazing movie with laughter and romance and love and friendship and happiness.

Great, but very racy comedy has language, nudity, and drugs

My rating R for: graphic nudity, violence language, racy content, and drug use.

What If is a great example of a romantic comedy

I've been waiting for such a long time to see this film and I loved it. The acting was great and I found that compared to other movies Daniel Radcliffe has starred in, this is another side of his acting career that I have never seen before. Daniel Radcliffe plays Wallace, a lonely guy who had his heart broken by his ex girlfriend after she cheated on him. He has lost all hope for him ever being happy and finding love again, until he meets Chantry. Chantry is an animator who has a boyfriend named Ben. She then meets Wallace through her cousin (who is friends with Wallace). One thing that I took away from the film is the message of cheating on loved ones. The characters are continuously trying to learn from others mistakes. Wallace mentions at one point in the film that he doesn't want to end up like his parents (who got married, cheated on each other and ended up getting a divorce). Then there's Chantry who has never dumped anybody, since she explains that she always tries to make things work. The topic of cheating is greatly discussed in this film and that love should be unconditional. The soundtrack for the film is also very catchy and fits the movie perfectly. I would recommend this film for teens 15+, because at the same time, there is plenty of sexual content in the film, partial back nudity and some swearing.